FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Ants with the Medical-Nikkor

niXer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ants with the Medical-Nikkor

Now that we're finally getting some sort of warm weather I decided forget work for an hour or two and take my Nikon Medical-Nikkor.C AUTO 200mm f/5.6 out for some field work.

I have the LD-1 DC Power unit which allows me to use the built in ring flash untethered from a power outlet. Of course with the help of 8 D batteries which normally would be heavy but I have AA to D adapters that lets me use my Eneloops.

Using this lens is hard since ants move and there is no focus ring what so ever, so I have to constantly move. However I figured I'd use the good old trick of focusing on one spot and then snapping the picture when they stepped into it.

Here are the best:

#3 - Put a dime next to them so you can see scale and because it made them pause to inspect

#5 - Accidentally moved the ratio ring so it imprinted the 3x (3:1 life-size reproduction ratio) on the image.

May 06, 2013 at 03:58 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ants with the Medical-Nikkor

Good series.
It's a fixed focus lens ?
Brian v.

May 07, 2013 at 12:56 AM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ants with the Medical-Nikkor

LordV wrote:
Good series.
It's a fixed focus lens ?
Brian v.

Nothing compared to your stuff.

Yes it is fixed focus.

The shots above are all at 3:1 which means I have to attach the 1x & 2x auxiliary lenses and be exactly 2.83in from the subject. If I wanted to do 2:1 I'd have to attach the 2x auxiliary lens and be 4.25in from the subject.

It's almost like the MP-E except there is no zoom, instead there are 6 auxiliary lenses (diopters) and a built in ring flash. It's very challenging on moving subjects. This lens was originally for dental work.

Also my shutter speed MUST be at 1/250 (Flash Sync) and my ISO MUST be at 100 ISO in order for the built in ring flash to properly expose the image for 3:1. This is all calculated on the lens which also sets my aperture to f/45 for that combination.

On another note I realize my sensor needs a cleaning but the D3 is a dust magnet and at f/45 and being that close to the dirt, it's going to be dirty.

May 07, 2013 at 01:41 AM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ants with the Medical-Nikkor

nicely done

May 07, 2013 at 10:33 AM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ants with the Medical-Nikkor

michael kilner wrote:
nicely done

Thanks

May 13, 2013 at 01:46 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.