New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

misterOphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Another recurring theme in this debate is the posting of photos taken in good light. This misses the point, I think. Try taking high ISO photos in a dark nightclub, for example, and you'll see where the complaints come from. The 7D is a great camera, I particularly liked it for shooting airshows. However, images shot in a dim chapel I found less than impressive. Horses for courses and all that jazz.

May 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Yes absolutely horses for courses. If you plan to do a lot of low light work at high ISO you really shouldn't be considering any crop sensor camera at all so I feel it is unfair the 7D is singled out for criticism.

Low light high ISO is really the realm of full frame cameras.

May 19, 2013 at 04:17 AM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

mgkaplan wrote:
I used the 7D through Dec. 2012. Then I purchased a 6D. "High ISO - Low Light" photography is one of my common shooting environments. When I saw what the 6D could do, I immediately disposed of my 7D, my 5DMKII and my 60D. I then purchased a 5DIII. With the 6D and the 5dMKIII, I am in 'High ISO heaven.'

Yes the 7D has its strong points, but for those of us who thrive on High ISO, it does not hold a candle (no pun intended) the 6D or 5D3.

Just out of curiosity, why would you keep the 6D after you got the 5DIII? Unless you are a pro and need a backp body, it seems a bit redundant.

May 19, 2013 at 06:03 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Kmccarthy wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why would you keep the 6D after you got the 5DIII? Unless you are a pro and need a backp body, it seems a bit redundant.

I've not used a 6D but by all accounts it edges the (otherwise excellent) 5D3 at very high ISO which is what the poster was after, plus it's smaller and lighter.

May 19, 2013 at 07:14 AM
keithreeder
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

abqnmusa wrote:
7D was too noisy from day 1. That is the main point

Because you were - and are - incapable of using it to its best advantage.

May 19, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

misterOphoto wrote:
Another recurring theme in this debate is the posting of photos taken in good light. This misses the point, I think. Try taking high ISO photos in a dark nightclub, for example, and you'll see where the complaints come from. The 7D is a great camera, I particularly liked it for shooting airshows. However, images shot in a dim chapel I found less than impressive. Horses for courses and all that jazz.

Bit hard to shoot birds in the dark; can't find them for a start.

May 19, 2013 at 05:37 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Bit hard to shoot birds in the dark; can't find them for a start.

Excellent point; and it illuminates a key issue: a camera that is good or even excellent at certain tasks may not be so for other tasks. As stated, it's a matter of different horses for different courses, using the right tool for the job, etc.

So I confess, but I do not repent! I am a 7D defender!

May 19, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

BrianO wrote:
Excellent point; and it illuminates a key issue: a camera that is good or even excellent at certain tasks may not be so for other tasks. As stated, it's a matter of different horses for different courses, using the right tool for the job, etc.

So I confess, but I do not repent! I am a 7D defender!

Who cares if the 7D is not great in nightclubs, wouldn't even take my 1D X into one. As you say the right tool for the job.

May 19, 2013 at 06:12 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I just wish I could merge two of my cameras, 7D get less keepers than 1DIII but 7D has resolution. 1DIII almost 100% will track and focus on birdlife where 7D I find I have to delete quite a few. choosing between the two cameras can be a real pain at times

May 22, 2013 at 09:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

aladyforty wrote:
I just wish I could merge two of my cameras, 7D get less keepers than 1DIII but 7D has resolution. 1DIII almost 100% will track and focus on birdlife where 7D I find I have to delete quite a few. choosing between the two cameras can be a real pain at times

I did exactly this about two years ago when I sold my 7D and 1DIII to help pay for a new 1DIV.

May 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Canon should drop the 7D and put the manufacturing effort into making 1DIV's at a more affordable price.

May 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Who cares if the 7D is not great in nightclubs, wouldn't even take my 1D X into one. As you say the right tool for the job.

Aw c'mon. You know you are curious to see if your 1DX will survive immersion in a pitcher of beer after being kicked around the dance floor.

May 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

May 22, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

abqnmusa wrote:
Canon should drop the 7D and put the manufacturing effort into making 1DIV's at a more affordable price.

+1

Excellent idea! A companion to the 5D3, but the 1.3X sensor and more action "sports" oriented.

May 22, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Gunzorro wrote:
+1

Excellent idea! A companion to the 5D3, but the 1.3X sensor and more action "sports" oriented.

A 7D2 with less noise and 5D3 AF is a far better idea.

May 22, 2013 at 02:59 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

jcolwell wrote:
I did exactly this about two years ago when I sold my 7D and 1DIII to help pay for a new 1DIV.

I d love to do that although still unsure it would have the reach and in any case would not sell 7D because hubby wants a second one for his video projects.

May 22, 2013 at 09:10 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

so if anyone can give me some tips on improving my keepers with the 7D, Id be happy. I have looked at heaps of photos of birds taken with 1D4 and the good ones are all with more than a 400mm lens, I don't want to carry any more weight than the 100-400L, so a 1.6 crop sensor to ME is the best solution, Love my 1DIII but many times if I take it out and capture a bird at any more than a few metres away, I end up disappointed with the lack of resolution. 7D always plenty to play with

May 22, 2013 at 09:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I non-anti-repent because I always claimed and still claim that the 7D is the best cam for distant birds (and I say this still even having sold it to fund a 5D3).

May 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Imagemaster wrote:

these are just stunning, can you tell me what is your work flow, are these from RAW?, lightroom or PS or both etc

May 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Imagemaster wrote:
A 7D2 with less noise and 5D3 AF is a far better idea.

Yes, the latter, 5D3 AF, would be a dream, and for me either 1.3 or 1.6 crop as long as pixel density (translate: reach) is maintained or increased. I know IQ will be fine.

May 23, 2013 at 08:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.