Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson site has refurbed 3880

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccHome.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

May 09, 2013 at 08:07 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson site has refurbed 3880

The refurb price is actually $20 more than a new one at B&H with the current rebate.

May 09, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Jeff Winters
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson site has refurbed 3880

Is the 3880 still an attractive purchase after 3 years in production?

May 09, 2013 at 12:39 PM
bob parrish
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson site has refurbed 3880

Bump.

B&H has the 3880 for $1150 or something close. After the rebate the final cost is about $850. Taking into account that a full set of ink is about $500 this seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm a sort of on the fence on this one. It's a tad expensive for me initially but the costs of running this printer seem rather low. I guess I just need a gentle push.

May 13, 2013 at 04:14 PM
iweiner

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson site has refurbed 3880

Bob, here is your not too gentle push. I could not resist the rave reviews this printer received 2.5 yrs ago, nevertheless I waited until I could confirm the performance of several 3rd party 'inkers'. I did my due diligence and verified the performance of 3 vendors that I still deal with today. I have assisted many others since then, on Dpreview and the Inkjet Forum. Do visit for more 3880 info!

The printer performed superbly right-out-of-the-box and still does. As the OEM carts emptied I replaced them with refillables. I am a serious non-pro hobbyist and print for friends and inter-camera club competitions. If I were printing professionally, I would step back slightly and purchase OEM inks in the large size carts from the 'big' roll machines, then refill my 3rd party carts. At present my 80ml refills cost me $9-18 each, print quality is very fine and the Red & Blue ribbons still continue to grace my B&W prints.
I cut Canvas roll media to size; 17x-->37 and ditto for large fine papers, with TLC I create some decent prints!

good luck with your 3880!!!!

PS: Only voice input would move me to upgrade my 3880

May 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson site has refurbed 3880

Jeff Winters wrote:
Is the 3880 still an attractive purchase after 3 years in production?

The only "complaint" I have about the 3880 is its size limitations, i.e. it doesn't print as wide as say a 4900 series which of course it was never designed to do. OEM ink costs are absurd, but I've found the Cone system to work perfectly at about 30% of the cost. I suspect I'll use mine till I can get a "big" printer. Oh, the 3880 over time requires tinkering with in terms of platen width and drying time. This with the same media and ink. Not sure why this is so, but I've had to put a bit of effort into trouble shooting this. I print a lot.

Robert

May 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.