Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2013 · Speed test with CF cards

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · Speed test with CF cards

Lars Johnsson wrote:
For me: benchmark tests are not interesting. It doesn't say much about the performace when you put the card in your camera. And it doesn't say much about the speed when downloading the pics from a card reader either.
Even if the card have 100+mb/s in the test, it could have 20mb/s in your camera and card-reader

Well the read tests were using the card reader. But as I said the ML write test is dubious, since you'd only get it under ideal buffer writes. The writes done with card reader seem more reasonable since they seem closer to how it works for RAW video (i.e. 800x tested by the other guy is too slow to handle it and the 1000x I tested above are fast enough by just a bit).

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:03 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.6 #2 · Speed test with CF cards

skibum5 wrote:
Well the read tests were using the card reader. But as I said the ML write test is dubious, since you'd only get it under ideal buffer writes. The writes done with card reader seem more reasonable since they seem closer to how it works for RAW video (i.e. 800x tested by the other guy is too slow to handle it and the 1000x I tested above are fast enough by just a bit).

Yes you used the card-reader. But you will get different result depending on what reader you use, So without any info it doesn't say much. I have five readers and the results are very different depending on what reader I use. And depending on what interface the reader use. Like Firewire, USB 2 or USB 3. Just like the results are very different if using the cards in five different cameras.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #3 · Speed test with CF cards

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes you used the card-reader. But you will get different result depending on what reader you use, So without any info it doesn't say much. I have five readers and the results are very different depending on what reader I use. And depending on what interface the reader use. Like Firewire, USB 2 or USB 3. Just like the results are very different if using the cards in five different cameras.

Yeah, I'm sure the reader does matter a bit. I used USB 3.0, so I don't think it would be limited by my connection type at least and 3.0 reader (that said all 3.0 readers may not be alike). At the least, it puts the cards in relative order of potential for write speed in this case I think since USB 3.0 is fast enough to not bottleneck anything and the card reader doesn't seem to bottleneck writes up to the speed of these (for reads it might be a bottleneck though as the other guy got some pretty speedy reads compared to mine).

For stills shooting due to various buffer issues, it is true that an in cam test is what tells the real tale, although knowing if it has full UDMA 7 or not still lets you get something out of card reader tests to a point. For ML RAW video though, which is what many have been talking about lately, these types of benchmarks are more useful I think as they can have some bearing so long as the connection and card reader are fast.

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.6 #4 · Speed test with CF cards

OK, did a test with the Lexar 1000+ and Transcend 1000+ cards on the EOS-1D X.

They perform almost identically. You can shoot around 48-49 raw photos @ 12 fps before the buffer is filled, and they both clear the buffer again in about 8 seconds.

I also tried a SanDisk Extreme (not Pro) 60 mb/s card. Here I got 41 raw photos before the buffer hit the limit and it was cleared in 14 seconds. A notable notice in speed, but not surprising of course.

Transfer from card to computer with a Lexar 3.0 usb card reader was about the same with Transcend being ever so slightly faster.

So with the Transcend being quite a bit cheaper, I now understand Lars' endorsement of the card.

Edited on Jun 15, 2013 at 07:51 AM · View previous versions

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:45 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.6 #5 · Speed test with CF cards

Thanks Nils, you got the same result that I also got with those cards. The Extreme Pro that I tested was slower than the Lexar 1000 & Transcend 1000 cards

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.6 #6 · Speed test with CF cards

Stoffer wrote:
OK, did a test with the Lexar 1000+ and Transcend 1000+ cards on the EOS-1D X.

They perform almost identically. You can shoot around 48-49 raw photos @ 12 fps before the buffer is filled, and they both clear the buffer again in about 8 seconds.

I also tried a SanDisk Extreme (not Pro) 60 mb/s card. Here I got 41 raw photos before the buffer hit the limit and it was cleared in 14 seconds. A notable notice in speed, but not surprising of course.

Transfer from card to computer with a Lexar 3.0 usb card reader was about the
...Show more

Amazon.uk is selling the Transcend 128GB 1000x card for 298 today
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009S61AFQ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&colid=2YWDEQWLTQUYM&coliid=I3RIOCRNDNOXYB&me=&seller=

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #7 · Speed test with CF cards

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Thanks Nils, you got the same result that I also got with those cards. The Extreme Pro that I tested was slower than the Lexar 1000 & Transcend 1000 cards

Even the Extreme Pro 90MB/s I tried was slower than the 1000x Lexar (of course the Sandisk was UDMA 6 and the Lexar UDMA 7). That test was seeing how many RAW frames before slow down on 5D3 and 7D.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.6 #8 · Speed test with CF cards

skibum5 wrote:
Even the Extreme Pro 90MB/s I tried was slower than the 1000x Lexar (of course the Sandisk was UDMA 6 and the Lexar UDMA 7). That test was seeing how many RAW frames before slow down on 5D3 and 7D.

Sandisk was very late to start with UDMA 7 cards compared to all other brands. Lexar was probably one year ahead

Jun 16, 2013 at 06:38 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.6 #9 · Speed test with CF cards

I'm curious if you have used the Toshiba 1066x Exceria Pro cards.

EBH

Jul 17, 2013 at 02:06 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.6 #10 · Speed test with CF cards

EB-1 wrote:
I'm curious if you have used the Toshiba 1066x Exceria Pro cards.

EBH

I have never used any Toshiba CF cards

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:04 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password