New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

big-e
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

go to my post in the nikon forum https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1211648

May 10, 2013 at 01:59 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

D7000? Have a look at the manual, page 49, where the brightness adjustment of the monitor / screen is described.

May 10, 2013 at 03:54 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

You're focussing and composing using LV with continuous light.. and then shooting flash?

Obviously you will need to change the ISO, colour balance and exposure between focussing/setup and shooting since you're using completely different lighting and lighting levels. If you decide to shoot in the lighting which you're focussing with, then your camera settings will remain. If you do want to retain your camera settings you will need a lot more continuous light to do this, or extend your exposure time to obtain the same results as if you were using flash.

Any use of LV and shooting in the LV lighting should give you the same results (as viewed).

May 11, 2013 at 08:16 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

Yes what you want would be helpful but isn't likely to happen.

Part of being a "professional" meant, at least before the days of digital and auto-everything, was having the ability to anticipate the final result based on what was seen by eye, or in the case of exposure color balance "by the numbers". One didn't stay in business long without that skill back in the day when you shot Kodachrome, shipped the film to Kodak, and got it back in the mail two weeks later.

So while it would be nice to have an "auto" button for every photographic situation, there's still no substitute for experience in situations like that. Besides, it costs nothing to take a test shot and view the actual results. Back in the good old days we called that shooting a Polaroid

May 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM
big-e
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

I use 3 Studio strobes ( broncolor) not small Falashas AS the SB-XXX
When I work on the set there are Ambient light and the pilot lights of the strobes.

I did not mention in my O.P the camera I'm working with is D7000 and soon I buy the successor D7100.

When the photographic data are around 1/200 F11 ISO 100 it does not really matter how much light there is in the room, everything is dark on the monitor I have to raise the sensitivity open the aperture and lower the speed and WB then you can see clearly and then return it all back.
I usually moves the camera for M to auto (green square) and then you can see and then return back to M .
But it also requires a physical change the camera button and not the computer.

And you can not do it straight from your computer
It is particularly problematic if the camera is high or at A hard to reach angle.

May 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM
big-e
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

cgardner wrote:
Yes what you want would be helpful but isn't likely to happen.

Part of being a "professional" meant, at least before the days of digital and auto-everything, was having the ability to anticipate the final result based on what was seen by eye, or in the case of exposure color balance "by the numbers". One didn't stay in business long without that skill back in the day when you shot Kodachrome, shipped the film to Kodak, and got it back in the mail two weeks later.

So while it would be nice to have an "auto" button for every photographic situation,
...Show more

I am very"old" photographer before the days of digital photography I worked with the sinar P2 field camera and Mamiya 645.(And are still gathering dust in the studio) Polaroid was a common staple in the studio

My goal is not to replace the"Polaroid" My goal is just to allow me to see" As seen througha A LUPA" like in the past when we used a Lupa to check the focus
And for compositions or when you move something on the table(set) it is easier to see the relationship between other items in the picture without using Another assistant.

May 11, 2013 at 01:09 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

Why not just use a bright work light to light the scene so you can focus and then turn it off for the exposure? It won't let you see the lighting pattern obviously, but it will let you critically focus the camera.

May 11, 2013 at 01:20 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

As with a view camera, you would focus wide open after opening the lens before having to close the aperture down, close the lens and setting the shutter - so having to switch the camera in the way you do now is not that different.

The D7000 does have a U1 and U2 setting on the mode selection dial.. you can set U1 for focus and composition settings and U2 for shooting.. You could try that?

May 11, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some thoughts / questions for studio photographers

I shoot Live View in the studio with studio strobes all the time, but with Canon, not Nikon. I just change the shutter speed when in LV to compensate and switch it back to shoot. No big deal, and much simpler than dealing with ISO settings, which, if you forget, will really come back to haunt you.

May 11, 2013 at 06:52 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.