Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

AHPZuazua
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Thanks Ken. I will keep looking

May 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Just got some prints back. Printed by Calumet. Very Nice. The depth of field on Medium Format is just breath taking. Since I'm new to the Format, I didn't want to use it on this weekends Maternity Shoot as my Main camera but will start using it more often. Just might make the jump.
Heres a sample

May 26, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Luta13
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

You can get high megapixel images suitable for enlarging by stitching multiple images. I use a tilt-shift lens but I dont see why you couldnt use what you have if you buy a nodal rail to prevent parallax for in-close subjects and maybe a panoramic head to make life easy. This route would be better for landscapes than portrait work. But it can and is used by some of the best photogs. Learn how to stitch well and you can create 100MP files and use your current gear.
Here is a guy that uses stitching to do wedding photos: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/04/ryan-brenizers-panoramic-portraiture.html

May 27, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Doing brenizer or shooting MF is a lot different. I would prefer MFDB, cause you can get what you need in one shot, no stitching needed (but possible even with it .

Main factor for portraits with MFDB should be real sensor size, not mpix. Bigger is simply better.

Its expensive, but lens are quite cheap, if you manage to bolt that MFDB to some camera that allows good manual focus. Hasselblad H1 is decent choice for this.. (and it can take film backs too .

May 27, 2013 at 04:55 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

I didn't know tgat Digital Backs are also Cropped likeba CMOS sensor. Can someone explain

May 27, 2013 at 05:08 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

When you think of "crop" you also need to consider in terms of what format. In other words, when thinking of a crop with a MFDB, we're thinking in terms of a 645 sensor---not a 35mm DSLR sized sensor. So even with a "cropped MFDB sensor" it's still a relatively large piece of real estate.

Current generation MFDBs are full-frame Dalsa CCD sensors, used in the P65+, IQ160/180, and IQ260/280. Other backs may have a slight crop, such as P45+ is a 1.1 and P30+ is a 1.3 crop on a 645 sized sensor or format. It is helpful to consider format "crop" when considering your camera platform and lenses (field of view).

ken

May 27, 2013 at 05:39 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Ok. So a P30+ from back in the days is a crop. Dors it work the same. 1.1 crop timrs the focal length then divide because its MF to get the equivalent of 35mm lol

May 27, 2013 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Just figure out the crop against the medium format lens you are using. We need to get you away from thinking in 35mm-terms!

It's really not much of an issue, unless you're using an RZ and need wide-angles...

May 27, 2013 at 06:14 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Is thre a beginner guide to amedium format. I like the 150mm F4 the minimum focus distance is a respectable 6ft at F4 in the image above. Works for me. Colors are great.
[Frame]
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7438/8837210414_0c396a2fa4_m.jpg

May 27, 2013 at 06:18 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

I'm not aware of any "beginners guide" to medium format digital. Changes come so quickly that I think any sort of guide would quickly become dated.

If you're looking towards Mamiya (and the 150mm focal length), you might want to consider a more up to date body, and that means considering at the low end the Mamiya 150mm AF f/3.5 (for Phase/Mamiya 645AF/AFD) or better yet, the Phase 150mm F/2.8 D series, one of the best lenses around and with a minimum focusing distance of about three feet.

May 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

See if you can rent a Pentax 645D and see if you like it. Pentax makes some very good lenses and cameras for the price.

May 28, 2013 at 08:45 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Only Local that rents is Calumet Photo here in Ft.Lauderdale and I would have to check the rental stuff.
Thanks

May 28, 2013 at 08:53 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

It took some time but I finally did it, especially without having to Sell off all my Canon gear. I just Upgraded the Body.... Selling off the Mamiya 645 1000s. I will shoot some more pics from the Solid 645 and then the rest with the update... arrives Monday

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password