New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

time2clmb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

So up until now I have been defending the higher ISO capability of the 7D. Sure, you can do great things with it and get amazing photos when doing things a certain way and kneading the files with care.

However, it was within the last few months that my frustrations started to grow as I started to partake in more midnight hour star photography. Due to the totally dark environment it became clear that all the care and kneading was only able to get me so far. The amount of noise to deal with was just becoming a hassle and attempts to fix it were frustratingly killing any detail and turning the photo in to unusable mush that I would never dare to print at large sizes. I know the tricks and tips to get the most out of the files but I quickly realized I was wanting and needing to delve beyond the workable ISO of this camera, for what I was wanting to shoot. Dark frames, light frames all that stuff didn't seem to matter in this realm of the ISO I was wanting to shoot at.

Enter the Canon 5D mrkiii. Damn, is this what i've been failing to compare it to file wise even after looking at review after review after review and looking at ISO sample charts etc? The fact is, until I started to actually work on the files I had no idea what I was missing. I am getting cleaner files at ISO 12800 on the 5diii than I was at ISO 3200 on the 7D. Even making comparisons at smaller ISO's such as 400 I was having to apply NR to 7D files to quiet the blue skies etc where as on the 5Diii it is totally not needed.

So where does this leave me? There's no way i'm getting rid of the 7D, it is still an amazing camera and makes a very powerful combo when working along side the 5diii. It's just been relegated to day time duty where any dusk and beyond shots will be reserved for the 5. One less step in the workflow multiplied by x amount of shots will most definately be welcome.

So, for those of you that have not yet confessed, I fully expect your internet wrath to rain down upon my post as I once joined in on the dog pile of the 7D defenders. So pick apart my post with contrived rambling and attack any observations I made, but the fact remains.....there is just no comparison in ISO between these 2 cameras.

There must be other ex 7D defenders that have had this same light bulb moment

May 11, 2013 at 03:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I 'fessed up about three years ago.

May 11, 2013 at 03:21 PM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I'm not sure what I understand.

The 7D does lack some ISO performance because, well, its older and was not meant to be the very best performer in low-light in the first place.

Its still a great camera even if it lacks some very high ISO performance.

The 5D mark III is a very different tool. Maybe you have just reached the point where the 7D is not the very best tool for you now.

May 11, 2013 at 03:21 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

congratulations. I made the change last year.

this was my two step 7D noise removal process

1. sell 7D
2. buy 5D III

I saw similar results. I also enjoy night photography and found the 7D far too noisy.

May 11, 2013 at 03:36 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

4 year old crop camera bested by a 1 year old full frame, no shock there surely!?!

I'd love to pick up a 5D3, but funds are needed elsewhere at the moment. I'm thinking of selling my 7D whilst its still worth something... If I sell that, the 1Ds2 and 24-105 it gets me close to a 5D3, tempting!

May 11, 2013 at 03:41 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

7D was too noisy from day 1. That is the main point

May 11, 2013 at 04:08 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

abqnmusa wrote:
this was my two step 7D noise removal process ,,,

Mine was a one step process: I just never bought the (noisy) 7D .

May 11, 2013 at 04:11 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

jj_glos wrote:
4 year old crop camera bested by a 1 year old full frame, no shock there surely!?!

Well the 5d3 is just a warmed over 5d2 sensor, so it is a pretty fair comparison

May 11, 2013 at 04:18 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Confession of a dedicated 40D shooter, tried the 15mp 50D and while the extra pixels are nice the extra noise is not, never made the 7D move although it's speed and AF were quite tempting and I think it would be a great upgrade for my 40D for surfing, racing and other daytime action/sports.. FF is the next answer, my budget is the question

May 11, 2013 at 04:21 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

i still think you could have fine star photos with your 7d if you have a decent lens and maybe 6 lights and darks. That being said, I confess - I have a full frame.....

May 11, 2013 at 04:53 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

cputeq wrote:
Well the 5d3 is just a warmed over 5d2 sensor, so it is a pretty fair comparison

And the 5D2 handily flogged the 7D when it came to high ISO noise, not to mention the numerous other benefits of a FF sensor. I can only imagine the extra stop/half stop of lower noise in the 5D3 just adds to that lead.

May 11, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I recall the love fest on this very forum in Fall 2009 over how great 7D high ISO was compared to the 40D/50D. Even a few fools said 7D high ISO made the 5D MKII obsolete! My oh my how times have changed!

I'm probably the odd man out as I rarely need to take pictures of things I can't see so being limited to ISO 640 or 1250 in a pinch is fine my me.

May 11, 2013 at 05:43 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Gochugogi wrote:
I recall the love fest on this very forum in Fall 2009 over how great 7D high ISO was compared to the 40D/50D. Even a few fools said 7D high ISO made the 5D MKII obsolete! My oh my how times have changed!

I'm probably the odd man out as I rarely need to take pictures of things I can't see so being limited to ISO 640 or 1250 in a pinch is fine my me.

Yeah but it is also the low ISO one benefits from also. It is very nice having smooth bokeh and skies at ISO 100-800ish .

By bokeh I mean noise free out of focus areas.

May 11, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

My 7D is noiser than my 5d MkII. My 5d MkII can't focus worth a darn compared to my 7D. Apples and oranges.

May 11, 2013 at 08:03 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

What Danny said.
People who say the 7D is "to noisy" are the very same people who want the 1Dx's AF and IQ in a body combined with the weight and functionality of the 5DMk3 the reach and FPS of the 7D for the price of a 6D.

May 11, 2013 at 08:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

dehowie wrote:
What Danny said.
People who say the 7D is "to noisy" are the very same people who want the 1Dx's AF and IQ in a body combined with the weight and functionality of the 5DMk3 the reach and FPS of the 7D for the price of a 6D.

The 7D was too noisy for me, in comparison with my 1DIII. I sold both of them and bought a 1DIV. Now I use a 1DX and 1DIV. I think that you get what you pay for. I don't think I'm one of those "very same people" that you describe. Nor are most of the other people who say the 7D is too noisy for them.

May 11, 2013 at 08:11 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

There's nothing to repent for. The 7D was a fantastic camera, and as a challenge, if I knew how to strip EXIF data, I would pull photos taken from events I shot at 6400 and say tell me which was my 1DIII and which was the 7D.

I used both side by side, and while parts were lacking on one, parts would be lacking on the other. To me, they were both a wash.

jcolwell hit the nail on the head when he said "for me." He is absolutely right. There's a guy on here (is it imagemaster?) that has posted some seriously legit photographs taken at ISO 6400+ on the 7D and they look absolutely stunning. Others, like me, don't do much NR to the photos. Maybe 10-15 clicks on the luminance slider. To me the 7D was an effin' leap forward from the 40D/30D combo I was using at the time.

To be fair, the 1DIII, when I bought a pre-owned one, was a leap into the "big leagues" in terms of "pro features." I hate to call them that, but for lack of a better word, I will. I guess one could liken it to a base model Honda Accord vs a top end Acura TL. Sure, at the end of the day, you've basically got 2 Honda Accord's (I understand that's not exactly the same comparison, but you get the drift) but the "fancy features" really made it.

I haven't screwed with a 1DX yet, as I KNOW I want one, and I KNOW I will do something stupid to charge it. If I could trade both of my 1DIV's for one, I would consider it, but then I wouldn't have a "sports back up", and no, in my mind, the 5D3 isn't a sports back up (I only mention it because I own one).

With all of that said, you owe nobody a damn apology nor do you need to repent for anything. The tool you used, worked for you. You've got a better tool, and it works better. Hell, I have photos at the highest ISO from my 5D3, and I think to myself "holy hell this is fantastic."

May 11, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

cputeq wrote:
Yeah but it is also the low ISO one benefits from also. It is very nice having smooth bokeh and skies at ISO 100-800ish .

By bokeh I mean noise free out of focus areas.

I suppose shooting film for 30 years made me a little more appreciative of low ISO on the 7D as the skies/clouds are clean as a whistle compared to ISO 100 slide film. I recall blowing up Sensia and Velvia and marveling at the pebble-like texture of my landscape skies. In comparison similar 11x14 or 12x18 prints from the 7D are a lot smoother than those ISO 100 chromes. Of course, I'd normally reach for my 5D2 for landscapes but I wouldn't be too worried about noise if the 7D was in my bag when a great landscape jumped out 'n bite me on the arse.

May 11, 2013 at 09:51 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

I dig my 7D for retro/vintage shoots.....it has built in noise/grain

May 11, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I repent! Confessions of a 7D defender

Isn't it a good thing that 99.99% of us don't care about photographing stars in the night sky?

May 11, 2013 at 11:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.