New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

pesto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

I have been shooting medium format and have recently decided to add a DSLR to cover the extremes of focal length and, to a lesser extent, speed missing with my existing system. I previously had a EOS 1DsIII and thought it to be a great camera and am inclined to look for another, but wonder if the Dx, as a more modern camera, offers a meaningful step up or is merely evolutionary in matters that may not warrant the price differential. It is refreshing to hear all the positive comments regarding the DsIII here, thus confirming my recollections. Simply stated, I fail to see that new versions take away from the value of their predecessors, they are still great cameras. Does anyone here have any thoughts regarding the DsIII vs the Dx that might sway me one way or the other given that I have been away from Canon for quite a while?

May 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

The 1Ds III was a great camera, and I really liked mine, but the 1Dx is better in a lot of ways:

- much better high ISO performance
- slightly better dynamic range
- better Live View operation
- better rear LCD
- better AF performance
- more speed
- better (more accurate) metering
- slightly better control ergonomics
- slightly better viewfinder
- very good video performance (which the 1Ds III lacked altogether)

May 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

molson wrote:

That is debatable, as it suffers from the by now infamous "invisible AF point" problem. I definitely found the 1Ds3 viewfinder to be superior to the new one, by miles.

May 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM
pesto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

Thanks for your thoughts. Quite obviously, these questions are inevitably venue dependant. I shoot a lot of pet portraits indoors with flash and my S2 but the Canon may take this over, otherwise I tend to shoot wildlife, landscape, and a bit of architecture outdoors (17 TS-E !!!-it's hard to imaging what something like this would cost comming from Leica). I am left to wonder how heavily the advantages that you list actually will impact the image created in the end, specs aside.

molson wrote:
The 1Ds III was a great camera, and I really liked mine, but the 1Dx is better in a lot of ways:

- better rear LCD
- better AF performance
- more speed

May 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

I would have to agree with Stan that the view finder AF points in the Dx are a disappointment than those of the Dslll or even the Mk4. Otherwise the Dx is superior in every way even with less pixels than the Dslll. but with that said the Dslll is still a great camera and with today prices for this 1d body its a steal and a half, especially if your range of shooting is in the ISO range of 100 to 1000 and if you don't need a camera with a mega frame rate. If sports shooting wasn't my main stay of shooting I would have never sold my Dsll which i sold to helped fund my Dx.

Andy

May 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

If your photography hinges on very high FPS as well as the best high ISO performance, then you can probably justify sinking $6k + on 1DX.

If not, then I'd be just as happy, if not happier, shooting with significantly less expensive 1DsMkIII.

Edited on May 12, 2013 at 01:27 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2013 at 01:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

I traded up from a 1DsIII to 1DX last fall, in order to get a full frame camera with high fps, tha I can use alongside my 1DIV for sports and BIF. If you don't need the high fps (or high ISO, or video), then the 1DsIII is an excellent choice, and a real bargain.

May 12, 2013 at 01:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

PetKal wrote:
If your photography hinges on very high FPS as well as superb high ISO performance, then you can probably justify sinking $6k + on 1DX.

If not, then I'd be just as happy, if not happier, shooting with significantly less expensive 1DsMkIII.

Jinx! You owe me a Coke.

May 12, 2013 at 01:27 PM
andy_king
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

5d3s

May 12, 2013 at 01:31 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

jcolwell wrote:
Jinx! You owe me a Coke.

No problem.

Just yesterday I was thinking about this very topic: if I needed a backup camera for my 1DX, I'd probably get 1DsMkIII.

After 10 moths of 1DX use, I am not any more impressed with it than I was when I just bought it. However, I do love its high ISO noise handling. The rest of the camera is either ho-hum, or even downright disappointing.

May 12, 2013 at 01:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

PetKal wrote:
...The rest of the camera is either ho-hum, or even downright disappointing.

Yeah. I should have kept my 40D.

May 12, 2013 at 01:35 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

jcolwell wrote:
Yeah. I should have kept my 40D.

True. I still have mine....a very good camera that 40D.

May 12, 2013 at 01:39 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

molson wrote:

- better rear LCD
- better AF performance
- more speed

+1

I am glad I jumped to the 1Dx......just no comparison.......

May 12, 2013 at 02:06 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

stanj wrote:
That is debatable, as it suffers from the by now infamous "invisible AF point" problem. I definitely found the 1Ds3 viewfinder to be superior to the new one, by miles.

I normally have the AF points turned off so I can see whether or not the image is in focus. Having the screen cluttered with flashing coloured lights might be entertaining for the video-game geeks, but I'm more interested in using the camera for photography, for which I find the 1Dx is unquestionably better.

May 12, 2013 at 02:08 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

I don't have any problem at all with the "invisible AF points" issue. Mine is set to selected - constant and auto. I will admit that if I were using the 1D X for mostly interior shooting, then the AF points can be a little difficult to see.

I've only used the 1D X seriously for the past 2 weeks and I will have to agree with PetKal's comments that the 1D X hasn't yet to "blown me away". I'm not saying it's not a great camera, but as of today, I'm on the fence.

Regarding the files that come out of the 1D X at high ISO settings, again the jury is still out. I'm leaning to a more pleasing noise pattern from the files from the 1D IV than the 1D X.

I still need to do far more shooting to make a definitive conclusion. My statements are based on my shooting style and observations. My comments certainly do not reflect the capabilities of the 1D X for all shooting situations.

May 12, 2013 at 02:37 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

stanj wrote:

Oh, and just an FYI... if for some reason you do want the flashing red AF points in your 1Dx, just set "VF display illumination" to "ON"

May 12, 2013 at 02:48 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

molson wrote:

stanj wrote:

molson wrote:
Oh, and just an FYI... if for some reason you do want the flashing red AF points in your 1Dx, just set "VF display illumination" to "ON"

Believe it or not, I have that turned on. But that works only in Servo mode, then you have the grid and ALL the AF points flashing, and it's a big circus altogether. All other cameras that I've had, starting with the 1N in the 90s, had the AF points illuminated in a sensible fashion so that they were always visible, whether it was at night or in the bright CA sun. Heck even my new SL1 does it right... and it's not nearly as offensive as you make it sound to be.

I have no idea why they had to "fix" something that wasn't broken for the past 20 years. The Nikon D4 gets it right, despite having an otherwise equally "nifty" viewfinder with superimposed grid and such.

May 12, 2013 at 03:18 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

Pretty simple as I see it for still imaging: If you require ISO in excess of 800; can make use of high FPS; can make use of better autofocus: Get the 1DX. It is much better in these areas than the 1ds III is. If those things don't matter, get a 1Ds Mark III. The other benefits of the newer camera don't matter much, in my experience.

John Caldwell

Edited on May 12, 2013 at 04:54 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2013 at 03:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

John Caldwell wrote:
Pretty simple as I see it for still imaging: If you require ISO in excess of 800; can make use of high FPS; can make use of better autofocus: Get the 1DX. It is much better in these areas than the 1ds II is. If those things don't matter, get a 1Ds Mark III. The other benefits of the newer camera don't matter much, in my experience.

John Caldwell

I thought the 1DsIII was pretty good up to ISO 3200. Just 'sayin.

May 12, 2013 at 04:22 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1Ds III or 1Dx

jcolwell wrote:
I thought the 1DsIII was pretty good up to ISO 3200. Just 'sayin.

True, until you handle the 1DX

May 12, 2013 at 04:31 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.