Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Gochugogi wrote:
I suppose shooting film for 30 years made me a little more appreciative of low ISO on the 7D as the skies/clouds are clean as a whistle compared to ISO 100 slide film. I recall blowing up Sensia and Velvia and marveling at the pebble-like texture of my landscape skies. In comparison similar 11x14 or 12x18 prints from the 7D are a lot smoother than those ISO 100 chromes. Of course, I'd normally reach for my 5D2 for landscapes but I wouldn't be too worried about noise if the 7D was in my bag when a great landscape jumped out
...Show more

Of course no doubt, not to imply the 7d was unusable or anything

May 12, 2013 at 05:10 AM
Liquidstone
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

time2clmb wrote:
{snip}...but the fact remains.....there is just no comparison in ISO between these 2 cameras.

Agreed at high ISOs.

OTOH, when focal length limited, the 7D captures more detail at low ISOs.

May 12, 2013 at 09:09 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Liquidstone wrote:
Agreed at high ISOs.

OTOH, when focal length limited, the 7D captures more detail at low ISOs.

Agreed, but I have often found I have to compromise on shutter speed and/or aperture to get in the lower ISOs, and consequentially loose the shot to motion blur or shallow DOF. What it boils down to is the crop promise of "reach" and detail are not all that often achievable, so you've got a "good weather" camera that is unforgiving and frustrating as hell when you try to confine yourself to a narrow band of parameters while composing and creatively shooting some whimsical bird, animal or person.

May 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

jcolwell wrote:
I 'fessed up about three years ago.

+1... 5 months & counting.

May 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Liquidstone
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

John_T wrote:
Agreed, but I have often found I have to compromise on shutter speed and/or aperture to get in the lower ISOs, and consequentially loose the shot to motion blur or shallow DOF. What it boils down to is the crop promise of "reach" and detail are not all that often achievable, so you've got a "good weather" camera that is unforgiving and frustrating as hell when you try to confine yourself to a narrow band of parameters while composing and creatively shooting some whimsical bird, animal or person.

That's why many of us have multiple bodies to take advantage of each model's strengths. I currently use a 5D2, 1D4 and 7D for birding. The first 2 bodies are less noisy than the 7D, but when reach is needed, I opt to mount my 7D.

May 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Ferrophot
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

This conversation is a strange one. We criticise the 7D because of its noise and IQ when we compare it with a FF camera costing twice as much. It was never meant to compete with the 5D11 or 5D111. As a sports/wildlife camera it offers budget enthusiasts an opportunity to shoot at 600mm that costs the FFers many times the 7D+100-400L investment. It is a marked improvement in high ISO over the previous crop cameras. Sure it's no 5D111 or 6D, but is was never meant to be such. I really can't see the point in all this. Accept the 7D for what it is, if you find this 4 year old APS-C camera lacking then buy the 5/6Ds.
I wonder if when the 5D4 comes out if people will still be saying that the 7D noise is a lot worse than that.

May 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I'm not sure, from a noise point of view if my 550D isn't better than my 7D.

May 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

My 7D complemented my 5D2, due to its speed and flexibility. However, once I got the 5D3, I simply quit using the 7D for the most part. So I sold it.

In my opinion, and especially with the AF at f/8 capability, the 5D3's cleaner files surpass the pixel density that gave the 7D its reach advantage. I've simply found that the 5D3's cleaner files more than make up for that.

I sold the 7D last month. Great camera, but if you don't use it, why keep it?

May 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

What's the point of yet another thread on this topic? The 7D has been out for over three years and its pros and cons have been discussed ad nauseum on every camera gear forum on the internet. Like any other camera body or lens, it's a tool: no more, more less. If it isn't working for you for a particular purpose, then use a more appropriate tool. You appear to have done just that with the 5D Mark III, so my advice is to use your time making great images with that camera, rather than wasting our time with another trollistic thread on 7D noise.

John

May 12, 2013 at 04:36 PM
brimull
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Yes, I agree that the aging 7D has limitations, but I find it an amazing tool under many different circumstances. Namely, when reach, or pixel density, is needed along with high IQ. This very young Bald Eagle was perched a long way away, and I was unable to get any closer. The longest lens combination I had available was a 300mm 2.8 plus 2x extender. I took this handheld and even with the cropping can print 11 x 14 and even larger while keeping a high degree of sharpness. There's just no way I could have equaled this particular situation using my 5D Mk III, which was also with me at the time. In many other situations the 5D MkIII would obviously be the superior choice.

I sold my original 7D some time ago, but a few months ago I purchased a refurbished model because I kept finding myself in situations where I wished I still had it.

Canon EOS 7D    EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x lens    600mm    f/8.0    1/320s    320 ISO    +0.3 EV  

May 12, 2013 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagery

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I shoot 7D during daytime and 5D3 after the sunset.
Patiently waiting for the 7D2 ...

May 13, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I haven't used the 7D, but am loving the ISO performance of the 5DMKIII.

I find it to be a monterous step up in performance from my 650D, I love that I get less noise at 6400 on the 5D than I did on 400 on the 650D... but then again, that is to be expected.

May 13, 2013 at 01:21 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

so my advice is to use your time making great images with that camera, rather than wasting our time with another trollistic thread on 7D noise.

So basically you see the name of the thread, think damn not another waste of time 7D nonsense topic, click on it, read it, waste your OWN time by replying and complaining about the thread wasting your time. LMAO...nice. I'm not wasting anyones time, you're wasting your own time by reading what you don't want to read. Don't take yourself so seriously you'll live a healthier life.

May 13, 2013 at 01:44 AM
GCasey
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

The right tool for the right job!

I sold kitchen knives to support my family during graduate school. It made sense to use the right tool for specific jobs, even in that setting. Seems to work with cameras and lenses as well.

May 13, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I use my 7D for birds and sports, usually in daytime lighting conditions. For other purposes, I go with a 5DII.

May 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM
aladyforty
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Liquidstone wrote:
That's why many of us have multiple bodies to take advantage of each model's strengths. I currently use a 5D2, 1D4 and 7D for birding. The first 2 bodies are less noisy than the 7D, but when reach is needed, I opt to mount my 7D.

so would I be happy with the crop ability on the 1D4 as opposed to the 7D, love it and hate it but sometimes I wish I had one camera that could do it all, portrait landscape and wildlife. I have cameras that can do all this but cant carry them all at once. To be honest sometimes I can honesty say the 1DIII and 7D are equals noise wise, other times 1DIII is cleaner. I love the 1.6 crop for birds

May 13, 2013 at 01:10 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I think 5D VIII will be better than 5D III .

May 13, 2013 at 02:08 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

My last crop was the 40D and I found it to be a very good camera. Then I went to the 5D and missed some features but I just could not avoid loving the files from that camera.

Jumped the 5DII and went the 5DIII view. Could not be happier right now.

When I tried the 7D before buying the 5dIII I just could not bare the blue skies and the grain above ISO 400.

But that might be just me.

May 13, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Did I mention that I love the clean files from the 7D?

Canon EOS 7D    700mm    f/5.6    1/640s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

May 13, 2013 at 09:07 PM
aladyforty
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I wonder how many of us would complain about noise had the full frame cameras not been introduced, I think for me that has been the problem, spoiled by 5D classic and the 5DII, I now find myself pixel peeping, something I never did. I also have noted that in print I don't see noise that Id see on the computer. Yes I see grain in my 7D files, sometimes worse than others but I think I'm becoming like many people in photo forums, just a tad obsessed! I had to slap myself the other night when I was was horrified to see grain in my 1DIII files and wondered how that could have happened and started looking through the exif data and zooming the image in along side of my 7D files. Then I thought, for gods sake just go out and take photos and stop obsessing, accept the cameras pros and cons and get on with it

May 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password