New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 1DX random over exposed

Normand1130

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX random over exposed

This the second times it happen at jobs ( not to happy )over expose by 5 to 8 stops just happen out of know where. Shut the camera off and power it back up and the camera is back to normal.
I just happen to catch it the first time but the second time lost 24 images important ones. So now out do fear I have to look at each image to make sure I have the shot, I thought them days was over, thinking of Nikon right about now.

May 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX random over exposed

Have you tried removing and reinserting the battery, a reset of all custom functions, disabling AEMA, performing a hard reset of the camera?

May 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX random over exposed

5-8 stops? That is very very odd. Even if you accidentally use spot metering while you intend you use evaluated, it should be off that much.

Can't be of any much help though.

May 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX random over exposed

Could it be a lens malfunction causing it? Has it happened with more than one lens?

Karl

May 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX random over exposed

Karl Witt wrote:
Could it be a lens malfunction causing it? Has it happened with more than one lens?

Karl

+1
For it to be that far off, always overexposure, and intermittent suggests a lens not stopping down.
Have you checked the exif for shooting aperture? Were you choosing apertures 5 or more stops smaller than wide open?

May 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX random over exposed

if sequence shots randomly over exposed, i would suspect the mirror bouncing issue... just open the lens and check the mirror damper first before you sending it in.

May 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX random over exposed

This used to happen to me all the time when I was new to the camera. All of a sudden, exposure would be waaaaay up. The reason in my case: I assigned the MFn button by the shutter to be switching to C1, which in my case was a manual setup, with values that caused extreme overexposure.

The MFn button is extremely easy to hit by accident so I disabled its function.

May 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX random over exposed

I've had this happen from time to time on all my Canon "pro" bodies. Operator error most likely but it does seem total random....

May 11, 2013 at 01:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX random over exposed

matt4626 wrote:
I've had this happen from time to time on all my Canon "pro" bodies. Operator error most likely but it does seem total random....

I've seen that very rarely on several bodies and it is usually a lens contact issue. It's not user error.

EBH

May 11, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX random over exposed

If shots at shutter speed 1/4000 show shutter bounce, then you have your answer.

May 11, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX random over exposed

You fail to mention if the aperture and time are reasonable or not??

May 11, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Normand1130

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX random over exposed

Heavy over case day, on Program mode, F4, 60th sec, 12000 iso

May 12, 2013 at 05:46 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX random over exposed

Normand1130 wrote:
Heavy over case day, on Program mode, F4, 60th sec, 12000 iso

12,000 ISO? Are you using auto ISO?
That sounds like a night exposure, not heavy overcast daylight.
Whatever the cause of metering error, it is metering, not shutter bounce, unless I'm much mistaken (which is certainly possible).

May 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX random over exposed

do you have the AE lock button turned on on the grip? i have a bad habit of hitting mine and then over exposing shots, so i turned it off...

May 12, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX random over exposed

I have had this happen on my 6D three times since December - for which I have no explanation. -strange-

May 12, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX random over exposed

Very weird. Never experienced that.

May 12, 2013 at 02:08 PM
kouasupra1
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX random over exposed

Do you have a latest firmware on the 1DX? 1/60th with 12000 ISO will definitely overexpose the photo for sure on a overcast day.

Have you thought about shooting AV mode?

May 13, 2013 at 04:45 AM
rater

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DX random over exposed

I had a similar issue with frames inconsistently being way overexposed on a 1D mk II. Sent for evaluation and they told me I had to change the shutter...

May 13, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DX random over exposed

The problem could be due to the main mirror sticking a bit and not being fully down when the next shot is taken or, more precisely, not being fully down when the next meter reading is taken (because very little of the image from the lens is being properly directed up towards the viewfinder and exposure meter at that stage). I had this happen on a 1Ds2, but it was always in the second or subsequent shot of a burst. If not shooting at high frame rate there is either more time for the mirror to settle properly or else the problem will be permanent and you'll see it through the viewfinder.

I can think of two possible solutions if this is the actual problem:
1. get it serviced while under warranty in case they have to replace the mirror assembly or a power board or whatever.
2. exercise the camera with some high frame rate bursts and hope for the best.

option 1 is the best way to go.

I did not get mine fixed because it was well out of warranty, would cost me a bomb, would take a couple of months more than once (first for the time that the technician could not find the intermittent fault and then for the time that he fixed it anyway), and I was at the point of retiring that camera anyway. Therefore I cannot give you a definite explanation. Needless to say, I've had a bad history of getting things serviced by Canon Australia.

- Alan

May 18, 2013 at 07:41 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DX random over exposed

Norman, you mentioned this is the second time its occurred. The hard part here is trying to understand how "random" it truly is. Does the exif data on the 5-6 stop over exposed indicate it was actually overexposed or does it show what you expected the settings should have been? If the later, it could be the blades on the lens sticking, ie not shutting down fast enough and therefore allowing too much light in. Being able to produce similar results with this lens on a different body could validate a lens issue.

May 18, 2013 at 08:59 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.