Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Skateboader

beavens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skateboader

Hi everyone -

Not really sure which is the best route for this shot in terms of cropping. Also, if you have any suggestions for post I'll be all-ears.

Thanks!!

Uncropped

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens    138mm    f/8.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Square seemed nice with the lines, but felt

Slightly more vertical.

May 06, 2013 at 11:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skateboader

I normally really dig lines ... but this one has the lines presenting some challenges at distracting your subject / message a bit, so hopefully the reduction of lines on the right side helps a bit with that.

Here's a crop along with some skew to straighten things a touch and some sharpening (a little too aggressive @ artifacts). I didn't do anything very "creative" ... maybe something iterative will develop.

May 07, 2013 at 12:47 AM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skateboader

Kent - I was kinda in the same boat with the skateboarder being overwhelmed with the lines going every which way.

Too bad about losing the right-hand framing with the beams, but I like how you put the skater more prominently in the shot and straightened based on the left-hand beams and lights.

Thanks for the feedback!

May 07, 2013 at 11:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skateboader

I get what you mean about loss of the right hand beams ... but, as a framing element, the point of having a framing element is to help drive your viewer's eye toward your subject/area of interest. In this instance the lighter tonal values of the right hand side and the extra details compete with your subject and pull us away from his area. Also, the yellow stripe provides a leading line that leads us past our subject, rather than toward him.

Even though we "lost" the right hand beams, their shadows still give us some of that rhythm/symmetry, and in their case, lead us toward your subject over on the left side (unlike the yellow stripe). In that regard, the "loss" of framing doesn't hurt too much, imo.

Edited on May 07, 2013 at 12:55 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skateboader

No, you're absolutely right - the image is better once you get rid of the distractions from the right.

Gracias, bud!

Jeff

May 07, 2013 at 12:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skateboader

De nada.

May 07, 2013 at 12:55 PM
ktan7

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Skateboader

Nice lighting

May 18, 2013 at 05:26 PM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Skateboader

ktan7 wrote:
Nice lighting

Thanks! I'll update with a 'finished' image later today.

May 23, 2013 at 01:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password