Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

John Mills
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

One month after buying a 2nd hand 1Ds Mark II, all I can say is how much better the images look than my 5D Mark II one's. They have a naturalness and film-like quality about them that the 5D Mk II just cannot match. Oh and did I mention how good the AF is. I like this camera better than the 5, although it's menu system really is awful and clunky compared to the 5's and I do not even bother looking at the tiny LCD (but maybe this is a good thing!).

May 07, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Not news to me. Decided to sell the 5D2 & keep the 1Ds2 long ago & still rely on the 1Ds2.

May 07, 2013 at 03:08 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Ahah yes, still use exclusively mine, waiting for next big megapixel EOS ... (or D800E if they wait too long !)
Sure its tiny lcd, awkward menus and no liveview become old, but the photgraphic part (viewfinder, AF, IQ etc) is still first class.

May 07, 2013 at 08:26 AM
rcheliphotog
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Agreed. And after years of using it I've even grown to appreciate its menu system. I'm way faster adjusting settings I actually NEED than on my 1d III

May 07, 2013 at 08:30 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Yes, the big viewfinder is like sitting at the cinema, I also love how the viewfinder blackout is really short, so when you are shooting action you know exactly when you got the shot. Whereas on the 5D MK II, I was always unsure of when it took it. I do not really mind that the camera does not have LV as I virtually never use it anyway. It reminds me of when I used a T90.

May 07, 2013 at 08:51 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Yeah the interface of the IDs II now seems deplorable and oh my god that pathetic little lcd, but AF and IQ are wonderful. We have 5 1Ds II's just gathering dust in cupboards at work; can't sell them, no one wants to use them and batteries are dead on a few of them.

May 07, 2013 at 10:04 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

The 5D2 was never a viable option for me. AF and metering on the 1Ds2 are far superior. The 5D3's low light performance is tempting, and it addressed a lot of the problems with the 5D2's AF. And, the 1Dx is better than the 1Ds2 in a lot of ways.

I'll eventually replace my 1Ds2's, but so far, it has made more sense for me to spend my "annual upgrade budget" on new longer/wider/sharper/faster glass rather than on new bodies.

Al

May 07, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yeah the interface of the IDs II now seems deplorable and oh my god that pathetic little lcd, but AF and IQ are wonderful. We have 5 1Ds II's just gathering dust in cupboards at work; can't sell them, no one wants to use them and batteries are dead on a few of them.

Pixel my friend I'd happily offer 1 of those poor unloved bodies a home . I'd even pay its air fair over here

May 07, 2013 at 10:35 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

People complain about the tiny LCD. If I recall, for many many decades there were no LCDs at all and some of the most iconic photos of all time were produced. My only complaint about them is the size of that battery. Those little 5D batteries spoil me.

May 07, 2013 at 10:57 AM
mohoyt

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Pixel my friend I'd happily offer 1 of those poor unloved bodies a home . I'd even pay its air fair over here

Same here—I'd love a solid backup body for my 5D3

May 07, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

Sign me up also...

May 07, 2013 at 11:39 AM
wgman02

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Good Morn I sent you a pm on the Canon 1ds MarkII

May 07, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

So it looks like we may have started the
'FM unused camera rehoming service '

May 07, 2013 at 12:31 PM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

I have a nice home PP and I am not that far away. I think that covers all 5 bodies for you.

May 07, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

I prefer the 5D2 over the 1Ds2. Sold the 1Ds2 last month. I prefer the 1Ds3 to either of them, and I prefer the 5D3 to the 1Ds3 (don't own 5D3, but used a CPS loaner). For me, it's all about the details and features.

May 07, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

John Power wrote:
People complain about the tiny LCD. If I recall, for many many decades there were no LCDs at all and some of the most iconic photos of all time were produced. My only complaint about them is the size of that battery. Those little 5D batteries spoil me.

When I were young we had to make do with a packet of crayons - none of this fancy smancy cameras.

May 07, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

John Mills wrote:
I have a nice home PP and I am not that far away. I think that covers all 5 bodies for you.

I really did mean we are not allowed to sell these cameras - so to me it seems they will just rot away in the cupboards. I charged one up the other day to see if it would work, and it took me quite while to remember how to use the dam menu again - wow that's a bad interface.

May 07, 2013 at 10:43 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Cicopo wrote:
Not news to me. Decided to sell the 5D2 & keep the 1Ds2 long ago & still rely on the 1Ds2.

+1, non-toxic rabbit images: Cut and paste to your browser

1) http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&ei=OOJkUfa9MePHiwL58oCgAw&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3D1ds2%2Bvs%2B1DX%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D926&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-TW&u=http://www.ldsclub.net/forum/viewthread.php%3Ftid%3D47138&usg=ALkJrhgZOaiov5mIoFW3otecTbINClx0HA

2) http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&ei=OOJkUfa9MePHiwL58oCgAw&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3D1ds2%2Bvs%2B1DX%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D926&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-TW&u=http://www.ldsclub.net/forum/viewthread.php%3Ftid%3D41711%26extra%3D%26page%3D1&usg=ALkJrhjKoHU-YIsLeeXgz_luMPGAhBADig

May 08, 2013 at 03:47 AM
canon gangsta

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

The same can be said about the 5D classic, which was released a year after the 1DsII. Canon at that time, did something magical with their sensors. I don't get the same rendering from the 5D3. I want the same film-like quality from the original 5D mixed with the new modern features and ergonomics of the mark III.

May 08, 2013 at 10:12 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I like my 1Ds Mark II more than my 5D Mark II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
not

?

May 08, 2013 at 10:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end