Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Archive 2013 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?
  
 
bemyzeke
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?


Kerry Pierce wrote:
How is that any different from using Manual mode on any Nikon that has 2 dials, the main command and sub command dials? You can even reverse them, putting Aperture on the Main and Shutter on the Sub dial.



Because A (for Auto) is just a setting on each dial. Need auto shutter? Move shutter dial to A. Need Auto Aperture? Move aperture to A. Now need to control shutter? move shutter dial to desired number.



May 08, 2013 at 11:39 PM
binary visions
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?


I must admit, there is a certain amount of pleasing simplicity to that. I frankly do not have your trouble of remembering what the wheels do, but having the mode just be part of the workflow is not a bad idea.

However, I'm not sure I would love thumbing through all of those aperture or shutter settings to arrive at "A"...

I can't say the current method is exactly a problem for me, though.



May 08, 2013 at 11:46 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?


bemyzeke wrote:
XE-1 and X-Pro mainly, but I think X100 has similar interface.


there's a lot more underlying in their interface then just the top plate. I have an X20 which is pretty much the same overall.



May 09, 2013 at 01:37 AM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?


Kerry Pierce wrote:
How is that any different from using Manual mode on any Nikon that has 2 dials, the main command and sub command dials? You can even reverse them, putting Aperture on the Main and Shutter on the Sub dial.

bemyzeke wrote:
Because A (for Auto) is just a setting on each dial. Need auto shutter? Move shutter dial to A. Need Auto Aperture? Move aperture to A. Now need to control shutter? move shutter dial to desired number.


Sorry, but I guess that I'm too stupid to grasp the significant difference between either P mode or M mode and what you say you want. P mode does both auto shutter and aperture and you don't need to change the mode dial. Change the shutter and the aperture is automatically adjusted, change the aperture and the shutter is auto adjusted, etc.

M mode is only different in that the shutter or aperture don't automatically adjust to changes in the other.

Kerry



May 09, 2013 at 04:05 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



binary visions
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?


Kerry, what he's saying is he doesn't have to change a mode dial in order to switch "modes." If he wants aperture priority, it's not a separate mode, he just moves the aperture wheel until it says "auto" (or whatever). If he wants shutter priority, move the shutter wheel until it says auto. Manual? Just move both to what you want.

There does seem to be a certain logic to it, though it limits your flexibility if you actually prefer a mode and then to assign that "empty" wheel to a function (like Easy ISO).



May 09, 2013 at 05:08 PM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?


Thanks for the interdiction, binary visions. That sounds like P mode on steroids. Nikon could easily add that to the code, I would think. Perhaps they will, if enough users request it.

thanks
Kerry



May 09, 2013 at 05:39 PM
gfinlayson
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?


With the new firmware update, you can customise the video record button to adjust ISO

Nathan Padgett wrote:
I hate that video button on a D800, so hard to change modes without taking your eye out and readjusting your hands. However on the D4 you can customize it to change ISO and even auto ISO. So now I always stay in manual, and when I need a quickly adjusting mode like aperature mode, I instead just quickly change to auto iso instead.




May 29, 2014 at 10:48 PM
1      
2
       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password