Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

DaveOls
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

I have 4 Kodak Ni Mh rechargeable batteries that I have had for 2 or 3 years and they have been charged a half a dozen charges at the most. I leave them in my Panasonic p&s camera on the floor of my car, but they go dead within about 2 weeks. They are 2100 mAh AA's rated at 1.2 volts. Is this normal for this type of battery to discharge when it is not even used.
There has been a brand of rechargeable batteries recommended on a lot of the forums, but I can not remember the name of them. Can anyone recommend some. Also, should I be taking the batteries out of the camera when I am not using it?

May 11, 2013 at 05:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

1. Kodak usually had multiple suppliers, so you would need more info to determine if yours are of the low self-discharge type.
2. Buy good low self-discharge cells such as Panasonic Eneloops.
3. Make sure you use a good conditioning (charge/discharge cycling) charger like a MAHA, LaCrosse, etc. that display both charge and disharge capacity.
4. It is always best to remove batteries from devices if they will not be used for long periods, but two weeks is not long. Eneloops will maintain a good charge for up to a year.

EBH

May 11, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

Only half a dozen times in 3 years? If you don't charge/discharge them regularly Ni Mh tend to fade. if you use them that infrequently you'd be better off with lithium AAs: 15 year life and rarely leak (unlike alkaline).

May 11, 2013 at 07:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

Eneloop.

May 11, 2013 at 07:06 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

You're probably right, I might be better off with Lithium batteries. I just happened to have these Kodak rechargeables on hand and decided to use them.

Edited on May 11, 2013 at 08:49 PM · View previous versions

May 11, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

jcolwell wrote:
Eneloop.

+1million .
These are the default answer when It comes to most 'AA' battery questions

I went with the low discharge (which is what Eneloop is) a few years ago and have never looked back .

If your rechargeables are loosing all the juice in a short time (unused) then they are either not low discharge or they are shot (likely the first option) . Either way toss them and get some nice new Eneloops

May 11, 2013 at 08:43 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

I would not suggest a lithium ion (14500) cell as the voltage is typically double or more than a standard AA device is designed for. You can use an L91 or similar primary AA lithium cell, which actually makes the most sense for a seldom-used P/S.

EBH

May 11, 2013 at 08:51 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

I originally wrote Lithium ion, but I changed it to Lithium battery.

Thanks, for all the responses.

May 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

Get yourself a decent intelligent charger and run them through a discharge-refresh cycle. This will probably bring back a fair bit of the lost capacity. However, if they are not low discharge type cells then you may suffer the same problem still. It could also be that the cameras itself could have a slight current draw when turned off. Have you checked it with other batteries?

There are plenty of intelligent chargers available. I have a Technoline BL-700 charger which i would recommend. I think they are branded "La Crosse" in the US.

With respect to batteries, i've been using low discharge Duracells in my wireless keyboards, mice etc for the last few years. With the cheap and crappy Duracell charger they came with, they rapidly lost capacity and i was about to throw them out when i bought the Technoline charger. That recovered them and i've been using those batteries for 2 years since. Saving those batteries covered half the cost of the charger. I also have some eneloops, but i've not used them for very long so i can't comment on their performance. If you do go for eneloops, these ones are a hit with my daughter: http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop-products/eneloop-batteries/special-editions.html

May 12, 2013 at 09:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

Mmmm, glitter batteries. Looks like they would add chroma noise to your images.

May 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

I have many of those glitter cells. If you buy four sets of eight at a time then it's simple to have eight sets of separate colors, which is great for organization purposes. You can dedicate certain colors to certian devices or charge certain colors in a sequence. It's a lot better than using markers, paints, or labels on the cells to keep track.

EBH

May 12, 2013 at 01:04 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

15bit

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the La Crosse battery chargers at Amazon.com. La Crosse has three models: the BC 500, 700, and 1000. Only the top two have a discharge cycle. It looks like the difference between the 700 and 1000 model is that the top charging rate for the 700 is 700 mAh while the 1000 is 1000 mAh. It's probably not worth the price difference.
Also, I noticed that the Kodak charger I have only charges at 180mAh. Since I was only charging these batteries for 4-6 hours, I was only giving them a partial charge. I may plug them in again for an additional 4 hours or so to see if that makes a difference.
If I stay with rechargeables, I will buy the LC BC-700 charger and a set of 4 Eneloops. I may try a set of Lithiums first to see how they do. If the camera has a leakage problem, it would be worth buying Eneloops and this LC charger.

May 12, 2013 at 02:21 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

My BL-700 is the same as the BC-700 at your end. It's more than good enough for anyone unless you need to charge batteries at a really stupidly fast rate. It is limited to 4 batteries, which can be an issue if you are Pro and need a lot of batteries for flashes. In that case i think Maha make intelligent 8 cell chargers.

May 12, 2013 at 02:31 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

Since I am not a pro, I do not need to charge that fast. Besides, it probably affects the number of times they can be recharged.

May 12, 2013 at 04:04 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

I looked at the low end Maha charger for around $ 40+. It doesn't mention a discharge, test mode, etc. Plus it only charges at 500 mAh or 1000 mAh.

May 12, 2013 at 05:33 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

La Crosse is fine. I have used a couple of the BC-900 for years.

EBH

May 13, 2013 at 01:29 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kodak rechargeable batteries

EB-1 wrote:
... It's a lot better than using markers, paints, or labels on the cells to keep track.

EBH

After charging my Eneloops, I put them back in their four-pack cases and then seal the opening with a piece of tape. Same for my CP-E3 packs and CPM-E3 refills. No tape, put 'em on the charger; yes tape, good to go!

May 13, 2013 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password