Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · D600 or D800 ? NEX7 user looking to make the leap.

MaxBerlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · D600 or D800 ? NEX7 user looking to make the leap.

There's way too much to address in your comments - Canon - as an example MTFs are calculated. Nikon uses different scoring 10 and 30 while Zeiss use 10-20 and 40. Sigma charts only use 10 and 30 and sometimes the curve drops off at 12.5 - but when they are designed for an APS-c this makes sense as any 'good light' produced won't land on the sensor.

There's nothing here that mentions different size sensors giving or needing a different protocol or results interpretation for MTF.

http://www.photozone.de/lens-test-faq

This was a a single resolution test of the center of an image. That's it. One MTF score. I see now that you're talking about MTF curves (charts with multiple ROIs)

If you're talking about MTF curves ( a number of data points (ROIs) taken from the center out to the corner) then sensor size will make a difference.

If I were looking at using the same lens on different sized sensors like a NIKON FX and DX and I was doing mutiple ROIs (an MTF curve) out to the corners of the chart/lens/sensor then there would be differences in how those results could be interpreted because the readings of the corner and edge of a DX are not the same readings or ROIs for the corners and edges of an FX.

A lens that shoots pretty flat on an FX would shoot very flat on a DX as the value is appx at 12.5 for the DX and over 20 for the FX.

You're right about the test of a 'system' camera + lens. It's all as photographers we should care about and not bench testing of lenses or calculated MTFs.

Imatest allows for me to know a few keys things for me about my eqpt. Is my lens aligned with my sensor. I've tested several NEX7s that did not have aligned sensors. Where does a given lens resolve the best? In most cases one doesn't need to test this - it's almost always 4.0-5.6. How does my eqpt compare to other eqpt ? Well as much as I'd like it not to be the truth the d800 seems to be 30-50% better based on this simple and inaccurate straight out of the camera JPG comparison in a poorly lit environment, badly aligned chart and also using AF on the Nikon (which handicaps it further).

I've done literally 1000s of these tests and even in the camera shop before Imatest spit out the score (when just selecting the ROI) I knew it was a blow away score.

The NEX is good the Nikon is way better. I don't have any doubt about that.

May 20, 2013 at 01:32 AM
MaxBerlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · D600 or D800 ? NEX7 user looking to make the leap.

I looked at your threads and notice that you're doing the opposite 800e to NEX. The NEX has some good points. One may be it doesn't depend on Nikon service (well documented) .

If you have a good NEX and it's aligned then the lens choices are wide open. When (if) the FF NEX comes out (or some other FF mirrorless with high IQ and it matches the Nikon DXO scores it will probably be an easier camera to use than the Nikon. It's a couple of other things (not resolution or MTF) that make the NEX best choice for me - the things I've already mentioned here - articulating screen, live view, clarity and critical focusing possibilities in the EVF, light weight, small size, lens possibilities and things that don't seem important in the camera shop but are critical once you've used them 1000s of shots in the field - like the EVF turning on automatically when I alternately go to look in it several times a shot from the display on the back and back again. This would drive me crazy on the Nikon.

The NEX7 did this with the lowly 28-85 Zeiss Vario. Nothing to complain about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeissgeist/8440126444/sizes/o/in/photostream/

May 20, 2013 at 01:54 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password