Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Gun Photography experiment

rdl65

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Gun Photography experiment

I shot this photo and was pleased with it. It was a 20sec. exposure using light sticks to light the gun. Red lightstick was stationery and the blue one I was moving to get different effects. I was just wondering what some of you would have done differently. C&C welcome.

DSC_7889 by rdl65, on Flickr

May 08, 2013 at 01:31 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.1 #2 · Gun Photography experiment

Pretty cool photo and I like the lighting effects. I would have preferred to see a slightly different focal plane a little further forward in the image. I find the clearly focused background a bit distracting compared to the OOF rounds in the front. Being in the front & brightly lit, the rounds are as much a subject as the gun.

May 08, 2013 at 01:59 PM
eeneryma
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Gun Photography experiment

Bathing a weapon in sexy, blue and red neon lights certainly presents a strong and provocative point of view. Given the current pro and anti gun climate and the events that have led to this, I surmise that you are looking to be confrontational by presenting this. You must know that your choice of subject matter is repugnant to many. My point of view is not to censor, only to personally question your choice of subject matter and political motivations.
From a photographic standpoint, the composition is compelling. There is considerable noise in the photo, but you could get rid of this if you wanted to.

May 08, 2013 at 02:38 PM
rdl65

p.1 #4 · Gun Photography experiment

eeneryma wrote:
Bathing a weapon in sexy, blue and red neon lights certainly presents a strong and provocative point of view. Given the current pro and anti gun climate and the events that have led to this, I surmise that you are looking to be confrontational by presenting this. You must know that your choice of subject matter is repugnant to many. My point of view is not to censor, only to personally question your choice of subject matter and political motivations.
From a photographic standpoint, the composition is compelling. There is considerable noise in the photo, but you could get rid of
...Show more

First of all,Thanks for the critique of the noise in the photo. My intentions of posting this photo was not to be confrontational at all. I realize there are pro gun and anti gun people alike.

I am just an amateur photographer trying to learn from some very accomplished Photographers. I mostly just lurk, read, and try to learn and I also don't post much because of my lack of experience. I don't have a budget with which to hire beautiful models but I do have guns who will model for nothing. I was just wanting to get some feedback on what I did wrong or what someone else would do differently. Heck, there are few things that will not offend at least a few people. Again my choice of subject matter was neither politically motivated or meant to be confrontational.

Squirrely Eyed, I see exactly what you are saying. I should have the subject away from the background and made sure the ammo was in sharp focus. Thanks.

May 08, 2013 at 03:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Gun Photography experiment

It doesn't do a lot for me ... not sure why just yet (other than points already mentioned @ focus).

But, I am diggin' the creative exploration of the unusual light source, as well as the play in color to generate a "mood" ... even thought the "mood" isn't quite doing it for me.

I'm not sure if John is lurking about much these days, but I'd like to hear his take on it.

The only thing that comes to mind for me atm, is that I'm looking for some black/neutral to "anchor" it. Without that either in gun, or the background, it leaves me feeling like it is a color cast rather than cool lighting. Not sure if that makes any sense or not. Again, I'm still a bit at this one.

Here's a look at the RGB separated into the three different channels (straight splits, i.e. no pp tweaks to taste). Interesting (imo) how differently they "present" for us. Had you used all "white" light, the differences would likely not be as dramatic. So, while the color versions of the blue & red lighting didn't do much for me ... the mono channels are a different story ... along with the ability to S&P to taste from here.

I'm diggin the mono's, with the Green channel being most dramatic since the lighting was R&B ... and the realm of possibilities they present both for presentation and for study.

Red Channel

Green Channel

Blue Channel

May 08, 2013 at 03:33 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Gun Photography experiment

Be wary of excessively cropping your subject. Adding negative space can improve an image.

May 08, 2013 at 09:02 PM
odnanref

p.1 #7 · Gun Photography experiment

i don't think the long exposure is necessary. interesting objects. think of an interesting angle and composition. try to have an interaction between your image and the audience.

May 11, 2013 at 07:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password