New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

After much angst , sent my 500mm f/4 and 1.4 TC in to be checked.
Prior to sending in , I called Nikon service described my issues and was advised to send both lens and TC in.

I was advised to show TC as accessory and send in same case as lens.

Not only, did I do the above, but also sent in separate form for the TC.

So, last week sent 2 day air to Nikon in Los Angeles as instructed.

Nikon signed for on 5/2/13 . Just received email confirmation with service repair order number for lens only.

First issue - Lens is under warranty ( copy of receipt showing purchase date of 5/6/2012 was sent with lens along with copy of warranty card)
Nikon is requesting payment for service estimates of $465.00 for B2 repairs.

I called and was told no proof of receipt was sent. I have just emailed another copy of proof of purchase.

Second issue -- They have not acknowledged receipt of TC. They are now looking for it.

Hope this has a happy ending.

Birdie

Edited on May 13, 2013 at 08:42 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2013 at 11:42 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

They've weaseled out of warranty repair in the past by claiming impact damage. Hope you don't have to deal with that argument.

May 07, 2013 at 12:33 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

Impact damage is their standard reason for broken parts. It's their view that components inside a camera body or lens do not "break" under normal use. So Nikon will always label a repair as impact damage if they find broken parts/part, therefore charging for repair under warranty.

I've only had this problem once with a 3-4 month old D200 with a broken mirror assembly. They claimed that it was from impact. I let them know that I had bought it new in an undamaged box, and there had been no dropping/impact in my possession. Therefore any such "impact" must have happened(by Nikon) prior to packing and shipping from the factory. Well, they didn't like this theory, but after a couple more phone calls, my camera was fixed under warranty.

May 07, 2013 at 01:00 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

It beggars belief that a corporation that relies upon photography for the bulk of its income would treat its customers so badly. Nikon are not in the position that Canon, where the photography division is a relatively small part of a large corporation, yet based upon figure from LensRentals, Canon (and Tamron and Sigma) perpetually trump Nikon when when it comes to service. Not even close.......

Hope someone in Nikon decides that customers come first, and you , Roberta are the beneficiary of this change of attitude

Tim

May 07, 2013 at 05:13 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

Worries me that you're having problems with the lens already. I'm currently in save mode to get that lens. In a case like that it sounds like I'd wish I knew someone nearby a service center that I could send it to and have them walk it in for me.

May 07, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

They lost my 35 that I sent in with my d3x. It took 4 weeks and a lot of haggling before they replaced it.

May 07, 2013 at 11:35 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

As an update, Nikon did finally find my TC.
Wish I could say that resolved my frustration, but sadly no.

Both lens and TC are showing b2 repair . I cannot get anyone to confirm the following :

1. Have they tested the lens with and without the TC
2 . Why does the TC work wonderfully with the. 300 f/4 but not the. 500 ?
3. How can the tc work with ever lens but the 500 need 165.00 in repairs?

So very frustrating dealing with the 800 number.

Birdie

Edited on May 13, 2013 at 09:17 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 08:41 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hopefully not the beginning of repair horror UPDATE

Birdie,
that happened to a 400 2.8 AFSII that I had, and Nikon replaced what I believe was a dc board. Vaguely remember...
The lens would work great without tc's once the tc was one it was a different story. After Nikon did the repair the lens worked great with all tc's...

May 13, 2013 at 09:01 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.