Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

TimMunsey wrote:
I understand the argument going here but when the canon 45megapixel comes along aren't those of you with the slower 400x cards going to regret it?

When Canon come with a 45MP camera the 1000x cards only cost 1/3 of their prices today. Never buy a card today because you need it a few years later.
And we don't even know if Canon use CF cards then. Maybe they use CFast cards

Jun 06, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

Is the download speed from a card reader more closely aligned with the reading or writing speed, or neither?

Jun 07, 2013 at 02:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

most readers I have owned are tilted towards the read cycle. writing again is more power consumptive.

Jun 07, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

The Reading speed

Jun 07, 2013 at 07:46 PM
doogie2304
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

I'm planning to get a 1DX soon, and was pondering this very question. I doubt I'll be filling the buffer as a lion has lunch (the zoo where i live seems to give them calorie controlled meals...), but I would like to experiment with video. will the 800x handle video or should I bite the bullet and go 1000x?
thanks.

Jun 08, 2013 at 09:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

Supports VPG-20 for professional-quality video

Supports the VPG-20 Specification for Professional-Quality Video. The card has also been tested and guaranteed for professional video capture streams at up to 20MB/s, enabling high-quality full-HD video capture at high frame rates with no dropped frames.

http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-professional-800x-compactflash-cf-card?category=77

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/compactflash/extremepro/?capacity=32GB

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

Nearly every card from the brand names have the VPG-20 sign on them. You don't need a fast card for video. Lexar 400x, Transcend 400x or Sandisk Extreme is fast enough

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:32 PM
doogie2304
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

thanks steven & lars.

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:41 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

RichFisher wrote:
Thanks. Writing speed in the camera is key for me. I can be patient while downloading (up to a point), but not while the buffer is full.

sjms wrote:
if you have a 1DX and fill the buffer while shooting still images you need to reevaluate your shooting method/style as you are going to bury yourself in way too many unneeded images that look a whole lot alike.

If you're shooting raw, then depending on the card and ISO, it may be around 50 frames with the 1DX. At 12fps, it doesn't take long to hit the buffer. With fast-paced action, there can be significant changes occurring each 1/12th of a second. Therefore it's up to each of us to tailor how we shoot to what we shoot, rather than be blindly told we need to change what we're doing. Obviously one consequence is a lot more editing work, but isn't that worth the tradeoff of more selection? And, apps are available that can make short-shrift of high volume editing, if you know what you're doing.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

rscheffler wrote:
If you're shooting raw, then depending on the card and ISO, it may be around 50 frames with the 1DX. At 12fps, it doesn't take long to hit the buffer. With fast-paced action, there can be significant changes occurring each 1/12th of a second. Therefore it's up to each of us to tailor how we shoot to what we shoot, rather than be blindly told we need to change what we're doing. Obviously one consequence is a lot more editing work, but isn't that worth the tradeoff of more selection? And, apps are available that can make short-shrift of high
...Show more

You will still get a rather good number of shots for a selection. Pressing the shutter button for 30 sec with my 1DX will give me about 160 images with a good card.

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:12 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lexar 800x vs 1000x in Canon 1Dx

rscheffler wrote:
If you're shooting raw, then depending on the card and ISO, it may be around 50 frames with the 1DX. At 12fps, it doesn't take long to hit the buffer. With fast-paced action, there can be significant changes occurring each 1/12th of a second. Therefore it's up to each of us to tailor how we shoot to what we shoot, rather than be blindly told we need to change what we're doing. Obviously one consequence is a lot more editing work, but isn't that worth the tradeoff of more selection? And, apps are available that can make short-shrift of high
...Show more

Not blindly, with experience. But then some are never or will be never satisfied. For those there is the black magic.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:08 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password