Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · AF settings for surfing?

MaxPollock

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF settings for surfing?

What AF settings should I be using on my 20D?
Thanks.

May 12, 2013 at 01:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF settings for surfing?

Set the AF to AI Servo and use the centre focus point. Also, I prefer to put AF "on the back button", using C.Fn-04 = 3.

What lens will you use?

May 12, 2013 at 02:18 PM
MaxPollock

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF settings for surfing?

so if I'm using center point and the subject is not in the middle will the subject still be in focus?? I'm going to be using 300 f/4 and 400 f/5.6

May 12, 2013 at 02:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF settings for surfing?

MaxPollock wrote:
so if I'm using center point and the subject is not in the middle will the subject still be in focus?? I'm going to be using 300 f/4 and 400 f/5.6

No. The point of focus will be in the centre, and so you have to keep the surfer in the middle. You can stray from this by stopping down to increase DOF (as long as you can find a reasonable place to focus), but you lose shutter speed. The 20D isn't so forgiving with high ISO.

Here's a couple of examples from 2006 taken with a 30D and 300/4L IS + 1.4x Extender, at ISO 400. Your 20D will have virtually identical AF and image quality to my 30D, which replaced my 20D.

May 12, 2013 at 02:33 PM
MaxPollock

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF settings for surfing?

okay thanks a ton. but what is the downside to just selecting all of the auto focus points?

May 12, 2013 at 02:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF settings for surfing?

MaxPollock wrote:
okay thanks a ton. but what is the downside to just selecting all of the auto focus points?

It'll probably focus in the wrong place, besides the centre AF point is by far the most accurate.

In the two examples I posted above, the all-points AF would probably give the same result as I got with centre point for the first photo, but it would almost certainly lock onto the wave in the foreground for the second photo.

May 12, 2013 at 02:40 PM
MaxPollock

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF settings for surfing?

jcolwell wrote:
It'll probably focus in the wrong place, besides the centre AF point is by far the most accurate.

In the two examples I posted above, the all-points AF would probably give the same result as I got with centre point for the first photo, but it would almost certainly lock onto the wave in the foreground for the second photo.

Ahh okay thank you!!

May 12, 2013 at 02:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.