Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

momof3b1g

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

right? Thoughts on my photo?

2270wm by Red Rose Photography, on Flickr

May 10, 2013 at 06:17 PM
odnanref

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

I agree. They don't. But they should have an interesting subject. While this is cool, it does not hold the attention very well.

May 10, 2013 at 06:48 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

The message of an image need not be pretty, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a message. What do you image is the message for the posted image?

May 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

I can imagine this image being about texture, or about documenting an unusual object. For texture, I would want to be closer, bump the clarity and sharpness, probably shoot macro. For a more documentary image, it would help to know what it is, see the context.
Scott

May 11, 2013 at 09:01 PM
momof3b1g

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

sbeme wrote:
I can imagine this image being about texture, or about documenting an unusual object. For texture, I would want to be closer, bump the clarity and sharpness, probably shoot macro. For a more documentary image, it would help to know what it is, see the context.
Scott

Actually i did. Guess i failed. Thats ok, I shoot for myself and i like it.

May 12, 2013 at 03:15 PM
momof3b1g

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

odnanref wrote:
I agree. They don't. But they should have an interesting subject. While this is cool, it does not hold the attention very well.

I agree with your first comment, the second i disagree that it doesnt. but thats the thing about art. Its not to everybodys liking. I see many "winning" photos where people love it and many people think its boring. To each his own. Im fine with that.

May 12, 2013 at 03:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

Sometimes, it takes much more than we might otherwise think is necessary for others to see what we already know. Since you were there to see it (touch it etc.), you've got more than "just the picture" to go by and you're able to more readily "see" the texture than we are.

Always a trick to discern how much is in your mind vs. what is being shown ... I would probably suggest some different lighting to help reveal that texture a bit more, so that others might enjoy that texture a bit more too.

May 12, 2013 at 03:24 PM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

darken the background.

May 12, 2013 at 08:15 PM
momof3b1g

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

khwaja wrote:
darken the background.

Thanks, I had some people (on another site) about loving the texture/detail. So each his own.

May 20, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

momof3b1g wrote:
Thanks, I had some people (on another site) about loving the texture/detail. So each his own.

This is a good site to come to if you want honest critique and comments. You can learn how other experienced photographers see your work, what they like and why and what they feel could be improved. If you are looking for positive comments for work that is not very good, you may be disappointed.

If you post work looking for critique and then disagree and argue you may not find the experience to your liking.

May 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

I dont think the image is resolved yet! something is missing, maybe a different angle. I like the texture, but I think a different angle is necessary, if this is an image about hard and rough texture, that why does it have a shallow depth of field and create some softness,,I understand where your going, I think, and I love the detail and roughness.However, I think a better position of the object is necessary,,do you have anymore shots of this subject at a different angle and different focal length??

May 21, 2013 at 04:56 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

Camperjim wrote:
This is a good site to come to if you want honest critique and comments. You can learn how other experienced photographers see your work, what they like and why and what they feel could be improved. If you are looking for positive comments for work that is not very good, you may be disappointed.

If you post work looking for critique and then disagree and argue you may not find the experience to your liking.

I, like Jim, am confused... If you do not care what others think ,"why did you ask for opinions??" I personally find no point of interest, story, message,etc.

May 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

Oldrattler, I think you are wasting your words. I believe the OP is a new photographer who was expecting a lot of praise. The OP stated they like their images and any critique was met with "to each his own".

The OP had also started another thread with a tulip image. After the discussion failed to provided enough praise the image was deleted. I think the OP has left this forum and is not likely to return.

I think that is a shame but not at all unusual. Lots of people think photography is easy and they have a hard time seeing the need for any improvements or learning.

May 26, 2013 at 01:08 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

I shoot for my own pleasure and usually know I'm liking an image for very personal reasons I doubt may resonate with others. Still, I toss 'em over the wall now and then for critique. Don't know another way to discover what appeals to other folks. I expect folks can sometimes find my critiques helpful. If not, well the price is only a few burned electrons and the time it takes to snort derisively. Difference is, I am sometimes surprised and someone else finds one of my self-indulgent images appealing.

May 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

I'm not always as interested necessarily in what others like (although it is a good feeling when others like your stuff) because you can get a "love it", "hate it" and "it's okay" from three different people ... but I truly value the extra sets of eyes that others put toward seeing things that I may have missed or not even considered.

To me, critique is about critical analysis ... liked or not ... and what you do with that analysis is up to you. Dismissing the value of others critique just because they aren't heaping on the praise is really missing the value of all that the eyes & minds of others have to offer.

When I post an image here ... I almost always shudder at the thought of how much is going to be found by others to reveal my shortcomings. Then I remember, I'm really just asking others to help me find my problem areas so I can contend with them, whether I choose to use their suggestions, or go my own way. Either way, I value the time & effort for critical analysis that others provide to me, and likewise strive to give the same to fellow FM'ers reciprocally.

Hopefully, the OP will come to realize the value of such critique in due time.

May 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

We are regulars on the forum. We have reasons for wanting critiques and comments and are willing to receive some criticism. New photographers are often impressed with their work. When I first started, I was overly impressed with my photographs. I still have a problem seeing my own work objectively and noticing the flaws. Many people post because they are expecting praise. They don't want to hear or see the negatives and they have little or no interest in improving.

May 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

I recently looked at some work of mine from last year that I thought I'd use as an example for some other folks at how I handled some lighting challenges. In my memory, I thought it was pretty good stuff (technically). Looking at it now, shameful stuff, yuck @ how many things I see wrong with it that I previously missed.

Is that what they mean by "growing pains" ...

May 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

I love to have a "Love it" posted, but what did I learn. I post on this, and other forums, because I know I am going to receive honest & fair critique. Have I been less that satisfied when my perception does not meet the real world, You bet your bippy, baby. But, likewise, I have been amazed at how knowledgeable and willing to share the photo community (here) is... If the OP left, he / she missed a golden opportunity at some excellent advice...

May 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

This ^ ...

"You bet your bippy, baby." ... diggin' it.

May 28, 2013 at 09:52 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · All photos don't need to be pretty?

I just started posting on the forum and love the feedback,,I WANT BETTER PICTURES AND IMAGES and the only way im going to achieve that is through critiques of my work..PERIOD!!

After 4 years of having my work critiqued by others and a local master photographer at Old School Square, I have gotten enough praise and criticism to where I think can handle the critics here. Not everybody can handle it. But, its all about seeing better and learning MORE!!!!

,yes, we all want other people to like our images, but how else can you learn to be a better photographer. I appreciate the comments of others most of the time, sometimes I don't agree, but thats ok,,its also subjective anyways. One person may love my work and another might think its shit!! I do the same,,,

All the great photographers never Stop learning,,

on the other hand,,I have met a few professional photographers that thought there were was phenomenal because they got a paycheck,for example,,my wedding photographer,,looking back now,,i know she was not and never will be a Master Photographer,,

In conclusion,,I find a large number of photographers here that i would consider masters of their craft...and those are the people that can and help others by critiquing work...

May 30, 2013 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.