Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Improving my composition

khwaja
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Improving my composition

Realized that my photographs were weak compositionally. Studied the masters for a month, dissecting their images. Took my own time composing this in live view, took only 3 shots (very few for me)

nikon D800 35mm f/2.8, 1/2 s, iso 125 and f/4 i think...

My previous photographs are on my 500px account : 500px

May 10, 2013 at 03:12 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Improving my composition

unusual choice of subject
I like the angle
I like the dark blacks and the BW conversion
The lighting is interesting.
Well-done.

Scott

May 10, 2013 at 03:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Improving my composition

Diggin' the disciplined approach/effort ...

Not much to change @ comp ... maybe a sliver of less negative space on the right. But, I think you've done a nice job of drawing your viewers eye to your subject and then being able to hold them there, yet leaving them some things to explore.

While the point/message for the subject (still life assumed) may not be a readily popular one, I think the way it draws the viewer's eye is compelling. I'd say you are a good student and many more good things are in your future with such discipline to learning our craft and applying your vision.

Bravo for studying the masters ... I personally like to study those images that were drawn/painted/etc. long before the ability to push a button was ever created. Those guys really understood composition and light ... they had to make it from scratch, so it was very important that they knew what and why they were doing what they did. That, imo, is what defines having a "mastery" of one's craft (whatever the craft) ... i.e. command & control, applied to one's own artisan vision.

May 10, 2013 at 03:34 PM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Improving my composition

when i started, a google search for art + composition gave me a good book, sadly i got only 63 pages as a preview. will look for it again and post a link.

thank you for your comments.

May 10, 2013 at 03:49 PM
odnanref

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Improving my composition

the lighting is fine. when it comes to composition, if you only have a single object and the image is surrounded by darkness you should consider removing the object from the center. imagine removing part of the left hand side of the image, then that light from the window (i assume it's natural light) will look as if it's much stronger. it will also bring attention to the glasses which might be the most interesting thing in this image.

May 11, 2013 at 07:28 PM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Improving my composition

how do i get the entire image to be interesting, not just the glasses. a kind of balance, but something which brings the whole photograph together.

May 12, 2013 at 01:43 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Improving my composition

I dont see the image as about the glasses. But the glasses do provide a strong stimulus to a storyline. I am fine wondering where this is, why it is so dark, who left the glasses. And I am really enjoying the mood of the lighting and processing.
Scott

May 12, 2013 at 01:58 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Improving my composition

Take a gander at:

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/06/learn-composition-from-the-photography-of-henri-cartier-bresson/

May 12, 2013 at 02:28 AM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Improving my composition

AuntiPode wrote:
Take a gander at:

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/06/learn-composition-from-the-photography-of-henri-cartier-bresson/

thanks, i saw that last year i think...

Adam Marelli is awesome for his dissection of photography techniques, is he on FM by any chance?

May 12, 2013 at 05:01 AM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Improving my composition

and how about it now

May 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Improving my composition

The crop off the top doesn't work for me.

Part of what makes the image is the light coming in from the top. It isn't just the angle of the lighting, but the aspect that the light is coming from what seems to be a window up above. The higher we see above the sink, the more we are treated to the shaft of light along with its widening dispersion and corresponding falloff.

By removing the uppermost intensity of the incoming light, you have reduced/minimized it from a dynamic changing entity to a more static one. That and with the removal of the environmental negative space ... we are now just "looking at" ... oh gee, it's a picture of a sink.

I don't necessarily care for or am compelled to the "elongated" pano format. But, if I really wanted to elongate the format, I would crop from the bottom, not the top. Doing so would both retain the light as noted above, and additionally, change the mass of the incoming light inversely, i.e. giving it more weight to the image, rather than reducing it to less. Additionally, I've cropped a small amount from the left, simultaneously adding some negative space to the right, effectively pushing our subject left, rather than "centering" it.

With this particular image, we have the readily available luxury of extending the right side to whatever distance we want to help give us our desired format, and the amount of weighting/balance of our negative space to subject. Although, in this case, the negative space serves not only as negative space framework, but also somewhat as tertiary subject matter itself, for it is the "zone" (doorway if you will) that anyone entering into the realm of the sink/light would pass through.

If the goal is to alter the format to a stronger landscape/pano style, here's how I might approach it. And as to the color ... not a chance (although some may dig the mood it gives). Imo, it only dilutes the power of all the other goodness you've achieved. Mostly depends on what your message is that you want to send to the viewer. Is your message intended to be about the mood the color invokes or about the light and composition.

I'm an ardent believer in the notion that YOU have to KNOW what YOUR MESSAGE is FIRST, before you can start making decisions about how to present your image to your viewers. Otherwise, you are only guessing at what others might like, rather than intently communicating your vision to them. POWERFUL images communicate a message to the viewer. Others may tickle their fancy with "pretty" or even tantalize them with "I wonder why the artist did it that way?" invoking curiosity (which "could" be your message). But, whatever your intended message is ... you cannot optimize it for your viewer, until you are committed to knowing what it is that you want to tell them.

When we speak to people in verbal form (i.e. written or spoken), we choose our words, punctuation and grammar in such a way to construct our message with the intent of delivering a message that our audience (person we're speaking to) will readily receive, clearly understand and appropriately convey the message we intended for them. In this regard, we have COMPOSED our message.

The composition of a verbal message is no different from that of any other form of message being created and sent, in that it is composed of its elements and their arrangement. We have great composition in music, literature, prose & poem. Chef's compose a meal, architects compose a building, vintners compose a wine. As an image maker (drawing, painting, photography, etc.) we have our "elements" of composition @ lines, tones, scale, mass, etc. at our disposal the same way that verbal/literary composers have words, grammar and punctuation for their message construction.

Great composers specifically choose the arrangement of their words, notes, flavors, etc. based upon the message they desire to create and send, but, imo it always starts with knowing the message FIRST. The goal is not to create a great composition. The goal is to deliver your message and the greater the utilization and arrangement of the available elements achieves your audience receiving your message ... the greater a composition that has been created. Composition is a means to an end (your message), not the goal unto itself.

This is where/why people who get "hung up" on the rules of composition (not this instance) come up short ... they try to put the composition ahead of the message, placing the cart before the horse. "What is it I want to show/tell you?" comes first. Then, comes the "How will I go about it?" Start/retain your focus on your message ... then deciding on how to use the elements available to you becomes much clearer, imo.

HTH

Of course, then the matter of picking a frame to finish it off remains ... depending on the vibe you want to apply to it.

Edited on May 12, 2013 at 02:05 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Improving my composition

wow, thank you so much. i was concentrating on the composition so much that i didn't look at the weights of the components.

does the size i print at make a difference?
i'm thinking of a large size print, for my own room. i doubt anybody would be interested in buying this.
something like 36"x24"

May 12, 2013 at 01:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Improving my composition

khwaja wrote:
i doubt anybody would be interested in buying this.

I disagree.

While it may not be a "popular" image that makes people go "Oooh. Ahhh." ... it has its own appeal to those who are a bit more studious/appreciative of its elemental comps and representation of a part of life captured in a moment of stillness.

As to print size ... not my forte.
But, I think that decision is going to be more about room size, viewing distance and framing considerations ... and of course, personal taste objectives for the piece @ sublime vs. complementary vs. "in your face".

May 12, 2013 at 01:57 PM
cdecoro

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Improving my composition

For what it's worth, I like that the cropped version does a better job of filling the space, and I think that it draws your attention to the objects on the sink, rather than emphasizing the smallness of the sink in the expanse of black.

Also, I really like the green toning; it seems to fit the subject quite well.

May 13, 2013 at 06:54 PM
karmaportrait

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Improving my composition

Only thing I can add is that I would like some separation between the arms of the glasses at their end, don't care for the way they overlap at the tip

May 25, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Kaden K.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Improving my composition

This image benefits greatly from color.

May 25, 2013 at 08:29 PM
cgilleo

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Improving my composition

Really nice images. The subject matter is very interesting.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:36 AM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Improving my composition

nice... shows how important lighting is in photography. In this case, the lighting is able to create a striking image and draw the eye to even the most mundane objects. My only comment is in line with many others -- avoid centering the subject if at all possible

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:44 AM
Karm321

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Improving my composition

I like it! Unusual subject matter, but an interesting photo. I prefer the color ,but just barely. The lighting is gorgeous and you captured it perfectly. I think people would probably want to buy!

Apr 20, 2014 at 06:43 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password