New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

sstyler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

I can't remove the battery grip on my 5D Mk II. It was a bit hard to install, but now the wheel just turns freely. I sent it to Canon for an estimate. They want $260.00 for the camera and another $150 to repair the grip. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and if there's any other way to get the grip off without damaging the camera. My other choice is to just leave is alone. It is firmly attached and works fine. I just can't remove it. Suggestions?

Many Thanks

May 12, 2013 at 08:46 AM
Robr
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

A gear has broken in the grip.( happened to me also).
Leave the grip, or remove it by taking it apart in pieces an buy a new one, probaply cheaper.

May 12, 2013 at 09:15 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Yep its a know issue . Google will find you aplenty of the same .

Basicly inside the grip you have a plastic gear and a metal gear . Its no surprise the plastic one strips .

Good luck .

May 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM
gkas
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Yep its a know issue . Google will find you aplenty of the same .

Basicly inside the grip you have a plastic gear and a metal gear . Its no surprise the plastic one strips .

Good luck .

The plastic gear strips before the camera is damaged. If it was all metal, then people would be ripping the mounting plate out of the bottom of the camera.

May 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

gkas wrote:
The plastic gear strips before the camera is damaged. If it was all metal, then people would be ripping the mounting plate out of the bottom of the camera.

True, although people find plenty of ways of stripping the tripod socket, e.g., installing arca plates. They should make hex wrenches with even shorter handles....

May 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

gkas wrote:

I'm sorry but there ain't no way you going to 'rip the mount out of the bottom of the camera' even if all the geared pieces and the thumb wheel were metal .
Think how much you can tighten a anything that mounts to the 1/4 inch tripod bush .

But I'll go further . The whole grip attatchment design is so half ar$$ed its unreal . Its probably the worst design you could possibly come up with .
One mounting point in the middle is stupid .(dont get me started on the dummy battery that pokes into the camera . )

They could quite easily have designed a quick release that clips into 2 or 3 points along the base of the body . And you could have it that you draw power from some contacts on the base of the body in much the same way as the WFT transfers data. (infact i think the wft transfers power as well?) That way you 1: don't have to remove the door and 2: either run 3 batteries or just 1 or 2 in the grip (with the body battery compartment empty.

It really isn't difficult to come up with a better design . But in the meantime I've seen a couple of web pages that show how to replace the plasticky parts with metal ones

May 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Maybe Canon is more focused on bringing new camera models to market than they are to standing behind an existing product that appears to have a design problem and fixing it for their current customers. Thanks for the information. Guess I'm "stuck" with it.

May 12, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

sstyler wrote:
Maybe Canon is more focused on bringing new camera models to market than they are to standing behind an existing product that appears to have a design problem and fixing it for their current customers. Thanks for the information. Guess I'm "stuck" with it.

The grip in question is an original Canon model? Ouch

May 12, 2013 at 01:54 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Yes. It's a canon grip.

May 12, 2013 at 03:42 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

I halfway thought (hoped) Canon would fix it for free since it's a problem with their own battery grip. Hahahaha

May 12, 2013 at 03:44 PM
cocosphere
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

I bought a 5d II a year or so ago that had a stuck grip on it and had the same initial shock as you when I got the quote to fix it. If you google "stuck canon grip" or something like that you should find the same tutorial I used to fix mine. It's not for the meek. I used a dremel on the plastic thumb wheel and then a small screwdriver and a hammer to back off the brass gear once I had the clearance. The replacement parts are about $40 to fix the grip if I remember correctly.

May 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try.

May 13, 2013 at 06:50 AM
ilija

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Mine also got stuck almost a year ago and now I finally decided to fix it myself. I followed these instructions:

Tricky part is to break a plastic wheel. I used a bit different method then described in the video: instead of using wire cutter I used small screwdriver, heated it with lighter and made several holes which were enough to break larger piece of the wheel.
Also, here's a spare part you will need: http://uscamera.com/cg2-2404.htm

Good luck!

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:00 PM
shooter00

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

The battery grip on my 1D MKIV has been stuck on it ever since I bought it several years ago and I still can't get it loose....

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:18 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Hahahaha. Good one.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Been there done that since I only buy Zeikos(SP) grips they use a metal gear from my research at the time.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM
wnichols
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Yeah that really stinks, did the same think on my old 50D and had to cut it apart piece by piece, not a pretty sight. Hope some of the better tutorials people have given you work better. It's amazing how well made the rest of the grip is when you start trying to cut it off, now if just that plastic gear was made that well.

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:55 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

tell Canon you bought the grip within past year... it's their fault and they need to fix it.

/r
Andy

Sep 11, 2013 at 06:24 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

I had he same issue with the 40D grip.
grips feel loose and when you tighten slightly too much they are ruined
I stopped using grips after that.

buy a 1 series if you want a grip that will not break

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stuck Canon Battery Grip

Fortunately, mine broke snug to the camera body so it really doesn't bother me, aside from the fact that I can't take it off if I want to. Live and learn.

Sep 11, 2013 at 09:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.