Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Paul Gardner wrote:
Hi Ben: Take a look at DXO and C1. They have come a long ways. The IQ is every bit as good as PS, They just don't have all the other modifiers quite as far along, and the learning curve is different.
Regards
Paul

C1 does some things better during demosaic but it does others worse and I still find it is not quite to my taste. Didn;t try DxO yet. PhotoNinja is showing some early promise. (of course ACR works for now with PS CS6 so i don't really have to change my raw processor)

May 11, 2013 at 02:42 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I am presuming that anyone sticking with CS6 can upgrade copies of LR and LR will always open raw files (from new cameras as they are brought out) which can then be edited in CS6 if required.

This being the case, it would seem to me that this combination (the latest LR plus CS6) would be all many photographers will need for some years.

There is some concern that newer operating systems will not run CS6 but even that has a workaround...just partition the HD and keep one partition with the old OS and run photo editing from there. I am talking from a MAC perspective here...I don't know how PCs work in this respect.

May 11, 2013 at 03:26 AM
Dave Good
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I won't be subscribing. Aside from the financial aspect I am not comfortable with the whole cloud workflow. Perhaps I read too much George Orwell I will stick with Lightroom for now though.

May 11, 2013 at 07:02 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I'll never buy it.

While I do feel sad about their piracy losses:
1) They could simply get the current version of the software to check monthly. It doesn't require CC to fix that.
2) It'll be hacked anyway
3) They don't lose any money from piracy as people wouldn't buy it
4) There is a positive to *some* piracy, since people train in your application

However, CC is nothing to do with piracy. They've even said as much. It's about profits and specifically getting a more even and consistent monthly revenue stream, although I do wonder if they're concerned they can't continue to innovate enough to make people upgrade. I mean.. how much more is there to do to PS?

May 11, 2013 at 07:21 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
However, CC is nothing to do with piracy.

For sure this has nothing to do with piracy losses. Look at the cracks for the last god knows how many versions of Photoshop (10 mins with google will do it) - replace amtlib.dll with a cracked version and change your allowed hosts file so that the software can't phone home. If they'd really wanted to stop pirated versions they could have changed their authentication process years ago. For sure someone would probably still have worked out how to get around it, but the fact that they've stuck with the same flawed system and haven't tried to change it tells me they haven't really cared.

Aside from the more reliable stream, this move also relieves pressure on their development labs to come up with new versions every 18 months that are sufficiently compelling that folk pay to make the upgrade. I also believe they are worried that they have hit the plateau with respect to innovation and development.

May 11, 2013 at 07:47 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Our usual pattern in dealing with major innovations in tech matters as well as much else is initial resistance, eventual resignation and, finally, accommodation. Adobe is no doubt counting on this typical consumer behavior.

However, the new subscription plan, at least in its initial form, may not follow that familiar scenario. There are too many balking points in the stunning disregard and lack of accommodation for customers' differing needs.There is the ridiculous price increase, the loss of budgetary autonomy and perpetual credit account access inherent in the type of automatic contract renewal required by Adobe, the date of birth requirement that puts customer's identity information at risk, the potential for lack of privacy of work product and no doubt other considerations that all together are a threat and an insult to the company's base of faithful customers.

I use Photoshop in many ways and dislike the idea of losing it. At first, the new dispensation didn't seem too bad, but the more I consider its implications, the more resistant I am to continuing with Adobe products. I am not becoming reconciled, but the opposite.

May 11, 2013 at 08:02 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

This is what happens when any institution gets into a monopoly position in the market place.

I would like to think a major company like Apple will step in and provide a viable alternative...we shall see. I still think the big camera manufacturers have most to gain by collaborating in the production of a Photoshop alternative...even if not such a comprehensive package.

Personally...I have been drifting back to film.....and I can't see I would ever need anything more than I already have to enjoy what I do in that context.....assuming nothing happens to effect film production in the foreseeable future!!

May 11, 2013 at 09:04 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

To be honest, I think CS6 is enough for 99% of people. If they'd promise to bring it up to date for, say, £50 every 2 years, I reckon people would be happy enough.

May 11, 2013 at 09:30 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
To be honest, I think CS6 is enough for 99% of people. If they'd promise to bring it up to date for, say, £50 every 2 years, I reckon people would be happy enough.

They would, but Adobe won't stay in business long with that pricing structure...

May 11, 2013 at 09:47 AM
markdh
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

If I have thousands of layered TIFF/PSD files that I don't want to flatten, are there any other programs that will open them and allow me to access my edits?

This, along with Adobe's ability to charge whatever they want to rent their software in the future, is what concerns me. I really don't want to flatten all of these files and lose the edits because I have to move to another editor to open them.

May 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM
markdh
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

anthonygh wrote:
This is what happens when any institution gets into a monopoly position in the market place.

I would like to think a major company like Apple will step in and provide a viable alternative

I wouldn't count on that. When was the last time Apple updated Aperture?

Apple seems to be totally fixated on toys these days.

May 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

15Bit wrote:
They would, but Adobe won't stay in business long with that pricing structure...

Well, they're telling us they'll have 4 million CC subscribers by 2014 and that it's loved by the entire industry ... so I'm sure they'll be fine

You're right of course. So they should just stay where they are and entice people to CC over time, but leave the other option alone.

I do hate it when people have choice removed from them :/

May 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

markdh wrote:
I wouldn't count on that. When was the last time Apple updated Aperture?

Apple seems to be totally fixated on toys these days.

I agree. There's not enough money in it for the big players. It's going to take us all buying Corel so they develop their business and their product over time.

If we all did that, I'm sure they'd love it!

May 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I agree. There's not enough money in it for the big players. It's going to take us all buying Corel so they develop their business and their product over time.

Apple seem to be backing away from the niche software business. Aperture is getting a bit long in the tooth, and there seems to be some nervousness about their commitment to Final Cut Pro also.

In all honesty i'm not sure Apple are that much better than Adobe. For sure i wouldn't pull out the flags, fireworks and party hats if they announced a competitor to photoshop...

May 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM
markdh
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I've just downloaded a trial of Corel's Paint Shop Pro. It's not bad, and unlike Adobe Elements 11, it works in 16 bit mode. And while Elements 11 does open layered files, it's been totally dumbed down so it won't let you modify most edits created in Photoshop.

The downside of PSP is that it ignores my layers/masks, and only opens the background image.

Going forward it might not be a bad way to go, but for legacy stuff I'm still screwed.

May 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM
rockant
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

pipspeak wrote:
I don't.

Adobe has been whining about piracy for years yet that's clearly not affecting its ability to mint money and jack up prices of its products (a counter-intuitive reaction to piracy IMO). In its 2012 fiscal year Adobe reported record revenue of $4.4 billion, had a net profit margin of over 18% (GAAP), generated $1.5 billion in cash flow, and repurchased 11.5 million shares. That is not a company that's hurting from piracy IMHO.

While I do not defend the price that they are setting your numbers do not look at what divisions of the company are each making, like any company would need to. We can all tell based on improvements in Photoshop it is not like they are not investing into the produce and just relabeling. This product area, Photoshop and Creative Suite, have been hugely impacted by piracy and this is Adobe's answer.

I can tell you the best course of action for all Photographers is not to buy the suite and to write to Adobe and tell them that the current subscription rates are to high.

Personally, as a hobbyist I cannot justify the expense based on the number of hours I use Photoshop. As a Business Systems Analyst I understand what goes into the development and maintenance of software. We are now being victimized by software pirates, just as Adobe has been.

May 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Keith Flood
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

This makes no sense at this price point ($20/month) for photographers that only use Lightroom and PS, at $20/month this is more than double the cost of what I pay now which is roughly $199 for an upgrade every other year. I have been a faithful PS user since PS V.4 (way before CS4) and have paid for my software through Adobe every time.

I understand they are having financial issues and the times are a changing but I feel this is misguided and throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. Adobe is only going loose customers over this change. I do make some of my living through Photography but I don't use PS day in day out and really now with Lightroom use PS for just a handful of tasks but those tasks are critical to my work. There are no alternatives out there for me so I feel like I am being held hostage. Adobe really needs to look at this more and come up with a better plan. Can someone PM me an email address of an appropriate person at Adobe to voice my concerns about the CC?

Keith

May 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM
seanphotoguy

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

My 2 cents. When ever you have a subscription base you will always be running the numbers on raising your prices. There will always be the pressure to keep raising it as its the only way to grow the revenue. $20 will become $30 and $50 will be $60 so fast despite there assurances.

Say they have ten million subscribers, they can easily double the price and as long as they dont lose more than 50% of their users they are still better off. And how can you say no when you have so much invested in the files you have and all the learning you have done. At least when the cable guys raise the rates you have the option of switching to satellite. Who can you switch to when you have thousands of hours invested in multi-layer psd master files that no other program can alter?

This is my reason for objecting. I don't mind the CC model and delivering and updating the software over the internet ( i feel sorry for the rural areas) but I want to own it. I would subscribe to updates like I do with all my other software. Most charge 20% a year to receive updates and keep there versions current. Without maintenance I dont get updates or support. Don't like it but it works. but when I stop paying maintenance the software is still mine and I can still use it as long as it runs on a computer.

That is the model they should have moved too but some idiot with a spreadsheet has run a bunch of formulas and made the math look irresistible. The problem is and always will be. People aren't numbers in a spreadsheet, they have the ability to make choices and get pissed off and spiteful.

I have been using capture one for tethering and am using it more and more for editing. Hoping they cease the opportunity of the huge potential market opening up and ramp up the r&d and get layers etc. Then they will be serious competitors.

May 11, 2013 at 06:34 PM
seanphotoguy

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

UCSB wrote:
One thing I did notice is that if you are a student or teacher, it appears you can get everything for $20 month ... seems like a reasonable deal. Another interesting point, if you go with the Complete level of subscription, it seems to include LR ... so you can include your LR upgrade costs against the cost of your overall subscription.

EDIT: Student/Teacher will be $30 after June ... so that $20 will probably only be for the 1st year.

yes and then when you are done and don't want to pay full price all the work you have done is useless unless you flatten it all and export it to another format. They are counting on the low price getting you on the bus but the bus never stops and the fare will keep going up.

May 11, 2013 at 06:51 PM
Gene L.
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Not renting, I'll continue using what I have.

Once the dust settles and everyone (who is going to) gets committed to the rental model, I think we will see these two things start to happen...

1) Adobe will start raising the rent. It will be carefully calculated to optimize profit based on how many customers they will loose compared to the increased revenue from those who continue to pay rent.

2) Upgrades will slow down substantially. Adobe no longer has incentive to keep introducing new, cool features at a breakneck rate (and yes, putting out a major release every 18-24 months is incredibly difficult). They might even be able to lay off some engineering staff to squeeze out even a bit more profit.

May 14, 2013 at 06:02 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.