Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

robstein
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Danny Michael wrote:
My 7D is noiser than my 5d MkII. My 5d MkII can't focus worth a darn compared to my 7D. Apples and oranges.

Yeah and that's why I keep both.... but almost every time, I am annoyed by the 7D noise and by the 5D2 (lack of) focus..... It's a good compromise - never happy Could be solved by $$ with the 5D3 I expect but ain't an option right now.

May 14, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

robstein wrote:
Yeah and that's why I keep both.... but almost every time, I am annoyed by the 7D noise and by the 5D2 (lack of) focus..... It's a good compromise - never happy Could be solved by $$ with the 5D3 I expect but ain't an option right now.

Then I suggest a 1D III, excellent IQ, low noise at the pixel level to ISO 3200, excellent AF, amazingly ridiculous long battery life and a bargain these days. You'll only miss the hi res LCD of the 7D and 5D II.

May 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM
aladyforty
• • •
p.3 #3 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Then I suggest a 1D III, excellent IQ, low noise at the pixel level to ISO 3200, excellent AF, amazingly ridiculous long battery life and a bargain these days. You'll only miss the hi res LCD of the 7D and 5D II.

Yes 1DIII is excellent, I took my 7D out late yesterday and wished Id taken the 1DIII, got some great shot but the noise is awful and no matter what I do I just cant get the clarity I can with 1DIII

May 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #4 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Having just picked up a 6D to replace my 60D- yeah.

There's a lot of things to like about both cameras, but that T2i/T3i/60D/7D sensor is just too damn noisy in low light, regardless of ISO. And the 6D (or 5DIII) is a damn sight cheaper than upgrading glass!

May 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

aladyforty wrote:
Yes 1DIII is excellent, I took my 7D out late yesterday and wished Id taken the 1DIII, got some great shot but the noise is awful and no matter what I do I just cant get the clarity I can with 1DIII

How does your 7D do for static shots - are you able to get nice clear files in that case at least?

Also what ISO were you using on 7D, as it really should be good conservatively to ISO 1250.

May 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Jay Adeff
• •
p.3 #6 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I find it baffling how people post images taken at high ISO, but greatly reduced for web viewing (which completely removes the noise), and then brag about how great their high ISO images are.

May 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM
mgkaplan
• •
p.3 #7 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I used the 7D through Dec. 2012. Then I purchased a 6D. "High ISO - Low Light" photography is one of my common shooting environments. When I saw what the 6D could do, I immediately disposed of my 7D, my 5DMKII and my 60D. I then purchased a 5DIII. With the 6D and the 5dMKIII, I am in 'High ISO heaven.'

Yes the 7D has its strong points, but for those of us who thrive on High ISO, it does not hold a candle (no pun intended) the 6D or 5D3.

May 15, 2013 at 03:15 AM
mgkaplan
• •
p.3 #8 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I used the 7D through Dec. 2012. Then I purchased a 6D. "High ISO - Low Light" photography is one of my common shooting environments. When I saw what the 6D could do, I immediately disposed of my 7D, my 5DMKII and my 60D. I then purchased a 5DIII. With the 6D and the 5dMKIII, I am in 'High ISO heaven.'

Yes the 7D has its strong points, but for those of us who thrive on High ISO, it does not hold a candle (no pun intended) the 6D or 5D3.

May 15, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Looks like the 7D has had a serious effect on your mental faculties too, I'd get those double posts checked out immediately as they as harbingers of worse to come.

May 15, 2013 at 06:01 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #10 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Jay Adeff wrote:
I find it baffling how people post images taken at high ISO, but greatly reduced for web viewing (which completely removes the noise), and then brag about how great their high ISO images are.

Well if the web is your main presentation format, then it's relevant. Don't forget that noise also gets lost when printing, but it's kinda hard to post up a print. I don't tend to print larger than 15x10 and I generally find that if a shot cleans up at 1024 web size, it prints OK at full size.

May 15, 2013 at 07:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Jay Adeff wrote:

Well of course what you say is BS and no is bragging, but just to keep you happy web sized and 100% crop straight out of LR with no further PP

Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    123mm    f/4.0    1/200s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    123mm    f/4.0    1/200s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  

May 15, 2013 at 09:54 AM
aladyforty
• • •
p.3 #12 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Pixel Perfect wrote:
How does your 7D do for static shots - are you able to get nice clear files in that case at least?

Also what ISO were you using on 7D, as it really should be good conservatively to ISO 1250.

mostly between 100 and 1000 for birds, its the lower light in afternoon I have issues with, sometimes the light is stunning and the oranges and red colours are fine but the deep dark blues and browns are showing serious noise. I am toying with the idea of shooting jpeg in the hope that the in camera jpeg engine cope with the noise better, its an awesome camera and sometimes like today when I was shooting Osprey with the 1DIII I really miss the reach

May 15, 2013 at 01:36 PM
mgkaplan
• •
p.3 #13 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Looks like the 7D has had a serious effect on your mental faculties too, I'd get those double posts checked out immediately as they as harbingers of worse to come.

Thanks for the compliment.

May 15, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Jay Adeff
• •
p.3 #14 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Well of course what you say is BS and no is bragging, but just to keep you happy web sized and 100% crop straight out of LR with no further PP

And with that you have proven my point. I find the 100% crop to be quite ugly looking. If you're happy with it, that's great. Doesn't work for me, and that's why I don't own a 7D.

May 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.3 #15 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

What's the problem? I don't know about others, but I buy gear for what it will do for me, not for what it won't do for me.

You need fast frame rate, reach and the like? 7D. You need low-light, full-frame, etc? Get a 5DIII.

If you need one, but find you've bought the other, then switch.

And if you need all of the above, then save your money for a 1DX.

Compared to what we could get a few years ago, both 7D and 5DIII rock. And in a few years they'll be considered doorstops. That's life.

May 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM
brimull
• • •
p.3 #16 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Pixel Perfect wrote:

One hundred percent@1600 ISO without significant post-processing. It looks pretty impressive to me. The 7D's high resolution holds considerable detail in this very small piece of the full image.

May 16, 2013 at 01:02 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.3 #17 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I feel like the 7d is excellent up 1600 and capable of great detail up to 3200 with a good processing te hnique. PS layers is a godsend for dealing with noise while retaining subject detail.

May 16, 2013 at 01:17 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.3 #18 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Jay Adeff wrote:
And with that you have proven my point. I find the 100% crop to be quite ugly looking. If you're happy with it, that's great. Doesn't work for me, and that's why I don't own a 7D.

So what if an ISO1600 image shows some noise when viewed at 100% crop?
Many people take photos for
a. Web presentation, in which noise doesn't show
b. Printing, in which noise doesn't show at 'normal' print sizes

- the noise is generally only noticed by pixel peepers who view their images at 100%, or perhaps in very large prints, in which case good noise reduction techniques can help.
If low-noise matters that much to you, then the 7D is probably not the right camera for you.

I'm not sure why people are surprised that the 7D (which is a few years old now) is noisier than a FF or APS-H sensor. General rule of thumb is bigger sensors give you lower noise levels. However there is quite a cost penalty - 5D3 or 6D are a lot more expensive than 7D. Choose the tool that's right for the job (and the 5D and 6D cannot match the 7D's 8FPS for sports)

May 16, 2013 at 01:42 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Jay Adeff wrote:

So I they should send you 16x20 prints instead?

Guess there is no point viewing your website then, since I can't tell how noisy your down-sized mages are.

May 16, 2013 at 02:21 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.3 #20 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Imagemaster wrote:
So I they should send you 16x20 prints instead?

Guess there is no point viewing your website then, since I can't tell how noisy your down-sized mages are.

He only posts full size RAWs on his website, just in case anyone suspects him of taking a noisy image.

May 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password