Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Archive 2013 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte
  
 
ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


I prefer the second but both are nice and I can believe the colors in both. That place changes color like crazy with time of day. I think I was on the east side road and did not see any tracks but it had some vegetation and none of that dry lake bed look. The other tracks I saw were from dirt bikes.

I read that in the old days, people from Hanksville got coal from the butte for personal use.



May 09, 2013 at 12:27 AM
JimFox
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Hey Ben,

Thanks so much. I noticed the ground there varied a lot depending on where you were. And plus, unless you had hiked in off the road a couple of miles you wouldn't have seen this area.

Jim



May 09, 2013 at 05:44 PM
JimFox
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Aaron Cowan wrote:
Jim,

I prefer #1 because it has more texture and little ravines in the foreground. I too noticed the slight tilt. I keep looking at the buttes (mesas?) in the distance to the left and convince myself those are straight but I'm not too sure. As you say, it's probably more of an illusion since the foreground slopes down. Maybe just a little tilt clockwise would help...??


Hey Aaron, I am glad you like #1. As for the level, yeah, I was doing the same thing by checking the distant buttes. If I do angle the shot more clockwise, those buttes will be leaning quite heavily...

Jim



May 09, 2013 at 05:46 PM
JimFox
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


teked wrote:
Hi, Jim. Lovely shots. I also prefer the first. Seems to have a more natural look to it.

By the way, are you now a full-time photographer?

Ed


Hey Ed,

Thanks so much, I am glad you liked #1.

Yes, I am doing photography full time now. Leading workshops, etc.. I even have a new website and blog...

Jim



May 09, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Great location Jim! I like both images. The first one seems to represent the light and conditions but the way you composed the second is more appealing to me.
Fred



May 09, 2013 at 06:05 PM
roguecoolman
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Nice Crack Jim! Someone had to say it :P


I like #1 over #2. I think the foreground just sucks you right in from #1. #2 is a tough call on the leveling. because the left side buttes look like they are level, but just the slope you were on I guess thats throwing people off. It's a tough call but I guess it'll depend on your taste.

Jason



May 09, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Dougo
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Two very good shots Jim, I do like the colours and the composition of the first one best.

Cheers Ray



May 09, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Ed Swift
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Lovely shots Jim,

I prefer the processing of 1 but the composition of 2. I can imagine what you mean though when you say 2 lost its life when pushed too far. I can't see it working as well desaturated.



May 09, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Really like the first one


May 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM
dbehrens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Nice shots and well worth the effort. My favorite is #1 - like the composition and less saturated colors.
Dave



May 10, 2013 at 01:17 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



John Richter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Hi Jim,

First off, these are absolutely wonderful shots. Your angle and comp of catching the FG is terrific.

I really like your treatments in each one. Therefore, both are wall hangers IMHO.

Nice work!

JBR



May 10, 2013 at 02:19 AM
richardfromla
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Jim,

These are both sweet. Usually I like more saturation in arid shots but #1 has a subtle feel and great textures. Both rock! No pun intended.

Richard

PS I'm laughing because I have exactly the same music playing on my zenfolio site. Great minds think alike. lol

Edited on May 10, 2013 at 04:38 AM · View previous versions



May 10, 2013 at 04:25 AM
Jfarmer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Really great textures and forms in these Jim. Nice work. Can't wait to see some more out of this place.

Jon



May 10, 2013 at 04:33 AM
gordon l
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


looks like a great place for a walk.
The horizon looks off in #2 (maybe the earth is just tilted more there).
The clouds are awesome in #2. Like those plenty.



May 10, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Sunny Sra
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Damn ol' man! I'm coming with you next time!


May 10, 2013 at 05:17 PM
harshaj1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


I like both of them. #1 looks more natural. Great foreground texture formations leading to the butte.
Harsha



May 10, 2013 at 05:26 PM
JimFox
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


richardfromla wrote:
Jim,

These are both sweet. Usually I like more saturation in arid shots but #1 has a subtle feel and great textures. Both rock! No pun intended.

Richard

PS I'm laughing because I have exactly the same music playing on my zenfolio site. Great minds think alike. lol


Ha ha... hey Richard, I guess great minds think a like! What's the link to your Zenfolio site?

And thanks, I am glad you liked the shots.

Jim



May 10, 2013 at 05:57 PM
JimFox
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


Sunny Sra wrote:
Damn ol' man! I'm coming with you next time!



Ha ha....It will probably not be till the fall now, I am aiming a bit more north now that summer is almost upon us.

Jim



May 10, 2013 at 05:59 PM
JimFox
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


gordon l wrote:
looks like a great place for a walk.
The horizon looks off in #2 (maybe the earth is just tilted more there).
The clouds are awesome in #2. Like those plenty.


Thanks so much Gordon. It's definitely that the land is at that angle there, but I am going to try and see what I can do with the perception of level in both shots.

Jim



May 10, 2013 at 06:01 PM
JimFox
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Facing the Facts at Factory Butte


roguecoolman wrote:
Nice Crack Jim! Someone had to say it :P

I like #1 over #2. I think the foreground just sucks you right in from #1. #2 is a tough call on the leveling. because the left side buttes look like they are level, but just the slope you were on I guess thats throwing people off. It's a tough call but I guess it'll depend on your taste.

Jason


.... and someone had to do that...

Thanks Jason, I appreciate your thoughts, #1 is my favorite too with the way the foreground just really balances with Factory Butte, but I thought the spreading crack in #2 looked pretty cool too.

Jim



May 10, 2013 at 06:02 PM
1      
2
       3       end




FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password