Archive 2013 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

stanj wrote:
True, until you handle the 1DX

I know. I bought a 1DX in August, 2012.

I think the 1DX is pretty good up to ISO 12800. Two years ago, everybody would say "you're hallucinating!".

I still think the 1DsIII is pretty good up to ISO 3200.

May 12, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

PetKal wrote:
After 10 moths of 1DX use, I am not any more impressed with it than I was when I just bought it. However, I do love its high ISO noise handling. The rest of the camera is either ho-hum, or even downright disappointing.

http://p11997.ipscdn.com/public/style_emoticons/default/roflmbo.gif

May 12, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

jcolwell wrote:
I thought the 1DsIII was pretty good up to ISO 3200. Just 'sayin.

1D X at ISO 3200 hardly needs a lick of NR, it's probably better than ISO 800 was on my 1D II at the pixel level. I use one stop lower NR preset in LR for 1D X even than for the 5D III, which is darn good already.

It's also clearly better than 1D IV if you aren't FL limited or not too much so.

May 12, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Robert Carr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

PetKal wrote:
After 10 moths of 1DX use, I am not any more impressed with it than I was when I just bought it. However, I do love its high ISO noise handling. The rest of the camera is either ho-hum, or even downright disappointing.

I'm sorry, but what do/did you expect the 1DX to ACTUALLY do for you ? And how is it disappointing ?

May 12, 2013 at 05:30 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

I am glad I jumped to the 1Dx......just no comparison.......

I can't see how anybody can compare the two either. Again just no comparison.
Consider that IDs Mk III's are still selling for mid $2000 grand, makes the hurt of the 1Dx price a little less and it will be brand new with new technology.

May 12, 2013 at 05:56 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

Pixel Perfect wrote:
http://p11997.ipscdn.com/public/style_emoticons/default/roflmbo.gif

Laugh all you want, Pixie, because after two weeks of owning 1DX you have obviously joined the crowd of forumography 1DX experts.

May 12, 2013 at 06:35 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

Well, for better or worse (what does my opinion count anyway?), I had the 1DX since 7/5 last year and had two 1Ds3s since they were introduced, and I clearly can see a difference pretty much everywhere. The only two negative things about the 1DX is the aforementioned AF point illumination (or lack thereof), and the (a) worse AF point selection method and (b) worse AF point arrangement if you're using the restricted AF point number. But all in all, a big step up.

May 12, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

PetKal wrote:
Laugh all you want, Pixie, because after two weeks of owning 1DX you have obviously joined the crowd of forumography 1DX experts.

Keep telling yourself that Petal if it makes you feel better

See the flaw in your argument is that having already owned the 5D III for 12 months, I have already experienced the major improvements on offer and the 1D X further improves on that. If you are disappointed in the 1D X I can only feel sorry for you.

Of course your have quite a double standard there Petal, as the biggest basher of the 1D III a camera you never touched.

May 12, 2013 at 06:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

stanj wrote:
.... But all in all, a big step up.

+1

May 12, 2013 at 08:19 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

I upgraded to a 1DX from a 1D4 and have been shooting it for almost 8 months now. While I'm happy with it there are some ho-hum things about it. I don't think that is a totally unfair statement.

There can be no doubt that for low light work the high ISO is amazing and it offers quite a noticeable improvement over the 1D4 which was no slouch in that regard. I also like the flash capabilities in camera combined with the 600EX-RT although I wish they could have kept the sync speed to 1/300.

However, the AF system is a draw for me. I've got about 75K actuation's in my time with it and my keeper rate really hasn't changed much. Like my 1D4 it miss tracks occasionally and it also has trouble with static subjects in AI-Servo sometimes. Don't really see a big difference in AF performance with it and that was one of the big things that Canon introduced with this body. Same with FPS. Looks great on a spec sheet but from looking at my photos when I use 12 I just don't see a big change in keepers.

The AF point illumination and Canon's kludge of a fix is an inferior design and always will be compared to the previous 1D's. I would certainly hope that Canon has a better implementation planned for the next 1D body and hopefully the 7D2 as well.

While not a weakness I would say that the pixel density has been a double edged sword for me. I'm sure it helped with its high ISO performance but it also takes away from its cropping ability in FL limited situations. In retrospect, I would have liked to have kept my 1D4 but I had to sell it to afford the 1DX. The 1D4 offers better IQ in decent light which is the vast majority of my outdoor work. Hoping the 7D2 becomes a mini 1DX for this purpose alone.

I still think that Canon rushed this. They simply did not have the technology to truly unify the 1D bodies and keep both camps happy. Maybe a 1DX/7D2 combo will alleviate that.

May 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

pesto wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts. Quite obviously, these questions are inevitably venue dependant. I shoot a lot of pet portraits indoors with flash and my S2 but the Canon may take this over, otherwise I tend to shoot wildlife, landscape, and a bit of architecture outdoors (17 TS-E !!!-it's hard to imaging what something like this would cost comming from Leica). I am left to wonder how heavily the advantages that you list actually will impact the image created in the end, specs aside.

I love my 1Ds3 but for those subjects is a 1Dx really needed?

It's crying out 5D3 to me (I know it not on your list, but it's perfect for these subjects)

May 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

The 1DsIII (and 1DIV) are still excellent cameras capable of high level professional work. However if you're trying to shoot things that are moving fast in the dark (e.g. HS football on a badly lit field), then the 1Dx is Canon's best offering.

If you don't have that need then get the 1DsIII at 1/3 the price.

Robert

May 13, 2013 at 01:29 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

Hi ggreene

Could you elaborate this part to me? (I might end up buying a 1DIV next year)

The 1D4 offers better IQ in decent light which is the vast majority of my outdoor work

Is it just a matter of crop/reach or does it go for DR or any other aspect?

The 5DIII made me pretty happy in decent light and opened my eyes in high ISO already but if the reach of the 1DIV gives me a better result in decent light I would go for it as a second body.

May 13, 2013 at 03:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

ggreene wrote:
...The 1D4 offers better IQ in decent light which is the vast majority of my outdoor work. Hoping the 7D2 becomes a mini 1DX for this purpose alone.

I shoot both a 1DX and 1DIV, often alongside each other. I don't have any particular problem with the 1DIV image quality, but I wouldn't say that it's better than the 1DX.

May 13, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

jcolwell wrote:
I shoot both a 1DX and 1DIV, often alongside each other. I don't have any particular problem with the 1DIV image quality, but I wouldn't say that it's better than the 1DX.

I'm perplexed. I also own 1D IV and 1D X and 5D III and while all are excellent IQ and at low ISO you'll see little difference, but in no way would I claim 1D IV is better in low light. As the ISO increases beyond 800 you start to see advantages to the FF cameras, slight at first but they keep growing. 1D IV holds its own if the others have to be cropped hard.

I can't say I agree with the notion the AF on the 1D X and 5D III is not really any better. Sure it's not infallible as some claim, but overall it can handle many situations better than 1D IV especially with lower contrast subjects and for very erratic fast subjects the AF point switching is much faster.

May 13, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

If you had MF format, get 1Ds MK3. You wont regret it.

May 13, 2013 at 05:53 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

jcolwell wrote:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. In FL limited situations in decent light (under 1000 ISO) I like the extra pixels on target of the 1D4.

As far as AF goes it may well be better for certain situations. I just haven't run into them doing sports/equestrian work. I don't find the keeper rate any different then my 1D4 from my experience. Obviously, YMMV.

May 13, 2013 at 06:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

jcolwell wrote:

ggreene wrote:
Sorry, I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. In FL limited situations in decent light (under 1000 ISO) I like the extra pixels on target of the 1D4.

As far as AF goes it may well be better for certain situations. I just haven't run into them doing sports/equestrian work. I don't find the keeper rate any different then my 1D4 from my experience. Obviously, YMMV.

OK. Got you. Thanks for the clarification.

May 13, 2013 at 07:21 PM
gpgt1998
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

When I decided to upgrade from the 1DsIII I didn't see enough of a marked improvement in the DX to justify buying one. I ended up picking up a Hasselblad H3DII-31. For my work high ISO isn't a real concern but I wanted better color rendition and dynamic range, so medium format was the best choice. I still use the 1DsIII for wide angle landscape and as a backup. It doesn't see much use anymore though.

May 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

I loved my 1ds3. I sold it about this time last year when the used market went through the roof. I bought a 5d3 and loved it. I've been using the "X" for a while and really love it too...

What I really love about the "X" is how it really woke up my 100-400. That combo is smok'in hot. Now I use the 100-400 on the "X" and use my 1d4 on my 400 2.8. Before the "X" came along, I rarely used the 100-400.

My 100-400 was/is a tad soft with my 1d3/4/ 7D.... However, it's tack sharpe on the 5d3 & 1DX... Go figure!

May 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.