Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

jphendren
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

Hello,

I am looking to buy a nice Nikon D3, what is a fair price for one right now? I've noticed that KEH has an EX condition for $2,099, and B&H has one rated 9 $2,299. Does this seem about right? Could I do better elsewhere? If I go KEH, I'm going to wait for a EX+ to turn up, as I like minty looking gear. I've been buying gear from KEH since 1998, and have been very pleased with their service. I'm also assuming that a nicer body will have a lower shutter count.

Thanks,

Jared

May 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

KEH and others (Adorama, B&H, etc) never mention actuation #'s but refer to cosmetic appearance when grading. A less meaningful metric when a pro body is considered. Shoot sports and 200k clicks on a clean body is not unreasonable.

May 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM
rick2906
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

you should biu it here from a well established member(good feedback) but have you consider a d3s?? it's pretty much the best bang for the buck performance wise.

May 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM
jphendren
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

Hi,

I just looked on here, it seems you can buy D3's for less than KEH, or B&H. I cannot afford a D3s, a D3 will be stretching it. The D3X is the camera I really want, but those are $$$$.

Jared

May 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

jphendren wrote:
Hi,

I just looked on here, it seems you can buy D3's for less than KEH, or B&H. I cannot afford a D3s, a D3 will be stretching it. The D3X is the camera I really want, but those are $$$$.

Jared

What do you imagine you will get out of a D3 that a D700 with modest shutter activations won't deliver? If you're already going for a pro body, a D3S for a bit more will provide you with several stops more latitude. Otherwise, a D700 + grip should suffice.

May 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

Refurb D800 unless you need the grip? I'm assuming you want the D3X for the pixel count in this suggestion.

May 11, 2013 at 02:56 AM
jphendren
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

I shoot nature landscapes, think Galen Rowell and John Shaw, although nowhere near as good . I currently shoot an F5 and F6, so prefer the feel/controls of pro bodies. I owned a D70 back in 2004, and it felt like a plastic toy. So I returned it for a D2h, and loved that camera, but the DX sensor and corresponding loss of field of view sent me back to my beloved F5 in 2009. I am still quite happy with my film SLR's, they do the job beautifully, but finding/buying, and processing E-6 film is getting harder. So I am planning for the day that I will have to hang up my babies. I can print beautiful 13x19's off of 35mm slide film, maybe larger (Galen Rowell did), but am unsure if 12MP is enough to replace Fujichrome Velvia 50's shoes. I prefer film workflow, I hate using photoshop, etc. I prefer looking at chromes on my light table. But I realize that films days are numbered.

Anyways, the D3 seems like a sweet camera that can do what my F6 can do, with similar build and ergonomics. The D2h was nowhere near as good as an F6.

May 11, 2013 at 03:28 AM
viczig
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

I would follow the suggestions about picking one with low actuations. I bought my D3 here several months ago and couldn't be happier with the transaction. I got a low mileage mint copy with a L plate, 2 extra batteries, box & manual for less than KEH and B&H was selling the body alone for. Keep an eye out here for a low mileage one from a seller with feedback.

Vic

May 11, 2013 at 03:50 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

jphendren wrote:
I shoot nature landscapes, think Galen Rowell and John Shaw, although nowhere near as good . I currently shoot an F5 and F6, so prefer the feel/controls of pro bodies. I owned a D70 back in 2004, and it felt like a plastic toy. So I returned it for a D2h, and loved that camera, but the DX sensor and corresponding loss of field of view sent me back to my beloved F5 in 2009. I am still quite happy with my film SLR's, they do the job beautifully, but finding/buying, and processing E-6 film is getting harder. So I
...Show more

Galen Rowell would be out there with a D800e these days

May 11, 2013 at 04:16 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

I paid $1,350 for my D3 about 5 months ago, with 250k clicks...i'm looking for a d700 now, and most i see with 100k on the shutter people want $1,400-1,500... People get offended when i offer $1,100...

May 11, 2013 at 04:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ReyGay
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

jphendren wrote:
Hi,

Jared

Really depends on what you shoot. Do you want a studio look or a newspaper look. Both the D3 and D3s has a different colour tone when compared to a D3X. Look harder if you really want a D3X, since I got a near mint D3X last year for $2800 via Ebay. You might as well get a D800 if your budget is tight. Good luck on your search. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

May 11, 2013 at 04:53 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

ReyGay wrote:
Really depends on what you shoot. Do you want a studio look or a newspaper look. Both the D3 and D3s has a different colour tone when compared to a D3X. Look harder if you really want a D3X, since I got a near mint D3X last year for $2800 via Ebay. You might as well get a D800 if your budget is tight. Good luck on your search. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

+1

May 11, 2013 at 05:41 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

landscapes - D800

simple

May 11, 2013 at 01:31 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

Landscrape shooter?? you can get a new D600 for that $$
FWIW I have the gripped D800 and still prefer the handling of my D3...I shoot stuff that moves, however.

May 11, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

jphendren wrote:
I shoot nature landscapes, think Galen Rowell and John Shaw, although nowhere near as good . I currently shoot an F5 and F6, so prefer the feel/controls of pro bodies. I owned a D70 back in 2004, and it felt like a plastic toy. So I returned it for a D2h, and loved that camera, but the DX sensor and corresponding loss of field of view sent me back to my beloved F5 in 2009. I am still quite happy with my film SLR's, they do the job beautifully, but finding/buying, and processing E-6 film is getting harder. So I
...Show more

A D3 is only 12MP ... for the same $ you can get a 24MP D600 that will be smaller and lighter to boot. D3 style bodies are nice if you shoot events and action, but for landscape, I would think a D600 is the way to go for $2K ... or save a little and get a D800 at 36MP. The D800 would be similar in form-factor to your F6 too.

I'm the first to say MP is not everything, but for landscape, more resolution is generally better and you usually have the time to set up the shot to maximize the benefits. Besides, if you have to hike to your landscape locations, a smaller/lighter body is a good thing.

May 11, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

+1 for D600 if not D800 for landscape. A pro body make sense for PJ, events and action... It's not only about the resolution but also you need to consider the dynamic range - this must lead you to either D600 or D800. No any other FX body can compare in this aspect with the two.

Gallen Rowell bag had the main camera an F100 that replaced his N90s... if you do the same type of photography you need to look for less weight and size... Of course you can do the job with a D4 or with a D3s but things can be done in a smarter way.

May 11, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

Andre Labonte wrote:
A D3 is only 12MP ... for the same $ you can get a 24MP D600 that will be smaller and lighter to boot. D3 style bodies are nice if you shoot events and action, but for landscape, I would think a D600 is the way to go for $2K ... or save a little and get a D800 at 36MP. The D800 would be similar in form-factor to your F6 too.

I'm the first to say MP is not everything, but for landscape, more resolution is generally better and you usually have the time to set up the shot
...Show more

+1

If you're looking for a good landscape both, for the money, I'd get a D600 or D800/D800E. With the current iteration of bodies (D700, D800), you really don't loose too much in terms of "hand-feel" when compared to the D3's. They are SOLID bodies. I came to a D800E from a D2h and D3, and I love it. I've also used my old boss' D700, and it's great in hand, basically a D3 in a smaller package, and less expensive.

And like Andre said, if you're doing primarily landscape, I'd skip the D3, and go for a D600, or save a little more for a D800 if you can. In landscape, pixels really do help, and keeping the weight down is important as well...

Since getting the D800E, I haven't really touched the D3 at all. Sad, but true.

May 11, 2013 at 06:13 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

jphendren wrote:
Hello,

I am looking to buy a nice Nikon D3, what is a fair price for one right now? I've noticed that KEH has an EX condition for $2,099, and B&H has one rated 9 $2,299. Does this seem about right? Could I do better elsewhere? If I go KEH, I'm going to wait for a EX+ to turn up, as I like minty looking gear. I've been buying gear from KEH since 1998, and have been very pleased with their service. I'm also assuming that a nicer body will have a lower shutter count.

Thanks,

Jared

I got one about 6 months ago with very, very little wear and 11k on the shutter for $2200 from the buy&sell board.

So you should be able to get them for under $2000 now. I'd call KEH and see what the shutter count is before buying.

May 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

I'd call KEH and see what the shutter count is before buying.
They won't tell you, neither will Adorama or B&H

May 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking to buy a Nikon D3.

jphendren wrote:
I shoot nature landscapes, think Galen Rowell and John Shaw, although nowhere near as good . I currently shoot an F5 and F6, so prefer the feel/controls of pro bodies. I owned a D70 back in 2004, and it felt like a plastic toy. So I returned it for a D2h, and loved that camera, but the DX sensor and corresponding loss of field of view sent me back to my beloved F5 in 2009.

D800 or D800e with grip. The D800 is SEVERAL THOUSAND MILES ahead of the D70 in terms of build and IQ.

May 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password