Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Composition - learn from one of the best

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Composition - learn from one of the best

As I posted in another thread, take a look at:

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/06/learn-composition-from-the-photography-of-henri-cartier-bresson/

May 12, 2013 at 02:29 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Composition - learn from one of the best

Unless I'm doing something wrong, please note the following message when you click on the link:

The Foundation of Henri Cartier-Bresson has asked that this article be taken down. Apologies.

May 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Composition - learn from one of the best

Yeah, I got the same message.
Is there another way to access this? Or should we not even try.

Scott

May 13, 2013 at 01:07 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Composition - learn from one of the best

If you can't get to the article, just go out and look at Henri Cartier-Bresson's photos. Think about why he chose to compose the image as presented.

May 13, 2013 at 02:04 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Composition - learn from one of the best

I believe it was the same as:

http://www.adammarelliphoto.com/2011/09/henri-cartier-bresson/

May 14, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Composition - learn from one of the best

AuntiPode wrote:
I believe it was the same as:

http://www.adammarelliphoto.com/2011/09/henri-cartier-bresson/

Yup, that works -

Thanks!

Bob

May 14, 2013 at 08:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Composition - learn from one of the best

This link worked for me also.

I love the images of HCB and always learn something when I look at one and study it. ...I did not especially care for the analysis and comments of from Adam Marelli. This did inspire me to think about building a photography library. I think I need to look for a really good book of HCB images. Just the images, no analysis.

May 15, 2013 at 01:50 PM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Composition - learn from one of the best

http://theportraitplace.co.uk/artcolcontrast.php

http://theportraitplace.co.uk/arttechcomp.php

May 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Composition - learn from one of the best

Diggin' the links to the pre-photography image making perspective.

Color, contrast, lines, geometry, scale, mass, rhythm, tone, subject, negative space, leading lines, implied, transition, focus, blur, etc. ... nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, commas, parenthesis, question mark, predicate, exclamation mark, tone, mood, pace, etc.

"See Dick run."

or,

"Mesmerized by their motion resembling the agility and grace of gazelles, we watched every delightful movement as Jane playfully chased Dick, frolicking among the meadow flowers, each with the carefree spirit of a dog scampering after a flitting butterfly."

The elements of composition (verbal, non-verbal) are contained, arranged and assembled into the message that you send. Our writing or image making styles are related to our chosen utilization of the compositional elements at our disposal and degree of refinement we choose to present ... i.e. "command & control" @ "What's your point?, "What is the message that you want to convey to your viewer?" or "Where do you want to 'draw the eye' of your viewer?" ... and how much ancillary information do you need/want to have accompany, augment, explain where you've taken them?

From HCB to Renoir (Irene adorns the wall) to Andrew Wyeth (coffee table) to Shakespeare to Mozart, the masters are masters because they "mastered" their utilization of the compositional elements to produce and present their message.

At the risk of sounding blasphemous to what some might perceives as the holy grail of photography ... HCB's work is kinda "hit & miss" for me, but I recognize his mastery of his style and his "command & control". Personally, I'm a bit taken toward Paul Strand's style, noting that both (and many others) had "command & control" over their utilization of the compositional elements. To me, the mark of mastery is "command & control" over one's utilization decisions ... with style being infinitely variable.

Some work with a pallete of relatively few of the elements as their mainstay, while others incorporate a more complex utilization in their style. But, in each case they have "command & control" of the elements they choose to use (which begins with the knowledge of their existence and influence on their audience). How we choose to use, arrange and assemble the elements of composition to deliver our intended message ... well, that's what makes us each a composer of image making using electro-mechanical devices instead of oil, or watercolor, sounds or words ... or as most would call us, photographers ... but we really are all "composers", imo.

Edited on May 16, 2013 at 06:32 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2013 at 01:30 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Composition - learn from one of the best

Too much analysis and who's to say if HCB wasn't just lucky or epic as a result of volume? Even then, sometimes images are just pleasing or interesting and have none of these rules or analysis. My wife's sister takes amazing photos with her iPhone, she can draw lifelike portraits with charcoal and does exciting work in abstract colors. She's just very visually talented in many ways. Some people have that gift. But I don't think one can apply geometry by manipulating people and objects to meet a set of rules (or guidelines).

Photography is about capturing the world as it is. By taking what one sees and maybe (at most) tinting it with the way they things.

I don't think it's about manipulating it. Not too much anyway.

May 16, 2013 at 05:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Composition - learn from one of the best

Imo, there's a fine line of semantics between manipulating vs. recognizing an opportunity to capture and present. Repositioning oneself to generate a different visual angle that aligns objects within a scene could be conceived as either @ "half-empty" vs. "half-full" @ manipulating vs. capture.

+1 @ not to meet a set of rules, but to use understanding (not rule based) @ the elements for your composition ... photo, charcoal or abstract ... to create your vision.

May 16, 2013 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password