Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Sami Ruusunen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Since Adobe just convinced me to consider alternatives to Photoshop and Lightroom, I wonder what other software are people using for photo editing?

I just purchased the Pixelmator and tried it briefly, feels fine but need to use it more to learn if it's right for me.
I am not a fan of gimp which I tried for few months.

I've been using Photoshop since 1992 (version 2.5) so I'm pretty much growed to it and the transition will not be easy for me.

I also just purchased the Aperture so I can decide if I can get rid of the Lightroom too.

May 07, 2013 at 01:41 PM
rater

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Ah, I was going to ask the same question. I already use Aperture instead of Lightroom to manage images but when I need some serious image edition I rely on Photoshop... I guess I will continue to use my CS6 version in the short term, but with the new online subscription focus I am wondering what I will use in the medium / long term. I wonder if there is any nice alternative to Photoshop...

May 07, 2013 at 02:05 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Isn't Aperture more of a Lightroom replacement? In that sense, so is Capture One Pro.

True alternative imo are Gimp, Matlab and Corel Paintshop Pro.

May 07, 2013 at 02:07 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Capture One is a viable alternative to LR with, in some respects, better editing functionality. It isn't a Photoshop replacement though.

May 07, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternative software to Photoshop

http://www.gimpshop.com/

May 07, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Danny Michael wrote:
http://www.gimpshop.com/

Gimpshop makes the Gimp look like photoshop yes but it doesn't remove the basic restrictions.
Forexample Gimp doesn't have CMYK at all so it makes it completely useless for any print work.

There are some Gimp plugins and external software which convert images from RGB to CMYK but they are not even close to reliable.

May 07, 2013 at 03:02 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Photoshop in its current configuration still works better than everything else out there. Why look for alternatives now, unless someone delivers a product with a compelling feature then I see no reason to panic now.

May 07, 2013 at 04:07 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Hi Sami,

Yeah, lots of folks are asking this question this morning...thankfully there are lots of software tools at our disposal!

FWIW, I almost didn't upgrade from CS2 for PPC when I purchased my 2011 i7 iMac, had it not been for Apple's similar blunder in "EOL"ing Final Cut Pro 7 there wouldn't have been available the incredible savings from Adobe to switch over to their CS5.5 Production Premium Suite which, just so happened, to include PS 12.1! I had already populated the new iMac with Aperture 3 along with the NIK software suite and Topaz plugins and was prepared to make a break from Adobe once and for all. The only reason I continue with it today is because of, A, the great bargain price I paid and, B, familiarity...I've been using the PS tool set since version 3.0.5.

Other stand-alone software that I've experimented/used on the Apple platform over the years that I think will need revisiting were...

[B]Pixelmator:
http://www.pixelmator.com/

...which I experimented with back when it was a 0.x shareware program...it didn't support beyond 8-bit at the time, if I recall correctly, but it's looking a bit more grown-up now, full OSX RAW support though it still lacks 16-bit PSD support. Probably good for the JPG crowd?

Another one was this...

Lemke Software - GraphicConverter Key Features
http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphic-converter/key-features/

...which supports PSD files up to 24-bit per channel. Which is funny as PSD files come in 1-, 8-, 16- and 32-bit flavors. The software has been in development for many years and has been able to open up pretty much anything I've thrown at it. The interface and preference settings are daunting on this beast with more switches, dials and levers than I care to explore!

And another one which came to my attention is...

PhotoLine: Image Processing:
http://www.pl32.com/index.php

...which I have not yet tried, though I've just downloaded the trial version. Seems to have full 32-bit PSD and HDR EXR support and the interface Toolbox looks vaguely familiar.

Anyhoo, there is no great rush needed here, I tend to run my systems for at least five years before even considering an upgrade...so we'll see what the software landscape looks like come 2017. It should be quite the platform I will be able to build with the money I didn't give to Adobe's "forced-lease" subscriptions...ahahahah! Plenty of time for the industry to see where it's at in the post-cloud-pioneering era.

Life goes on.

May 07, 2013 at 04:31 PM
cdecoro

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alternative software to Photoshop

vsg28 wrote:
True alternative imo are Gimp, Matlab and Corel Paintshop Pro.

How is Matlab an alternative to Photoshop? It's an interactive matrix-based programming language. Are you thinking of something else?

May 07, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Photoshop is the best there is right now. Anything else is a step down, but there are still some good options. Frankly, Photoshop Elements is pretty darn good. I know you may not want to support Adobe at all, but it's a very good editor with about 95% of the important tools from Photoshop. I don't see this ever going subscription based, since it targets consumers, not professionals.

GIMP is decent and pretty powerful. It has all the core functionality of Photoshop, but is a bit harder to use. Luckily, version 2.8 is pretty good and has a new single-window interface that is closer to other editors and gets rid of the standard floating window look that I hate. It doesn't have any of the fancy Photoshop features like content-aware anything or adaptive wide angle or the like.

As for Lightroom...I'm going to stick with it as long as they offer it standalone, though Capture One is very good (and I also own that). In some cases, it produces better results than Lightroom, and for other cases it's not quite as nice...depends on the image. Still, great program, even if the photo management is a little clunky.

For me, I'm going to stick with CS6 until something better outside of Adobe comes along. It's really got most everything I need.

May 07, 2013 at 07:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mshi
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Haven't used LR since my switch to C1. I have tried GIMP 2.8 and in certain ways it's better than CS6. C1 + GIMP can work out nicely for me since I don't use any 3rd-party PS plugins.

May 07, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Might check RawTherapee.com

May 07, 2013 at 08:06 PM
wsheldon
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alternative software to Photoshop

cdecoro wrote:
How is Matlab an alternative to Photoshop? It's an interactive matrix-based programming language. Are you thinking of something else?

I was thinking the same thing. That would really be "going commando" (and I'm a MATLAB jock at work)

The Corel Photopaint package in CorelDraw X6 is pretty powerful, but still no match for PS. I'll definitely be milking PS CS6 for the foreseeable future myself.

May 07, 2013 at 08:10 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Well, I was talking about the Image Processing Toolbox in Matlab but yes- limited functionality and harder to use

May 07, 2013 at 08:21 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Here is a really powerful free software called ImageJ. Your tax dollars at work:

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

May 07, 2013 at 08:31 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Alternative software to Photoshop

On a Mac ...

I find with Aperture v3.4 that I do not require Photoshop anymore.
-- RAW conversions are better with Aperture
-- it has all the tools I need when processing RAW files

Pixelmator need to take this opportunity and add 48 bit file support.

GIMP is another option

May 07, 2013 at 08:59 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Alternative software to Photoshop

I have CS6 Master Suite and CS5 Master Suite (CS5.5 upgrades) on my computers. Even if I had to go back to using CS5, it wouldn't be a very big deal. CS6 seems solid and should be good for the foreseeable future. I think the best option to Photoshop CC would be to just go with Photoshop CS6. This has be a viable option for the next couple of years. Eventually, alternatives may be more attractive ... but, it seems a little early to move to alternatives.

This move by Adobe may embolden developers and with a little time options may appear. Adding layers/masks/filters to LR or another product like Capture One could greatly reduce the reliance on Photoshop in the future. Software suppliers like OnOne or NIK may attempt to fill the gap with plug-ins in LR. Who knows, maybe this move will liberate us from Photoshop and move us to an easier to use set of tools in the long run.

May 07, 2013 at 09:35 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Why are you looking for a replacement for Lightroom? It is not in the change to subscription.

May 07, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Alternative software to Photoshop

mshi wrote:
Here is a really powerful free software called ImageJ. Your tax dollars at work:

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

aka Fiji

May 07, 2013 at 10:18 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Alternative software to Photoshop

Photoshop CS6 is gonna be a lot better than all the competitors for a good while yet IMO. Sadly the same is true of Illustrator and InDesign CS6. Perhaps this new move by Adobe will finally encourage competitors to step up their game, though I suspect it'll be a few years before they do.

I actually wonder if this will herald a move away from 800lb Gorilla do-everything programs like Photoshop towards a plugin model of creative software like LR. Photoshop has become so big and powerful that I suspect most users really need only 10% of its capabilities despite what they might believe.

May 07, 2013 at 11:09 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password