New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Buying a used 5d tomorrow, what to check

rivet

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying a used 5d tomorrow, what to check

Hi, I find a good deal on local classified, basically a good condition used 5D+ EF 20-35 USM lens for $650, is it a good deal? Now before I head out, I need some advice on what do I need to check it out to make sure everything works fine?

Seller claims that shutter count is around 25000 (How can I check it?) and it has been get the mirror changed around a year ago. I am excited to upgrade my rebel XT now, honestly, I should have bought a used 5d instead of rebel XT in the first place, it does not save much by going this upgrade path.

May 09, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Side1Cincy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying a used 5d tomorrow, what to check

I'm also interested in hearing what steps to take when buying a used camera.

May 09, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying a used 5d tomorrow, what to check

The mirror needed to be reinforced on the 5D's, originally Canon used to do it for free preventatively, I heard now they only do it as a repair if it falls out. The likelihood of it falling out even when it was a problem was very uncommon. You can check if it was done by looking at where the metal holds the mirror, if there is black tape between the mirror and the mechanism holding it, it's been done. The mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count, so even if it was changed a year ago, it doesn't really mean anything to me.

You cannot check the shutter count on a 5Dc. Only Canon can when you send it in. 25,000 is not bad for something rated 100-150K and about right for a non-Pro. You have to remember the 5Dc is pretty old in technology terms.

Age, if you care based on the serial at the bottom. (this is only for the 5Dc, not other bodies) First digit-
0 = made in 2005
1 = 2006
2 = 2007
3 = 2008

Supposedly the earlier ones had a green tint to the LCD, I have not noticed this on my 2005 one, but it's also the only 5Dc I've seen and used.

Things I would check for -
1. 5Dc is older and lacked the dust shaker thing found in newer bodies, so they're dust magnets. Shoot at F8-16 into a clear blue sky or blank white wall and look for blobs of grey (or a hair or two). To be honest, unless it was seriously dirty (more than 5 blobs, whatever your limit is), I just use the dust removal overlay in LR and PS or even the Canon software has it.
2. Shoot at 1/8000 or 1/4000, bring a fast lens. You want to make sure the shutter isn't on its way out since you can't check the shutter count. If you see a horizontal line across the frame, it's not working fast enough and you're catching bits of the shutter opening and closing. Do not buy or get a heavy discount, I'd wager a shutter replacement is roughly $300.
3. Look up how to use the camera ahead of time, it is quite different from the Rebels I used and I thought the dial was broken at first, but you can only activate it under certain conditions.
4. Shoot around, test it out, like you would any other camera.

The price is not bad at all. Not sure how much the lens is worth, but I bought one with 33K on the shutter with battery grip, original box, 2 3rd party batteries, charger, etc for $800 one year ago. Granted it's value has dropped as with most bodies and time.

I love the 5Dc, I came from a 60D and I decided why not go for the ultimate in image quality since I don't shoot video anyways. Shoot raw, JPG engine is not the best.

May 09, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying a used 5d tomorrow, what to check

Give it a good sniff and check for tobacco and other nasty smells. Also, check the body screws for rust. If badly oxidized, it may have spent long days at the beach shooting surfers, or the owner had really sweaty mitts. Either way, probably not a good choice.

Is the lens the EF 20-35 2.8L or 20-35 3.5-4.5 USM?

May 09, 2013 at 07:26 PM
rivet

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying a used 5d tomorrow, what to check

Thanks for the detailed advice, that is really helpful. I thought Canon always do it for free, I guess I need to check this time. I would have been more confident if I got one from FM buy and sell forum, but the price seems to be quite good for this one.

Dudewithoutape wrote:
The mirror needed to be reinforced on the 5D's, originally Canon used to do it for free preventatively, I heard now they only do it as a repair if it falls out. The likelihood of it falling out even when it was a problem was very uncommon. You can check if it was done by looking at where the metal holds the mirror, if there is black tape between the mirror and the mechanism holding it, it's been done. The mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count, so even if it was changed a year ago, it doesn't
...Show more

Thanks for the advice, it is the 20-35 f 3.5 to 4.5, I wish it is the L, actually I am not that interested in the lens, the original offer is the camera body for $500, but there are other people wanting camera and lens together, so I had to match them to get it, but I guess $150 for the EF 20-35 USM is not a bad deal at all.

Gochugogi wrote:
Give it a good sniff and check for tobacco and other nasty smells. Also, check the body screws for rust. If badly oxidized, it may have spent long days at the beach shooting surfers, or the owner had really sweaty mitts. Either way, probably not a good choice.

Is the lens the EF 20-35 2.8L or 20-35 3.5-4.5 USM?

May 09, 2013 at 07:37 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buying a used 5d tomorrow, what to check

Dudewithoutape wrote:
The mirror needed to be reinforced on the 5D's, originally Canon used to do it for free preventatively, I heard now they only do it as a repair if it falls out. The likelihood of it falling out even when it was a problem was very uncommon. You can check if it was done by looking at where the metal holds the mirror, if there is black tape between the mirror and the mechanism holding it, it's been done. The mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count, so even if it was changed a year ago, it doesn't
...Show more

This is a great post but I'll add a few things:

step 1) make sure you pull the focus as close to the camera as possible (set it to the minimum focusing distance). This will show you ALL of the dust on the sensor.

Step 2) New shutters without the CPS discount are $500 last I heard. Probably cost more than the value of the camera. BUT the 20-35L is a good lens worth at least that much on the open market if it is in decent working shape.

Make sure that the auto focus works and is at least reasonably accurate since the original 5D doesn't have the ability to microadjust the AF.

Bring a memory card and be sure that the photos actually save to the card too - should thwart any potential problems with the CF slot.

Best of luck!

May 09, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buying a used 5d tomorrow, what to check

The EF 20-35 3.5-4.5 USM was a really nice optic in the mid-1990s and IQ was as good (some claimed better) as Canon's 20-35 L version. Of course the current 17-40 4L is better but $150 for the 20-35 is a decent deal and you might even use it.

May 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.