Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Alternative software to Photoshop

One thing about Topaz plug-ins is that Topaz also makes a stand-alone utility that lets you use the plug-ins without using Ps at all.

I'll keep using Lr as long as I can because it leaves me the option of moving between Windows and Mac platforms, whereas Aperture does not. Apple, unfortunately, has a recent history of botching their high-end apps by dumbing them down or by insisting that we do everything via the cloud.

Lightroom will go to the subscription model. Microsoft Office is going that way and certainly a lot of Office users are not professionals. Eventually the stand-alone licence becomes unmanageable, as in MS Office needing to be reactivated every time I plug in or remove an eSATA drive, or the software only being allowed on a single computer/hardware combination and not being transferable when you upgrade your computer.

At least in the US you guys don't get slugged a 30-100% premium for being foreign just to download the same software from the same web. That's what happens in Australia.

The worst thing that could happen for Adobe is that another application gains traction in the academic community so that courses and books are as readily available for it as they are for Ps now. Once that happens Adobe will have to go into damage limitation mode but until then they are largely immune to our suffering.

- Alan

May 08, 2013 at 02:23 AM
cdecoro

p.2 #2 · Alternative software to Photoshop

wsheldon wrote:
(and I'm a MATLAB jock at work)

You have my sympathies.

wsheldon wrote:

The Corel Photopaint package in CorelDraw X6 is pretty powerful, but still no match for PS. I'll definitely be milking PS CS6 for the foreseeable future myself.

I'll definitely have to try it out. I used to use CorelDraw significantly back in their single-digit days (maybe 9 was the last I used?). I still find that version useful to fire up for small tasks occasionally -- thank goodness I bought a perpetual licenses. Maybe it's time to give it another look.

May 08, 2013 at 06:20 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Alternative software to Photoshop

WAYCOOL wrote:
Photoshop in its current configuration still works better than everything else out there. Why look for alternatives now, unless someone delivers a product with a compelling feature then I see no reason to panic now.

+1

May 08, 2013 at 10:50 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #4 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Anyone thought what happens if Adobe goes under to all the PSD's you have on your drives?
All your work gone.
You may be able to open them via another program but the whole reason you save them as a psd is to preserve layers etc.
Even if you decided to opt out you lose all that work.
And what if next year the price doubles??
Captive audience with no way out.
Maybe now is a good time to leave Adobe behind and i will at least be looking around something i would never of done otherwise.

May 09, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #5 · Alternative software to Photoshop

My main problem is I use Photoshop automation to help me keep my mind in working condition. With all the bugs Adobe has introduced into Photoshop's automation since CS4 my mind workout plan has been working out well and I have been able to enjoy my monthly case of wine. Now it looks like all I have to look forward to is my monthly case.

May 09, 2013 at 03:48 AM
Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Alternative software to Photoshop

dehowie wrote:
Anyone thought what happens if Adobe goes under to all the PSD's you have on your drives?
All your work gone.
You may be able to open them via another program but the whole reason you save them as a psd is to preserve layers etc.
Even if you decided to opt out you lose all that work.
And what if next year the price doubles??
Captive audience with no way out.
Maybe now is a good time to leave Adobe behind and i will at least be looking around something i would never of done otherwise.

I dislike Adobe enough that I have largely avoided saving PSD layers. If I do not like the final processing result, I can always add new adjustment layers for some final adjusting. If the results are way off, I am almost always better off starting over from the raw file.

As a total alternative to Photoshop, I do like some of the aspects of Canon's DPP software. It is certainly not as comprehensive but the raw converter works better than Adobe ACR.

May 09, 2013 at 04:00 AM
nikhatparveen

p.2 #7 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Well as per me no one can compete photoshop, but still many look for alternative as it is veyr expensive piece of software,
Gimp is the best software after photoshop and that too free, its a desktop application and turn out pic very great.
Next is Browser based photoshop alternative editor which you can use form any browser without hassle to download. and also have many features as compare to GIMP
photoshop alternative editor

May 13, 2013 at 05:55 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #8 · Alternative software to Photoshop

rater wrote:
Ah, I was going to ask the same question. I already use Aperture instead of Lightroom to manage images but when I need some serious image edition I rely on Photoshop... I guess I will continue to use my CS6 version in the short term, but with the new online subscription focus I am wondering what I will use in the medium / long term. I wonder if there is any nice alternative to Photoshop...

What is is about CS6 that means you can't use it in the long term? I can't imagine what features could be added to the programme that are so radical people feel it makes CS6 redundant. If one can produce great images with it now...why not in a decade?

May 13, 2013 at 09:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Alternative software to Photoshop

anthonygh wrote:
What is is about CS6 that means you can't use it in the long term? I can't imagine what features could be added to the programme that are so radical people feel it makes CS6 redundant. If one can produce great images with it now...why not in a decade?

+1
(although, I think you may have meant "obsolete" vs. "redundant")

You could put me back on CS3 and I'd still be able to do the same things I most frequently do in CS5 or CS6.

Sure, 32 bit would be slower, and there would not be content aware and a few bells & whistles, but the salient point @ the fundamental tools are relatively unchanged ... what in the world could CS99 have that you don't already have on CS5.5 or CS6?

Sure, ACR versions may update and new camera/new lens correction updates might not be there ... but for updates and ACR ... stay current @ LR.

But, if you really want to migrate from PS because of $$$ ... Corel Paint Shop Pro X (PSP) worked for me before I upgraded to PS @ CS3. If it wasn't for the primary reason that PS offers LAB and PSP doesn't I probably could have still remained on PSP. Now that I've learned to harness more of what PS offers and I'm a bit engrained to the PS workflow ... I'll simply stand pat on using my CS6 tools. I really can't envision why I'd need anything else that they could possibly add to PS.

Everybody's bent at Adobe ... but imo, you have to ask yourself, what is it that you really need from your tools. You've lived your entire life without the next "bell & whistle" that they're gonna put in PS through the cloud or CS7-CS99, and as far as I can tell, PS is so mature that the only thing left to do is change the window dressing or toss in a bell & whistle or two.

My guess is that Adobe probably knows there isn't much left for them to change/improve and has realized that not many folks would buy CS7 because it can't be that much different from CS6. So, rather than wait to see CS7 sales be even flatter than CS6, the subscription route is the model. But, Imo ... we'll need updates from the subscription about as much as we need CS7 ... i.e. we don't.

But people are "scrambling in fear" that they might miss out on something they've never had and jumping on the bash bandwagon because it's more satisfying than accepting the notion that you'll still be driving the same old car (CS5/CS6) a year or two from now. The emotion of Adobe taking away our options is driving people nuts and they are abandoning the logic of what it is they actually need faster than people were leaping from the Titanic.

If you truly like/need PS and the tools it offers ... probably not too much to think about. If the cloud thing is your biggest issue, you're talking about $$$, not tools. Many of the tools I have in my garage will last me a lifetime ... no matter if they do come out with a new & improved lighter, stronger more $$$ hammer. But, I'm not so sure the nail will know the difference.

May 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.2 #10 · Alternative software to Photoshop

When I started the thread I should have stated that I am only interested of peoples opinion about alternative software for Photoshop and probably for Lightroom. Not opinions about WHY are people upset about Adobe for changing their licensing system.

I am not "panicing", "scrambling in fear" of "jumping whatever bandwagon", I am just looking opinions about different software. But since some people need reasons for other peoples actions, I give a real world example happened to ME and one of the reasons I don't like having all my eggs in same basket:

Once upon a time I used a software called Freehand, at the time developed by Macromedia, later acquired by Adobe.
Most of my vector work was done with Freehand, so I was in a bit nervous when Adobe get the software. At the time Adobe stated that "they will continue the support the software", less than year a later they killed all support for the software and removed even the "import" option of Freehand files from the Illustrator. So at the time I though like "anthonygh" at earlier post: If one can produce great images with it now...why not in a decade?
So I continued to use the software happily. Or until the next windows update came which killed the software completely and refused to re-install. So all my logos, artwork and other files in a format you cannot open with any sofware.

After that I've always trying to figure out options for software and keep my eyes and mind open for everything.

May 13, 2013 at 02:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Alternative software to Photoshop

anthonygh, rustybug, and others,

For me, and I think many of us it is not a "scrambling in fear" nor is it a question of getting the latest/greatest new PS widget (that likely will be of use to only a few). Yes CS6 does what I need and bluntly more as it has become the "kitchen sink" graphics program. There are certainly many things in it that I as a photographer and image creating professional won't ever use.

The real problem with standing pat at CS6 is not Adobe, but the creeping (leaping) obsolescence driven by OS change. How long will we be able to use CS6? Till Win10, OSX11 . . .? I certainly don't run out and buy new hardware every time Intel kicks out a new processor or the big two upgrade their OS. Still, I'm three+ years into my current hardware and from my perspective one can never have too much power when dealing with graphic data. My RAWs are now coming in at least 25MB in size. I strongly suspect we'll see 40MB from Canikon in the near future. We are stating to talk heavy lifting here and at some point I'll have to throw more hardware at it to get the job done.

As others have noted there are several "plugin" publishers that also provide for their product to stand alone. Perhaps they should talk to one another and build a shared framework?

Also the FreeHand story struck a real chord with me. I hung on to it as long as possible and bluntly still hate Ai though I have to use it. Finally my OS would no longer support the abandoned FreeHand. Who really knows what gifts the great god Adobe will offer and withdraw from those of us have "opened a vein" to keep our software alive?

Robert
(Actively looking for alternatives.)

May 14, 2013 at 04:07 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #12 · Alternative software to Photoshop

I think it will be a long time before CS6 won't run on Mac software...but if Apple brings out an OS that it won't work on I would merely partition my drive and keep CS6 on the partition with the OS that works.....and put the new OS on the other partition.

I do that sort of thing anyway. When I moved to ML I used TimeMachine to duplicate everything to a new partition, applied ML.....and started using that...always on the look out for bugs of course!!

As it happens....I actually prefer the earlier OS and the ML partition is rarely used. I hope to upgrade to a new iMac soon as mine is 4 yrs old...so will just do the same sort of thing but with the new computer.

As for alternatives to PS...I suspect those companies that sell imaging software will be watching the Adobe situation carefully and will be assessing whether there are new market opportunities opening up. So things might look a lot different long before using CS6 becomes problematic!

May 14, 2013 at 04:37 PM
ebiggs
• •
p.2 #13 · Alternative software to Photoshop

There is nothing out there as good as CS6. Period! And there is also no reason to stop using it.
Get (buy) LR5 and keep CS6 and you are in a really good way.

May 15, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.2 #14 · Alternative software to Photoshop

ebiggs; LR5 does not at this point have the content aware brush so it cannot replace PSCS6.

May 21, 2013 at 05:20 AM
rddelliott
• • •
p.2 #15 · Alternative software to Photoshop

The best vote for alternates to Photoshop is with you pocketbook. I would think CS6 will be good for quite a while for my needs and a switch as a Mac user to Aperture for RAW conversions. Not subscribing to the Cloud hits Adobe where it hurts at the profit line. So my vote is to continue to use CS6 + Aperture ( or a similar Raw Converter) until something better comes along.

May 21, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.2 #16 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Bring out the Gimp.

It's what I use because I'm saving my money for equipment rather than software at this point. While maybe not as easy to use as Photoshop for some things, it is still quite powerful so long as you can handle its limitations.

May 21, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #17 · Alternative software to Photoshop

For many Advanced Photoshop Users there is no viable alternatives. They have heavily invested in Photoshop and perhaps and other Adobe software. They have written software for Photoshop developed procedures and workflows and have many assets tied into Photoshop. And trained their workforce. Large users do not have a problem with the pricing.

Its the single application small user that has a big problem. At $50 a month the large user get 7 main application plus Adobe add a bonus of 10 or so minor applications or add-ons in. The cost is under $7 and application. Adobe is demanding 3 times that from the small guy. If it comes down to it. You can reprogram learn different application and languages and become productive again in some time frame. Why brother when you can just continue using CS6 and work around its bugs.

For CC is a trap. Photoshop will continue on it development Path so PSD and other files created in the future will not be able to be process with CS6. So once in there is no out your trapped. Adobe kidnapped your assets and will be holding them for payment.

The digital image market has been big for some time and continues to grow. At one time Adobe had some competition that has either fallen to the wayside or has been out developed by Adobe. Photoshop is 20 years old. It took Microsoft 20 years to develop Windows into something usable and stable. Other companies like Apple gave up on creating the own OS and abandon their OS 7 and OS 9 and turned Unix but called it OS X. So its no more a golden opportunity today day then is was yesterday. Photoshop is not going to be outdated or overtaken anytime in the foreseeable future.

May 21, 2013 at 08:56 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Alternative software to Photoshop

For those the don't use the full suite of Adobe tools; their features, there are some lessor functioning/feature rich products that might service both graphics design, photography and video production.

Currently Corel has individual and a suite of products that they are offering to Adobe users that are not interested in the new 'Cloud' pricing scheme. Up until August 30th of this year you can purchase their products at their 'UPGRADE' pricing.

I'm a Corel Painter owner; have been since the 80's with v3. Having recently purchasing CS6 and Lightroomm 4 the cloud for me is a much later addoption. I was thinking of upgrading from Premiere Elements to the full version but will not be doing so now; without a future upgrade path i'll look elsewhere until my video work demands it.

If you're interested in Corel's offerings, here's a link to their offers for Adobe users. They have full trial versions available for download, you get 30-days to evaluate, then you pay the upgrade price if you choose to keep the product.

http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=14900014&TRKid=SMPR_CC_&swuid=416&swref=facebook#upgrade

I use to use PanitShop Pro long ago and just found out that the 'X5 Ultimate' product has the NIK Color Efex filters as well as portrait/face enhancement tools, built in. As a non-pro, these might be usable, an alternative for our PP.

Cheers,
Jerry

May 21, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #19 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
Since Adobe just convinced me to consider alternatives to Photoshop and Lightroom, I wonder what other software are people using for photo editing?

I don't think there is really anything viable yet, GIMP is somewhat there, in some ways it is better than photoshop but in other ways it still has some serious limitations. Unless actual photographers start contributing to it and adding the things that photographers actually want, it's probably not going to work out.

Some commercial software that can do some of the things that photoshop does, but really nothing that is as comprehensive as it, it really depends on what you use photoshop for.

May 22, 2013 at 04:09 AM
mcbane

p.2 #20 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Is anyone tried using Acorn, in the App store for $30? Supposedly it works with layers, does layer masks and layer filters, and knows how to open Adobe PSD files.

May 23, 2013 at 09:30 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password