Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

bemyzeke
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

I always fiddle with the mode settings on my Nikon (or the dial on other cameras). I have to press the button and rotate a ring to change the mode, and I have to remember which direction to go for which mode. Then I have to remember which dials are for what based on the new mode I am in, and which direction does what. After 10K+ pictures on D800, and several times more on previous Canon's and Nikons, I still have not developed muscle memory for this. Changing mode is a chore.

Fuji has reminded me of how simple the world once was (and can still be). Two dials with fixed functions. The mode is implicit not explicit. This is how it should be. When I want auto aperture, I set the aperture to auto. When I want auto shutter, I set the shutter to auto. Much simpler then going the round about way of figuring out the right mode, changing the mode, and then resetting my memory to work with the new functions of the two dials.

They had it right in the 80's but lost it in the name of progress.

May 08, 2013 at 02:01 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

I'm confused about what the difference is?

When I want auto aperture, I set it to aperture priority. When I want auto shutter, I set it to shutter priority. The dials don't change: in whatever mode I'm in, the front dial changes aperture, the rear dial changes shutter. No re-learning muscle memory because the dials remain consistent.

Just curious as to what the difference is... are you saying you just rotate the dial into an "auto" position in Fuji world (i.e. 8 -> 5.6 -> 4 -> 2.8 -> auto)?

May 08, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Yeah you can't see which way you need to turn it, having to stretch over the video record button is more irritating though.

May 08, 2013 at 05:59 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

bemyzeke wrote:
I always fiddle with the mode settings on my Nikon (or the dial on other cameras). I have to press the button and rotate a ring to change the mode, and I have to remember which direction to go for which mode. Then I have to remember which dials are for what based on the new mode I am in, and which direction does what. After 10K+ pictures on D800, and several times more on previous Canon's and Nikons, I still have not developed muscle memory for this. Changing mode is a chore.

Fuji has reminded me of how simple the
...Show more

May 08, 2013 at 06:08 AM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

which fuji

May 08, 2013 at 06:33 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Really though, how often do you change modes?

May 08, 2013 at 07:27 AM
Albi86
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

I agree with the others...

I hardly use anything else then A mode. M gets used only with flashes and other specific situation.

Anyway I'm not sure what difference would make to turn one dial or another, since you made the Fuji example.

May 08, 2013 at 08:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

if you need to question this you bought the wrong toy.

May 08, 2013 at 09:28 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

It sounds more like a user error not remembering what to do. When something doesn't work right, the first thing people like to do is blame the tool. No company in the world can make you remember your settings.

I on the other hand, love my dial. One for landscape, one for people.

May 08, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Mark_L wrote:
Yeah you can't see which way you need to turn it, having to stretch over the video record button is more irritating though.

I hate that video button on a D800, so hard to change modes without taking your eye out and readjusting your hands. However on the D4 you can customize it to change ISO and even auto ISO. So now I always stay in manual, and when I need a quickly adjusting mode like aperature mode, I instead just quickly change to auto iso instead.

May 08, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Nathan Padgett wrote:
I hate that video button on a D800, so hard to change modes without taking your eye out and readjusting your hands. However on the D4 you can customize it to change ISO and even auto ISO. So now I always stay in manual, and when I need a quickly adjusting mode like aperature mode, I instead just quickly change to auto iso instead.

I'd love this so much, that and auto rotate on focus point selection between vertical and horizontal camera orientation.

May 08, 2013 at 02:40 PM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

The response to my original post has been mostly; huh?

Which is not surprising, as I would have said the same thing until a few days ago. However after experiencing the Fuji way of doing it, I found it so much better. Reminds me of what KR says about "Camera disappearing". I could just focus on taking pictures instead of fumbling with buttons.

I am not about to leave Nikon (unless Fuji comes out with full 35mm sensor camera), but I know now that there is a better way.

Edited on May 08, 2013 at 04:50 PM · View previous versions

May 08, 2013 at 03:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

in reference to the Fuji way, exactly what model Fuji are you referring to? cause they have a few "ways".

May 08, 2013 at 04:47 PM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

XE-1 and X-Pro mainly, but I think X100 has similar interface.

May 08, 2013 at 04:49 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Sorry for being so dense, but I've read your posts 3 times now and I'm still not sure what it is that is so bad about the mode dial. Keep in mind that I've not used any of the Fuji cameras mentioned.

I have a hard time understanding why you'd change modes so often that it would be a chore. My cameras are on A the vast majority of the time.

Have you considered using P mode? Perhaps that will solve the issue for you. I've played around with P and it can be rather convenient at times.

good luck.
Kerry

May 08, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

I'd like to have a mode dial on the D800. Not for PSAM, but for user modes (like the U1/U2 on D7000 series, or C1-C3 on the Canon). I.e. a dial with 8 banks, each a combination of shooting and custom banks, so they could be changed without going into the menu. And for those who do want to change out of Aperture mode, they could program some of those user banks with Manual or Shutter priority etc (like you can on the D7000).

May 08, 2013 at 05:18 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Bemyzeke,

Personally, I don't understand the difference. I can change modes on the fly and, by the way, there are more than 2 options. I shoot in manual mode often and never had a problem changing modes. Muscle memory makes things easier, but, if you turn the dial the wrong way, just move it the other directions. We are talking about seconds. Sorry, I just can't buy that this is preventing you from concentrating on taking pictures.

The reason there are not button dedicated to A S M and P is probably that they would clutter the camera body. Also, not sure what KR is talking about, but, for as long as I've been shooting, I've always selected shooting modes via a dial. That goes back over 30 years with Nikon and Oly cameras.

I think you would probably be happier with a Fuji and move away from Nikon and Canon.

May 08, 2013 at 05:22 PM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Kerry Pierce wrote:
I have a hard time understanding why you'd change modes so often that it would be a chore. My cameras are on A the vast majority of the time.

good luck.
Kerry

First of all, this is not Fuji only. All rangefinders and older SLRs also had the same way. It is really very simple. You have one dial for shutter, and another dial for aperture. That is it. Aperture dial always sets aperture and Shutter dial always sets shutter. There are no shooting modes and the behavior of dials does not change based on selected mode (as it does on all modern DSLRs).

The icing on the cake is that aperture dial is on the lens, so the right finger/thumb can do other things.

It is like the AF-On button thing. Once you get it, you don't want to go back.

May 08, 2013 at 05:32 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Zeke,

I like the idea.

It would be much easier to use in a bird blind situation for me... As it is, my camera is on a tripod, there's not enough room to flip the camera up to see the mode dial (plus it's dark and hard to see the lettering anyway), and there's no room for me to stand up to see the top of the camera. It would be faster and easier to set the dials and have it automatically in the right mode.

And I do switch from shutter priority to aperture priority quite often, so for me, that method would be ideal and seemless.

Cheers,
Michelle

May 08, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why do we need a mode dial, again?

Kerry Pierce wrote:

good luck.
Kerry

bemyzeke wrote:
First of all, this is not Fuji only. All rangefinders and older SLRs also had the same way. It is really very simple. You have one dial for shutter, and another dial for aperture. That is it. Aperture dial always sets aperture and Shutter dial always sets shutter. There are no shooting modes and the behavior of dials does not change based on selected mode (as it does on all modern DSLRs).

The icing on the cake is that aperture dial is on the lens, so the right finger/thumb can do other things.

It is like the AF-On button thing. Once
...Show more

How is that any different from using Manual mode on any Nikon that has 2 dials, the main command and sub command dials? You can even reverse them, putting Aperture on the Main and Shutter on the Sub dial.

All of the mid to higher end Nikon dslr's have both dials, from the d7000 on up, in the more modern generations. I do have a d5100 that doesn't have both dials, but all of my other cameras do. Again, I use Aperture mode the vast majority of the time, rather than Manual mode, so for me, even though I get it, I don't use it. I like to let the shutter speed float, much more often than not.

thanks
Kerry

May 08, 2013 at 06:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.