FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

ML added Continuous RAW recording to Canon 5D Mark III
EOSHD.com just posted a hands-on article on a new Magic Lantern feature which adds continuous RAW recording to the EOS 5D Mark III.

"Magic Lantern have done the seemingly impossible and given us a continuous raw recording mode on the Canon 5D Mark III.

Once activated in the menus the 5D Mark III becomes essentially a full frame Blackmagic Cinema Camera and amazingly mine has not yet exploded. No more short bursts of raw, this is the real thing."

Read entire article | 5D Mark III in stock at B&H Photo and Amazon

There’s no doubt the raw images from the 5D Mark III exceed the quality you get from Canon’s much more expensive cameras, like the C300. The 1D C now also has some serious competition from much cheaper DSLRs. I feel Blackmagic could lose most from this though, and will be a shame if that happens.

" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen>

May 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM
robinlee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

That is continuous RAW video recording, link below.

The photo sample from video shown pretty good, would love to try ML one day only if they have implement DotTune into their firmware.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10324/big-news-hands-on-with-continuous-raw-recording-on-canon-5d-mark-iii

May 13, 2013 at 08:10 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

One way to look at it is the 5D3 can now shoot 4 MP RAW stills at 24 fps (at least). This should be exciting for shooting action. We've come a long way since the 4 MP 8 fps 1D classic.

May 13, 2013 at 08:24 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

I just saw this myself and my first thought was "I hope Canon does not sue ML over this".

May 13, 2013 at 08:30 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Now all ML has to do is manufacture an additional heat sink or CPU cooling system so your 5D3 doesn't turn into a smoldering pile of goo $3k doorstop anyone

May 13, 2013 at 08:50 AM
eco_bach

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

I'm not sure this is 'true' RAW as the image is probably debayered in downsampling to 1080p
See Stu Maschwitz tweet
https://twitter.com/5tu

May 13, 2013 at 09:29 AM
rater

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

vsg28 wrote:
I just saw this myself and my first thought was "I hope Canon does not sue ML over this".

I exactly thought the same...

May 13, 2013 at 09:39 AM
jbooba

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Yep its not debayered - ML writes one big canon RAW file onto the CF card. after that you need a small batch software to convert and "debayer" it ... please check out eoshd.com

JB

May 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

i thought canon was going to add this through firmware anyway? Isn't this what the d800 already does? (or perhaps I am way behind on video)

May 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

I as just going to post this! Holy gob-smacking news!!!!!!!!
Speechless. AMAZING!!!! Incredible!!!!!

May 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

But how the holy heck is that hackers with no documentation or even access to Digic can pull this off to early alpha stage in just like 3 weeks [OK getting to the point they do things at all took way longer but that is another matter] and Canon has had this locked away for over a year??

Is it really that marketing drones have truly taken over the company THAT much and are THAT fearful of product line protection and dribbling and milking?? I don't think even those of us most droning on about that sort of thing every imagined THIS much performance was getting locked away.

Man if they released the camera like this last Spring the thing would've still be permanently out of stock to this very day and made 5D2 sales look like a joke! There wasn't even remote competition for this when the 5D3 had first been released!

Granted it's a weird workflow and maybe they wouldn't want to have supported that but the questions still remain: why does the h.264 out of the camera or the signal sent over HDMI have less DR than 8bit jpgs and have so much less fine detail?

Man, OK maybe the D800 would've had the 36MP and the low ISO DR last year but Canon woulda made them silly with video. Nothing Nikon has to do this very day is within 100miles video-wise. And this seems to suddenly shut down the whole GH2/GH3 craze just like that too.

-------------------------------------

They also just discovered true RAW histograms too (and this is good for stills only folks too)!

-------------------------

Darn do I wish Canon had given it this to begin with for my Vermont trip last fall when the trees where the best color seen since the 1960s according to some. At least my stills came out great.

---------------

If you care about video t all this really gives the 5D3 a big boost compared to the D800 option. The 5D3 video was already better overall (although with less detail) but now 5D3 video just blows away anything NIkon has on offer by miles and even anything from Panasonic.

Edited on May 13, 2013 at 02:23 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Anyway whtever though. Crazy exciting news!!!

May 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

moonpeep wrote:
i thought canon was going to add this through firmware anyway? Isn't this what the d800 already does? (or perhaps I am way behind on video)

Canon did add clean HDMI out the other week but this is soooo much better since the signal they send to HDMI has already been badly compromised.

May 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Another pretty wild comparison:

" width="800" height="304" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen>

May 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM
n210s
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

wow!! over 5gigs for a one minute clip. that's crazy!!

May 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Of course you probably will need to buy like $3000 of CF cards to record it though I bet. And to swap them out every couple minutes or something.
whatever

Edited on May 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

skibum5 wrote:
Another pretty wild comparison:

Whoa.

May 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Good god man check out this comparison:

5D3 brought to you by Canon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7CANqYdhx_U

5D3 brought to you by ML:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10324/big-news-hands-on-with-continuous-raw-recording-on-canon-5d-mark-iii

holy smokes!!
(the engineers who made the amazing video sensor must've been fuming this whole time seeing their baby muzzled so badly this whole time; almost wonder if they have been leaking hints to ML team at times.... in some cases it almost seems like they left some bread crumbs in the firmware and such....)

Edited on May 13, 2013 at 02:24 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM
drcph

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

Fantastic job by the ML guys.

Though Canon definitely cripples the video usability on their DSLRs to protect their higher-end video cameras, it is totally unreasonable to have expected Canon to "unlock" the 1080p RAW on the 5D3 from the start.
Only the fastest 665x or 1000x cards are fast enough (which were barely on the market when the 5D3 was announed), frames are dropped, there's a heavy rolling shutter and a 32gb cards holds about 7 minutes of video (which has to be converted to be able to fit into a standard workflow) - it would've been a support nightmare if it had been implemented.

This way, the most experienced users can use it, and the fact that it has been unlocked will probably put a pressure on the camera manufacturers to add is an option in the coming generations of cameras.

May 13, 2013 at 01:01 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · ML added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III

drcph wrote:
Fantastic job by the ML guys.

Though Canon definitely cripples the video usability on their DSLRs to protect their higher-end video cameras, it is totally unreasonable to have expected Canon to "unlock" the 1080p RAW on the 5D3 from the start.
Only the fastest 665x or 1000x cards are fast enough (which were barely on the market when the 5D3 was announed), frames are dropped, there's a heavy rolling shutter and a 32gb cards holds about 7 minutes of video (which has to be converted to be able to fit into a standard workflow) - it would've been a support nightmare if
...Show more

Good points true, but all the same you at least wonder why they didn't get such crisp video and somewhat better DR out of their h.264 compressed video. Why does that become so much blurrier and register even less DR than 8bit jpg stills?

May 13, 2013 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.