New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

pinball_pw
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Overview
I am visiting Yosemite for the first time in about a month. I have been reading Michael Frye’s book on photographing Yosemite and find it helpful. I will be there on vacation for a week with my wife. I hope to come home with several wall hangers and plenty of memories. I am curious as to your opinions on which lenses to bring with me. I will likely bring more lenses than I will carry on any individual hike.

My Current Lineup
Cameras: 2 Canon 5D MK II and Canon 40D
Zoom Lenses: 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS,
Zeiss Primes: Zeiss 21 2.8 ZE, Zeiss 35 f2 ZE, Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZE, Zeiss 50mm f2 MP ZE, Zeiss 100mm f2 MP ZE
Canon Primes: Canon 35mm 1.4L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85 1.2L V1, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 300 2.8 IS V1, Canon 400 5.6L

My Thoughts
Canon 24-105 will come long as it would be helpful to have when near the waterfalls. I don’t want to have change lenses then.
Canon 70-200 will come along to cover the telephoto opportunities. I may consider the 135 and an extender.
Zeiss 21mm will come along as I love this lens and the IQ it produces.

What else should I bring?
I do not have a CPL for my Zeiss 21mm. I have used a damaged Heliopan CPL, but don’t really want to use this as it has impacted photos. Would you recommend one for Yosemite?
Any other thoughts?

May 07, 2013 at 09:32 AM
matt4626
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

24-105 will cover 90%+ of what you need for Yosemite. 21 & 70-200 should be fine for the other 10%.

May 07, 2013 at 09:48 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

On my recent trip there, which was a family trip with walks and mild hikes every day, I took most of my images with the 24-105 on the 5D2. Second most was the 16-35L II. I never used the 24 TS-E II or used a tripod. I took about 5% of my shots with 100-400L on 1Ds3, and a few shots on the G10. This was the most fun trip, carrying only a camera/lens and extra lens on walks.

Contrary to your thinking, you'll want the widest zoom nearer the waterfalls (16-35), and longer lenses across the valley (24-105).

I opted to not slow everything down to a grueling slow pace (as I usually do) with the TS-E lenses and tripod. But I might do this next trip if it's only my wife along and taking solo hikes part of the time. Next time, I'm thinking of only taking the TS-E lenses: 17, 24, 45, and 90, since I used to cart around a 4x5 with three lenses. Maybe I'll have a replacement for the G10 by then (G1X or RX100?).

My previous trip (2012) was the Samyang 14 (15%), 24 TS-E II (35%), Leica R 60 macro (40% -- lots of pano stitches), and the G10 (10%). My best shots were mostly from the 24 TS-E, hand held, followed by 60mm stitches.

Still, I would not take more than four lenses,whichever way you choose.

Lots of choices -- have fun!

May 07, 2013 at 10:02 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

I'm headed there next week for the first time in my life. I'm also doing a one on one session with a photographer. I have a similar Zeiss line up for my 5D III but I'm also bringing my 70-200mm/2.8 II. I'm going to leave the 24-105mm home as I plan to do a lot on tripod so I can take my time with lens selection so I'm bringing the Zeiss family.

May 07, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

rji2goleez wrote:
I'm headed there next week for the first time in my life. I'm also doing a one on one session with a photographer. I have a similar Zeiss line up for my 5D III but I'm also bringing my 70-200mm/2.8 II. I'm going to leave the 24-105mm home as I plan to do a lot on tripod so I can take my time with lens selection so I'm bringing the Zeiss family.

I'd certainly go with the 24-105 over the telephoto. You'll find out why when you get there! Ha-ha.

Imagine trying to cover your Minneapolis shots of buildings and streets with the 70-200! Sure, you could probably get something, but not like with a wide angle to normal range lens. The valley is comparatively closed in, being about 1/2 mile across, but El Capitan and Yosemite Falls rising around 3000 feet directly from the valley floor! Think of photographing a skyscraper about a mile wide! Seriously, each vertical feature of the Valley is best thought of in architectural terms. You will likely want some framing with the close and middle distance landscape, unless doing little nature vignettes (which is not Yosemite's strong suit). No wildlife to speak of. Think about. And think wide.

I'm sure you'll have an awesome time, regardless of your camera gear! You can't go wrong really.

This pano was about 6 shots in landscape orientation, from across the Merced River -- a popular site of this shot. you can estimate from the focal length used for the composite what the wider single focal length would be, and this is a much tighter shot that is normally taken here.

May 07, 2013 at 10:33 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Don't forget your tripod hole spotting scope!

May 07, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

carstenw wrote:
Don't forget your tripod hole spotting scope!

Huh?

May 07, 2013 at 11:45 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

I am guessing he means for viewing wildlife. Someone had one of those in the Banff area when I was up there about 5 years ago. It was nice to see the moose a bit closer when they were in the meadows.

Thank you guys for the thoughts. I don't have a 16-35 or a 17-40. Heard too many things negative about their image quality to pick them up I guess. I will stitch if I need something wider than my 21mm.

Has anyone here explored the other 2 parks in the region?

May 07, 2013 at 12:06 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

pinball_pw wrote:
I I don't have a 16-35 or a 17-40. Heard too many things negative about their image quality to pick them up I guess.

I tried DPP DLO feature for 17-40 pics and it really makes a difference. I strongly recommend it. It isn't a Zeiss 21mm (which I never tried), I am aware of that.

May 07, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Gunzorro wrote:
Huh?

What he means (my interpretation) is using a spotting scope to find the tripod holes in the most famous shot locations. There are permanent indentations in certain locations.

And, I couldn't imagine going to Yosemite without my tripod!

Jo

May 07, 2013 at 01:36 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Jo, you are probably right. I will certainly be taking my Gitzo along. I didn't list that earlier as I figured that was obvious. I am not going to try and recreate others works. That may be hard to avoid by default, but that is not my goal. That is funny about the tripod holes though.

May 07, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Coming from Carsten, it is open to wide interpretation!

My tipping point for not using the tripod much in Yosemite, was in the late 90s, when I decided to take only my Pentax 67II and the (then new) 75/2.8 ASPH (35mm AOV for FF). I wandered around in the fall taking only hand held shots on Velvia, and it was pretty impressive. Prior to that I hauled my Toyo 45G, Bogen 3051 tripod and a "Lady Baltimore" overnight case full of film holders and an extra lens. That's quite a damn load!! So, I seldom break out the tripod these days, except for specific planned shots. If I take the tripod, its like having to choose to leave a lens or two behind. You young folks -- go for it! I did, once.

Here's a fun one that came from the 16-35L II (great lens! don't listen to rumors. ).

May 07, 2013 at 02:44 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Haha, I was just making fun of all the people looking for Ansel Adams' tripod holes to repeat the same old shots he did more than a half a century ago. In truth, I would probably do the same

May 07, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

I was just there in March and posted some of the shots on a thread a few weeks ago. The weather wasn't great and we had our baby to look after, so the shots were not as good as I would have liked. Still it was great fun. For a short trip you really need to decide what your are going to shoot and what you will pass up. There are way to many good opportunities to capture them all, even if you take a week. I had a lot of help picking the spots as my wife worked at the park in the 90s. I used the ZE 21 by far the most with my 5D II, but I used my Minolta 400 f/5.6 APO second most, and I used my 105 f/2.5 Nikkor quite a bit as well as it was a great lens for certain locations. I also shot from a tripod most of the time. In contrast, my wife never used a tripod (she has an OM-D) and shot most with the Panny-Leica 25 f/1.4. You can shoot in so many different ways, I am would suggest that you remain true to your own style.

May 07, 2013 at 07:31 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Just so you know we have had a record dry winter season this last winter, especially since January. So already waterfalls are at near peak levels and will start going down and will run dry sooner than usual this year. It is also into the busy part of the season so expect a lot of traffic in the valley. I live in bay area and go there a lot.
I like bringing my zeiss21, 50MP, 100/2P, and Leica 180/2.8 APO. I was able to hike with those lenses and 1ds3 all the way up to the base of the upper Yosemite falls but it was tiring. I mostly shot on tripod with MLUP. Bring polarizer.
Enjoy the park despite all the people and plan to come back as there is too much to see. Seeing the upper elevations of the park near Tuolumne meadows is worth it .Have a great trip!

May 07, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

I've been there about 20 times (used to live in Reno, just 3 hours north). Given your setup, I'd stick with a single 5D and extra batteries. In terms of lenses, I would bring a 21, the zooms and the 400 for wildlife.

I would get a 6-stop ND filter for the waterfalls (though by June they'll be thinning out), a tripod, and (unless you don't mind blending) some ND grads- afternoon/dusk sun is gorgeous off the granite walls.

pinball_pw wrote:
Has anyone here explored the other 2 parks in the region?

If you mean Kings Canyon and Sequoia, then yes. Kings Canyon is OK... if I was crunched for time, I would try to see Sequoia. It's jaw-dropping.

May 07, 2013 at 08:45 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

A tripod can help you stake out space on the rocks overlooking Half Dome at Glacier Point for sunset as well as help with the usual low light, flowing water, sunset, night shots, etc. Long lenses might help for some wildlife shots (thinking deer in the valley meadows, etc.) but bears and coyotes tend to keep moving, maybe some luck with bears around camp areas at night but aside from hearing rangers chasing them away, I've apparently slept through any really closish bear visits when camping.

You'll get the squirrels, ground squirrels, common local birds etc., but they probably won't drive you to longer lenses.

You might find a long lens handy to capture climbers on the cliffs but if you are flying and space is an issue, you probably won't miss them. If driving and space isn't an issue, you might get some use out of one.

May 08, 2013 at 04:22 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Lovesong wrote:
I've been there about 20 times (used to live in Reno, just 3 hours north). Given your setup, I'd stick with a single 5D and extra batteries. In terms of lenses, I would bring a 21, the zooms and the 400 for wildlife.

I would get a 6-stop ND filter for the waterfalls (though by June they'll be thinning out), a tripod, and (unless you don't mind blending) some ND grads- afternoon/dusk sun is gorgeous off the granite walls.

If you mean Kings Canyon and Sequoia, then yes. Kings Canyon is OK... if I was crunched for time, I would try to
...Show more
Talk about service after the sale. I bought a 5D from you about 3 years ago. Thanks for your thoughts. The 21 and zooms are in. I am considering bringing my Zeiss 50MP as well.

May 08, 2013 at 09:07 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

I appreciate the comments on being able to go wide. I have the Zeiss 15/2.8 and 21/2.8 ZE for wide. Additionally, I'll have the 50/100MPs and an 85mm contax (Buchanan Converted). I want the 70-200 for compressed landscapes like the sequoias at Mariposa and also for the dogwoods.

So long as we're on this subject, I've heard that Tunnel View gets quite crowded but some suggest Artist's Point as an alternative. Is this easy to find from the Tunnel View area? Is it marked?

May 08, 2013 at 09:25 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens Selection for Yosemite

Bob -- The people come and go at Tunnel View, so it's not hard to stake out a spot. I've never taken the short hike up to Artist's Point.

Makes sense, your plan for the lenses!

I'm sure you'll have a great time and bring back some great stuff for us to see!

May 09, 2013 at 12:12 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.