Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

I'm kind of confused about something I don't recall being any issue before...I notice the 5d3, after I take a photo, will almost immediately idle itself so I have to half press the shutter again in order to select a new af point. I use af-on button for focus, not that it should affect this. The problem is, until I half press the shutter button again after taking a photo, it seems to not respond to my joystick motions to move the af point.

Any idea about this behavior?

May 09, 2013 at 11:17 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

It's hard-coded to do that, just like my 5D2 did (IIRC). You cannot move AF points until you wake up the meter, and unfortunately the meter on the 5D3 only stays active for about 4 seconds (presumably to save power).

You can try to adjust meter timer option, but that only refers to AE lock timing, not actual usage timeout. Working as normal. I just make it a habit to quick tap the AF-On before changing AF points, etc.

May 09, 2013 at 11:31 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

Yeah I hate that too. So no way to "uncode" it?

May 09, 2013 at 11:53 PM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

I notice this too, and am annoyed by it.

May 10, 2013 at 01:03 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

Hmmm... I think you guys might want to try to check a setting in your cameras. Go to C.Fn2: Disp/Operation --> Custom Controls and make sure you have assigned "AF point direct selection" to the Multi-controller. I have this setting enabled and I can switch AF points at any time, including right after taking a shot and without having to depress any other button.

May 10, 2013 at 02:08 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

My 5Dc did this too. 1ds3 as well if I remember right, it's been a while.

May 10, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

mitesh wrote:
Hmmm... I think you guys might want to try to check a setting in your cameras. Go to C.Fn2: Disp/Operation --> Custom Controls and make sure you have assigned "AF point direct selection" to the Multi-controller. I have this setting enabled and I can switch AF points at any time, including right after taking a shot and without having to depress any other button.

Switch on the camera, don't touch anything and try using the joystick to move focus point. You can't. Ditto if the camera has not had metering or focus activated within the past 16 seconds or so.

May 10, 2013 at 04:03 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

Ah, thanks Beni- my mistake. I had my metering set to 16 sec. so I was wondering why others couldn't move AF point right after the shot. When I changed it to 4 sec., it did "idle" after that. Maybe I should sleep at 3am instead of reading posts

May 10, 2013 at 05:16 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

Okie, so it's not my imagination...

May 10, 2013 at 03:10 PM
camerausername
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d3 sleeps between shots fired, can't move af point?

It can be annoying, but it would be more annoying if the focus point changed while you weren't using the camera because it brushed against your side.

May 10, 2013 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.