Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

jsuro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

I really like these a lot. The first seems better for some reason but I can't really say why. These would also be outstanding in B&W. Well done.

Jose

May 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
M.P.R.
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

Great photos.

I've been going to Factory Butte for many years to ride dirt bikes. That place is like no other for fun off road riding. But unfortunately, like many other dirt biking, off road places, it was closed down by environmentalists last year, and we aren't allowed to ride it anymore due to some rare cactus on the endangered list. A cactus none of us have ever seen in all our years riding there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrwFw3KbhQ

The ground changes often around there, sometimes with every few hundred feet. Consistency, color and sometimes in spring huge fields of small yellow and purple flowers bloom. I'm going to miss riding there.

May 11, 2013 at 03:54 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

These are truly gorgeous, but like many others, I prefer the muted version #1. I'd love to know more about this place and how you go about hiking at 1 a.m.!

May 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Fo Tollery
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

Have you considered b&w coversions? I'm wondering about the first one in particular....seems there's some potential there.

As presented, I'm inclined to think I'd choose the 2nd if I was in a buying mood. Though I can kinda understand why some might think it a bit oversaturated, I think it works well for this scene.

Either way, they are both wonderful shots!

May 12, 2013 at 08:44 PM
LSExplorer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

M.P.R. wrote:
Great photos.

I've been going to Factory Butte for many years to ride dirt bikes. That place is like no other for fun off road riding. But unfortunately, like many other dirt biking, off road places, it was closed down by environmentalists last year, and we aren't allowed to ride it anymore due to some rare cactus on the endangered list. A cactus none of us have ever seen in all our years riding there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrwFw3KbhQ

The ground changes often around there, sometimes with every few hundred feet. Consistency, color and sometimes in spring huge fields of small yellow and purple
...Show more

Thanks for the info. I checked the new rules and one of the rules says that "Stay on designated routes except where cross country travel is permitted (Swing Arm City). ". Does it mean that we can no longer hike on foot off road to take photos of the butte like the OP did?

Anyone has any answer?

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:35 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

Some day I hope to get there when the whole area is covered in flowers, that would be something.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Some day I hope to get there when the whole area is covered in flowers, that would be something.

Hey Andy, yeah, that would be my dream too! I had hoped for flowers all over, but there were just a very very few scattered flowers when I shot this.

Jim

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

The yellow color of these would work best with blue sky. Sunset will make that texture really pop too. I've shot the same types of geology north of Lake Powell (see Mustard Point) and most of the time I've been cursed by grey skies. When the light is right, the blue/yellow dirt and stone look amazing. If you make it there again, I'd put even more emphasis on the foreground and maybe get up close and personal with some of the cracked dirt. Maybe venture close to the buttes to alleviate the slant caused by the alluvium.

Sep 25, 2013 at 01:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jdc562
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

These are beautiful and interesting images. I couldn't help but think the cows didn't stop, but were sucked into that pit in the foreground of #1, which then closed behind them....

Sep 25, 2013 at 01:29 AM
John Zeman
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

LSExplorer wrote:
Thanks for the info. I checked the new rules and one of the rules says that "Stay on designated routes except where cross country travel is permitted (Swing Arm City). ". Does it mean that we can no longer hike on foot off road to take photos of the butte like the OP did?

Anyone has any answer?

I don't know the answer but I'll find out one month from now when I spend a week in that region.

Sep 25, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

Really nice Jim. These look natural. I would love for you to throw in a BW shot now and then. The dynamic range on your shots scream for it.

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:21 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

That first one is still one of my favorites of your images Jim. Maybe because of its uniqueness.

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:25 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

Mitchell Derr wrote:
Really nice Jim. These look natural. I would love for you to throw in a BW shot now and then. The dynamic range on your shots scream for it.

Hey Mitchell,

Thanks so much! Believe it or not I do convert to B&W once in a while... It's funny that back in the film days I always shot with 2 bodies, 1 with color slide or film, and the 2nd body was usually Tri-X B&W film.... Somehow though now a days I just have gotten away from doing as much B&W. I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Jim

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:38 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

ben egbert wrote:
That first one is still one of my favorites of your images Jim. Maybe because of its uniqueness.

Thanks Ben, I am glad you still like it! What's amazing about these shots is that it was my first time at Factory Butte. Other than my normal research and trying to get a lay of the land and how best to access it, I started out in the dark hiking towards Factory Butte, basically just feeling my way in the dark. It was a very fun adventure, and I am glad that somehow my meandering brought me to that location where everything just came together!

Jim

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

JimFox wrote:
Thanks Ben, I am glad you still like it! What's amazing about these shots is that it was my first time at Factory Butte. Other than my normal research and trying to get a lay of the land and how best to access it, I started out in the dark hiking towards Factory Butte, basically just feeling my way in the dark. It was a very fun adventure, and I am glad that somehow my meandering brought me to that location where everything just came together!

Jim

I thought I had a good Factory Butte until I saw yours. Now I want to return and find that location, but I will scout the day before.

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:05 PM
genefixer
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte

Jim

These are both so nice and so different from shots I took at these same locations last October on two mornings. The light and your interpretations make me want to return again....and again...

Mike

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:35 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password