Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end
  

Archive 2013 · Speed test with CF cards
  
 
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Speed test with CF cards


KiboOst wrote:
Is there a mode where 1Dx will write, in a burst, img1 to slot1, img2 to slot2, img3 to slot1, img4 to slot2, etc ? With two fast cards this would be lot longer burst, no ?


No you can't do that



May 10, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Speed test with CF cards


Stoffer wrote:
Thanks for the test, Lars.

I personally find it more interesting how many raw photos you take before the fps takes a dive and how soon the buffer is cleared again, but each to his own.

I recently tried 1D X with the Lexar x1000 32GB and the combination could take around 50 shots in raw @ 12 fps before the speed was slowed down. Good enough for me.


Thanks Nils, 50 shots is rather good

Lars



May 10, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Speed test with CF cards


Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Thanks for testing the different CF cards Lars.
I like the 30 seconds test of them. Because that's what I have been reading at Rob Gailbraiths site when he was testing cards for many years. Personally I can't see the point in making a test where you would shoot only few seconds. Then all cards would show nearly the same result !!


Thanks Sven, you got it

Lars



May 10, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · Speed test with CF cards


Gunzorro wrote:
Thanks Lars! It's nice to have some practical yardstick to gauge these newer cards. It would be nice if we had a summary for which CF/SD cards are most appropriate to which camera bodies, from say 1Ds2 on up through 1DX/5D3/T5i models. I gave you a like on your last post, but it applies to the whole thread.

Dan -- I'm surprised you don't "get" the reason for the testing procedure (30 sec) to reduce time variables that would crop up in tabulating exposures in shorter bursts. While the 30 sec does have some application for action shooters, it is
...Show more

Thanks Jim

Lars



May 10, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · Speed test with CF cards


Gunzorro wrote:
Following up on my comment regarding cards vs. models: I've got a 1Ds3 and 5D2 as my two top MP cameras. Not anything fancy by today's standards. I use Transcend 32GB 400X in both (based on Lars recommendation some while back). They seem fine to me for in-camera and uploading via my USB 3.0 cardreader.

Is there anything to be gained by moving to faster cards for a "methodical" shooter like myself, who doesn't shoot in long bursts? I never fill the cards, and could get by with 16GB in about 95% of my use (8GB about 90% of the
...Show more


I belive you have the perfect cards for your bodies and shooting Jim You will not gain much in buying the fast 1000x cards



May 10, 2013 at 05:16 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · Speed test with CF cards


twistedlim wrote:
Great tests, thanks for the effort. Sad think is for me I have become lazy and been using the slow sd cards since there is a handy little slot in my macbook. For paid events it will be only CF cards on the 5d3 so this really helps.
I have aways used the sandisk extreme cf cards. Trying others that are supposed to be much faster and always coming back to them. Good to see they are solid on both cameras.


Thanks Rich, yes CF is good for your 5D3

Lars



May 10, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · Speed test with CF cards


stanj wrote:
Thanks Lars for all the testing and explaining. I did something similar last July when the 1DX came out and also "didn't do it right"

One thing that deserves a mention is that the faster cards (in my case, Lexar 32GB 1000x) will make the camera shoot forever at 4fps or so. For some uses, 12fps is overkill, but something like 4fps is perfectly fine and you simply never run out of buffer. I understand that some people say that if you keep running out of buffer you don't know what you're doing, and they are entitled to their opinion
...Show more

Thanks Stan, that's a good point about being able to shoot forever at 4fps with a fast card

Lars



May 10, 2013 at 05:20 PM
RichFisher
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · Speed test with CF cards


Stoffer wrote:
Thanks for the test, Lars.

I personally find it more interesting how many raw photos you take before the fps takes a dive and how soon the buffer is cleared again, but each to his own.

I recently tried 1D X with the Lexar x1000 32GB and the combination could take around 50 shots in raw @ 12 fps before the speed was slowed down. Good enough for me.


My tests on the Lexar 1000x and Sandisk Extreme Pro (both 32GB) indicate the same thing. There was not a large difference between them.



May 10, 2013 at 05:33 PM
RichFisher
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · Speed test with CF cards


Lars Johnsson wrote:
I did a test with my 1DX body. Every setting exactly like the older test with my 1D4. And the same 30 second burst. Some surprising results compared to the other body.
ISO 100
1/4000 sec
f/5,6
lens EF 24L
Gitzo tripod RRS head

Camera 1DX

Lexar 128 GB UDMA 7 1000x ------------160 shots in a 30 sec burst
Transcend 64 GB UDMA 7 1000x---------156
Transcend 64 GB UDMA 7 600x ----------155
Transcend 128 GB UDMA 7 1000x ------142
Lexar 128 GB UDMA 7 400x ----------130
Sandisk 32 GB Extreme Pro -------------124
Transcend 64 GB UDMA 7 400x -----------123
Transcend 64 GB UDMA 6 400x ------------93
Transcend 32 GB UDMA 7 400x
...Show more

Hi

Hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes here, but I did a calculation based upon Lars' data for the 1Dx.

Assumption: 1Dx buffer is 30 frames. Camera starts writing after the 1st shot and continues writing through the 30 second test. At the end of the test the buffer is full and the camera has written the number of shots Lars recorded less 30 which are still in the buffer.

I then calculated how fast the camera can shoot when the buffer is full.

For example in the case of the Lexar 1000x card, the initial 30 shots filled the buffer. The next 130 (160-30) shots occurred as the buffer was emptied. For every shot taken, one had to be written to the buffer. The buffer was being emptied for the entire 30 seconds of the test, so 130 shots written to the buffer / 30 seconds = 4.3 FPS when the buffer is full.

Lars FPS
30 second test with a full buffer
Lexar 128 GB UDMA 7 1000x 160 4.3
Transcend 64 GB UDMA 7 1000x 156 4.2
Transcend 64 GB UDMA 7 600x 155 4.2
Transcend 128 GB UDMA 7 1000x 142 3.7
Lexar 128 GB UDMA 7 400x 130 3.3
Sandisk 32 GB Extreme Pro 124 3.1
Transcend 64 GB UDMA 7 400x 123 3.1
Transcend 64 GB UDMA 6 400x 93 2.1
Transcend 32 GB UDMA 7 400x 89 2.0
Duracell Pro Photo 32 GB 600x 86 1.9
Sandisk Extreme III 16 GB 85 1.8
A-Data 32 GB 533x 66 1.2
Ridata Pro 8 GB 150x 59 1.0
Transcend 32 GB 133x 58 0.9
Trandscend 16 GB 133x 56 0.9
Transcend 8 GB 120x 56 0.9
Kingston Ultimate 4GB 100x 46 0.5

Hope this makes sense.

Rich



May 10, 2013 at 05:59 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · Speed test with CF cards


RichFisher wrote:
My tests on the Lexar 1000x and Sandisk Extreme Pro (both 32GB) indicate the same thing. There was not a large difference between them.


You have to remember that Sandisk Extreme Pro have two versions of that card. One UDMA 6 version and one UDMA 7 version. And there is a rather large difference in speed between those



May 10, 2013 at 06:02 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



RichFisher
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · Speed test with CF cards


Lars Johnsson wrote:
You have to remember that Sandisk Extreme Pro have two versions of that card. One UDMA 6 version and one UDMA 7 version. And there is a rather large difference in speed between those


how do you tell the difference between the 2 versions. All my cards say 90 MB/sec and UDMA 6. B&H shows a card which still claims 90 MB/sec but claims UDMA 7. Still 90 MB/sec. In the real world what is the difference?



May 10, 2013 at 06:10 PM
RichFisher
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · Speed test with CF cards


Stoffer wrote:
Thanks for the test, Lars.

I personally find it more interesting how many raw photos you take before the fps takes a dive and how soon the buffer is cleared again, but each to his own.

I recently tried 1D X with the Lexar x1000 32GB and the combination could take around 50 shots in raw @ 12 fps before the speed was slowed down. Good enough for me.


stoffer

There are really 2 questions here. Yes hope much can you shoot at max speed but also once the buffer is full how slow is the camera (imagine a lion taking down a zebra - may last more than 3-4 seconds, I would hate to be limited to only 1 to 2 FPS after the buffer fills).



May 10, 2013 at 06:18 PM
stanj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · Speed test with CF cards


RichFisher wrote:
There are really 2 questions here. Yes hope much can you shoot at max speed but also once the buffer is full how slow is the camera (imagine a lion taking down a zebra - may last more than 3-4 seconds, I would hate to be limited to only 1 to 2 FPS after the buffer fills).


And that's what my test shows - with the Lexar 1000x, 4fps.



May 10, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · Speed test with CF cards


Lars Johnsson wrote:
I belive you have the perfect cards for your bodies and shooting Jim You will not gain much in buying the fast 1000x cards


Thanks, Lars! I try to keep up on what is current, as well as what applies to the older gear -- it's a lot to remember. So far, you have been right on memory cards and a lot of other gear. We all appreciate your sharing your test results and experience.



May 10, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Lasse Eriksson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · Speed test with CF cards


RichFisher wrote:
how do you tell the difference between the 2 versions. All my cards say 90 MB/sec and UDMA 6. B&H shows a card which still claims 90 MB/sec but claims UDMA 7. Still 90 MB/sec. In the real world what is the difference?


They say UDMA 7 on the card



May 10, 2013 at 09:58 PM
RichFisher
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · Speed test with CF cards


Lasse Eriksson wrote:
They say UDMA 7 on the card


Different label - wonder if they are any faster once inside a 1Dx? I can get a burst of ~50 shots with either the Lexar 1000x or Extreme Pro (UDMA 6) card before it noticeably slows done.



May 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · Speed test with CF cards


RichFisher wrote:
I then calculated how fast the camera can shoot when the buffer is full.


Now we're talking. That is useful information for those who feel they need the ability to shoot very long bursts. How fast will the rate be before filling the buffer (in most cases, the specs tell us roughly) and once the buffer fills what will the rate drop to.

Dan



May 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · Speed test with CF cards


I think this post is awesome, and it showcases some great numbers for people who need to know what card/how many shots they can get in relation to the speed of the card.
Thanks Lars!



May 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM
RichFisher
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · Speed test with CF cards


gdanmitchell wrote:
Now we're talking. That is useful information for those who feel they need the ability to shoot very long bursts. How fast will the rate be before filling the buffer (in most cases, the specs tell us roughly) and once the buffer fills what will the rate drop to.

Dan


Glad to help. I guess the high school algebra is useful after all

The after buffer is full is the information I value most. Before the buffer is full, I will get 12 FPS with any card, but after that cards matter.



May 11, 2013 at 04:46 AM
Sven Jeppesen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · Speed test with CF cards


Gunzorro wrote:
Thanks Lars! It's nice to have some practical yardstick to gauge these newer cards. It would be nice if we had a summary for which CF/SD cards are most appropriate to which camera bodies, from say 1Ds2 on up through 1DX/5D3/T5i models. I gave you a like on your last post, but it applies to the whole thread.

Dan -- I'm surprised you don't "get" the reason for the testing procedure (30 sec) to reduce time variables that would crop up in tabulating exposures in shorter bursts. While the 30 sec does have some application for action shooters, it is
...Show more


+100



May 11, 2013 at 06:41 AM
1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password