New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What was I thinking.

okafoja
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What was I thinking.

I covered a wedding this past weekend and during formal I only used my 70-200VRII. I would normally mix it up with my Sigma 35/1.4 and 50/1.8G.

The major screw up was that the VR was turned off on the lens. I did not know this until I got home and noticed a lot of hand shake. I immediately inspected the lens and found out that the VR was switched to off position. I was so mad with myself. Not a single picture was taken with my trusted Sigma 35mm. What was I thinking.

Fortunately for me I took few with my D7100.

D800
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/okafoja/Round4/DSC_4571-2_zpsf3ad819d.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/okafoja/Round4/DSC_4548_zpse24bb338.jpg

D7100
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/okafoja/Round4/DSC_D7100_zpsd490ce38.jpg

May 06, 2013 at 05:12 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What was I thinking.

I use Gaffers tape over those switches to prevent changes on the run.

May 06, 2013 at 05:33 PM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What was I thinking.

I am still amazed (shouldn't be, I know) at the D800's ability to do the 100% zoom with one click on the center button, then alternate between front and back wheels to center on faces while scrolling thru images, all without losing the 100% view. And how it picks out faces even in part profile while doing this. Makes it fast and dead simple to see if you've got critical focus and everything else working right.

Sorry for your misstep here, but I'd take the gaffing tape advice and also do a bit more chimping while shooting

May 06, 2013 at 05:44 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What was I thinking.

It happens. After a while you learn to either check occasionally, or use tape.

My problem with tape is I get obsessed with the possibility that one or more switches was accidentally taped down in the wrong position.

May 06, 2013 at 06:20 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What was I thinking.

I never thought about the tape. It sounds like a good idea. I swear I checked everything night before. Not sure what happened.

May 06, 2013 at 06:40 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What was I thinking.

Check lists are invaluable. Setting for every piece of equipment, including every lens, should be on the list and then tape down those that you will never change, such as VR on.

Feel your pain, all our advice doesn't help much, but, maybe next time they will prevent another disaster.

Good luck talking to the newlyweds, that has to be the hardest part of this story.

May 06, 2013 at 06:42 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What was I thinking.

The absent clunking of the VR activating should have alerted you.

May 06, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What was I thinking.

What were you're shutter speeds with the 70-200?

May 06, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Jammyn
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What was I thinking.

I have gotten burnt for forgetting to reset my ISO, and have had a couple experiences with my 70-200f2.8 VRII switching off, seemingly on its own. I check my images a lot during a shoot, so I usually find the culprit for my slightly blurry images. Coincidentally, my 70-200 is my only VR lens that exhibits this odd problem.

May 06, 2013 at 07:23 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What was I thinking.

Mataz426 wrote:
What were you're shutter speeds with the 70-200?

My shutter speed was very reasonable. Between 160 to over 250 but my hand shakes like crazy. At the same time I keep wondering if something else went wrong since my shutter was high.

May 06, 2013 at 08:02 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What was I thinking.

James R wrote:
Check lists are invaluable. Setting for every piece of equipment, including every lens, should be on the list and then tape down those that you will never change, such as VR on.

Feel your pain, all our advice doesn't help much, but, maybe next time they will prevent another disaster.

Good luck talking to the newlyweds, that has to be the hardest part of this story.

Honestly having to explain this to the couple has been giving me headache. This African wedding. We like our images blown up like crazy. 11X14 is probably the best I can get away with from untrained eyes and that's not going to fly with them.

My plan is not to show them a lot of the pictures.

May 06, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What was I thinking.

okafoja wrote:
My shutter speed was very reasonable. Between 160 to over 250 but my hand shakes like crazy. At the same time I keep wondering if something else went wrong since my shutter was high.

Oh OK. I'm no expert but maybe setup auto iso and tell the camera not to dip below whatever sp you think should be the minimum. Glad you got some usable shots though.

okafoja, one time I had my lens set to MA instead of AM, which gives manual focus priority, and if you touch the focus ring at all, maybe that was it?

May 06, 2013 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.