FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

aladyforty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

lets be Honest, 7D is a bit noisy, especially when you are in lower light, you have to expose well, its not a camera for a beginner. I remember when I purchased mine the guy in the shop saying he'd had one returned within 24 hours because the person could not get a decent noiseless shot out of it....my take on it was that they didn't have a clue what they were doing. I can say noise is the only thing about 7D I dislike but I work with it because its the best camera I have that can reach what I'm photographing with only 400mm lens. For those who say go buy a 6D....it wont solve the issue of reach... unless you can get really close full frame as lovely and clean as the shots are need longer lenses which cost WAYYYYY more than I can afford...

May 16, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I don't mind my 7D's noise, but I also don't find the ubiqutious advice about "nailing exposure" very useful. If the light is low enough to make me bump the ISO, chances are I can't spare enough shutter speed to expose to the right--I'll take noise over motion blur any day. Also, most scenes I shoot have enough dynamic range that I'll want shadow recovery even if I've pushed my hilights all the way to the right.

May 16, 2013 at 06:34 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Kisutch wrote:
I don't mind my 7D's noise, but I also don't find the ubiqutious advice about "nailing exposure" very useful. If the light is low enough to make me bump the ISO, chances are I can't spare enough shutter speed to expose to the right--I'll take noise over motion blur any day. Also, most scenes I shoot have enough dynamic range that I'll want shadow recovery even if I've pushed my hilights all the way to the right.

Sounds like you need to buy a full frame camera then!

May 16, 2013 at 08:43 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

aladyforty wrote:
... For those who say go buy a 6D....it wont solve the issue of reach... unless you can get really close full frame as lovely and clean as the shots are need longer lenses which cost WAYYYYY more than I can afford...

You know, if you just crop the image from the 22.3 MP 5d3 sensor to match the APS-C 1.6x crop factor, you wind up with a 9 MP image. So that begs the question: are 9 Million great pixels better or worse that 18 million noisy ones?

That 9 MP image has the same "reach" as your APS-C 18 MP image.

May 16, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

aladyforty wrote:
lets be Honest, 7D is a bit noisy, especially when you are in lower light, you have to expose well, its not a camera for a beginner. ...

I agree completely. I like my 7D, I really do, its a great body. If only the sensor was as robust and forgiving as my 5Ds have been. But I'm not a professional, I'm a tourist trying to photograph what I see when I see it. Too often the light is not good and I'm trying to capture a critter in a fleeting moment. If I could set up a tripod and wait for the right light or positioning things might be different but family or other tour group members don't allow me that kind of patience. Too often the 7D images just fall apart. I've spent over a year trying to learn to finesse the best out of noisy images in Lightroom. I've gotten pretty good at it, but in several comparison shots I've made, my 5D2 shots look better than the same 7D shots downresed to 5D2 reach.

I blew a bunch of my retirement savings on a 5D3 because of f8 autofocus. Now that firmware 1.2.1 is here I'm going to do comparisons using the 100-400 on both cameras with the 1.4x2 on the 5D3. My strong suspicion is that the 5D3 combo will be the winner and you will see my lightly used 7D offered up here for sale at a good price.

May 16, 2013 at 09:09 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

amacal1 wrote:
You know, if you just crop the image from the 22.3 MP 5d3 sensor to match the APS-C 1.6x crop factor, you wind up with a 9 MP image. So that begs the question: are 9 Million great pixels better or worse that 18 million noisy ones?

you have a point, I am pondering the purchase of the 5DIII in the hope that it can be the only camera I take on a trip later in the year where I need full frame quality for landscape yet want to photograph the wildlife of the area, mainly birds. when I try to photograph birds at distance with my 5DII more often than not the focus seems to be off the face/eyes of the bird. maybe 5DIII can do a better job. however even if I did get one Id still keep 7D

May 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I agree completely. I like my 7D, I really do, its a great body. If only the sensor was as robust and forgiving as my 5Ds have been. But I'm not a professional, I'm a tourist trying to photograph what I see when I see it. Too often the light is not good and I'm trying to capture a critter in a fleeting moment. If I could set up a tripod and wait for the right light or positioning things might be different but family or other tour group members don't allow me that kind of patience. Too often
...Show more

when you do please post the comparison image in here

May 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I blew a bunch of my retirement savings on a 5D3 because of f8 autofocus. Now that firmware 1.2.1 is here I'm going to do comparisons using the 100-400 on both cameras with the 1.4x2 on the 5D3. My strong suspicion is that the 5D3 combo will be the winner and you will see my lightly used 7D offered up here for sale at a good price.

I wouldn't bet on it, but give it a try.

May 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

amacal1 wrote:

Precisely! Well well and succinctly put! Having never owned a 5D3, I don't know the answer, but I would love to see someone who owns a 7D and a 5D3 perform this test and demonstrate what the quality difference, if any, is.

This is the reason why I am eagerly waiting for the mythical Canon megapixel answer to the D800 to leave the realms of conjecture and actually make an appearance. Cropping a 46MPixel image or whatever it is going to have is going to be so much nicer.

May 17, 2013 at 02:58 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

aladyforty wrote:
when you do please post the comparison image in here

Wilco. It may be a bit before I can get to this as I just returned from a month trip to Istanbul, Bhutan, and Nepal and I have about 40 G of images to sort through. This was my 1st trip with the 5D3 and I'm anxious to see how it performed compared to the 5D2. It was a hectic group tour in some challenging lighting so I used it in auto-ISO most of the trip. First finding, and to echo others, this thing can focus in the dark!

May 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Imagemaster wrote:
I wouldn't bet on it, but give it a try.

Well, several thoughts:

1) I'm not as accomplished as you in capturing the amazing images you do. I just haven't had the success rate you have with the 7D. All my 5Ds have been really dependable given my often spontaneous photography style.

2) I use my 7D exclusively with my 100-400 which represents only about 10% of my final selected imagery. But perhaps the most fun! I don't think there is much argument that if not reach limited the 5D3 is superior. (unless you really need 8 fps, in which case you really need a 1D)

3) While I often travel by air with just one body, the model trip my kit is based on is an African game safari where I have a 24-105 on a 5D# and a 100-400 on a 2nd body. I currently have 5D2, 5D3, and 7D. I'm going to sell one body. Which one? For a dusk game run will the 1.4x on the 5D3 be worse than the poor low light ability of the 7D? How much does the 1.4x degrade the 5D3's AI focus ability for BIF? The 5D3 1.4x 100-400 weighs 3/4 lb more than the 7D 100-400 combo. How significant is this in my use? These are the questions I'll be trying to answer over the next couple of months.

May 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Oh God I just googled some landscape images and 7D....I have to be doing something wrong, some awesome shots out there, I have to learn to process 7D landscapes way better than I am.!!

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/planet7d/pool/interesting/

May 17, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I mostly use my 7D for birding, but have done the occasional landscape, some macro and sports work

Here's a few

May 18, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Another 5

May 18, 2013 at 04:43 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

These are all great shots!!!

Ok so I heard canon may not continue on with their crop sensors I know technically its not more reach but I really hope they make a 7II first (without noise issues)

May 18, 2013 at 05:30 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

aladyforty wrote:
These are all great shots!!!

Ok so I heard canon may not continue on with their crop sensors I know technically its not more reach but I really hope they make a 7II first (without noise issues)

Thanks.

Where did you here they may abandon crop sensors?

Personally I would love them to move the 7D II to a 1.3x crop sensor, with 21MP which would be ~36MP FF. So still good deal more effective reach than 5D III and 1D X when FL limited and no doubt with digic 6 should be even better than the 1D IV and similar to the 5D III in noise.

Edited on May 18, 2013 at 08:36 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2013 at 06:40 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

gossip on another site is all

May 18, 2013 at 08:06 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Have had a couple of 7D.
A defective one that was worse at ISO 100 from noise perspective than at 800.

Another that was great upto 800.. but beyond, I always found that the cropping was hard due to the amount of noise in the images.
This compared to a D7k.

May 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I've said this before in similar threads but I think it bears repeating. I think the issues many of us have with the 7D are due to the way we use the camera, to extend reach and stop action for wildlife or sports. These are situations where we are pushing ISO and shutter speed to capture a fleeting moment. We're using slower long zooms like the 100-400. Then we look at the images to see if we've gotten satisfactory feather detail and are disappointed.

I also have a G1X and am delighted with the image quality I get from it. Intellectually I know there is not a nickels' worth of difference between its pixel level sensor IQ and the 7D's, but I can only use it with an effective 28-110 f2.8-5.8 lens and use it to capture landscapes and other travel photography. I never see threads entitled "my 60D is too noisy" probably because the majority of 60D users use it as their only camera for a full range of subjects - like Pixel's fine collection above. If that butterfly image doesn't turn out, oh well, its only one of many otherwise fine images. Gochugogi loves his 7D but he uses it like he uses his 5Ds. Then there are the pros like Imagemaster or LiquidStone who have the expertise and mindfulness to optimize the 7D for critical shots. All are valid opinions in their context.

May 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM
jhayesvw
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

amacal1 wrote:

The problem with this is that most of us crop our 7d images up to 50% or more. This would give you only 4 or less megapixels of which the subject may only take up 1 MP. That just doesn't cut it.

As for the 5d3 with tc added it may work but you lose a stop of light and you lose a ton of AF speed. Not good for moving objects.
That said, I would love a 5d3.

May 18, 2013 at 07:43 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.