Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              28       29       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe kills standalone software

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Adobe kills standalone software

Alright, I will send you my PayPal account per PM then, okay?

May 07, 2013 at 08:39 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.4 #2 · Adobe kills standalone software

Wow...over 1000 posts ripping Adobe over at DPR. That's quite a sh!t storm, even for DPR.

Well done Adobe. Well done.

May 07, 2013 at 08:48 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · Adobe kills standalone software

Few companies know how to piss off customers as well as Adobe.

On a different note, it is 11 O'Clock, so it must be time to install the latest Flash security update.

May 07, 2013 at 08:53 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.4 #4 · Adobe kills standalone software

Some of the photographers who have been converting all their CR2 and NEF files to Adobes DNG-format might think that it maybe wasn't that smart move after all.

May 07, 2013 at 10:44 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.4 #5 · Adobe kills standalone software

Well I'm sure some clever hacker will put a stop to the monthly checking, but I for one will stick with what I have got. I don't want to buy into the Cloud

If I go away for a month to somewhere remote I might not have the internet so they can go whistle!

May 07, 2013 at 10:53 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · Adobe kills standalone software

JohnJ wrote:
Capture One does most of the stuff that I used to do in Photoshop.

I'll probably be looking into Capture 1. I'm glad I didn't get invested in LightRoom, just PS...

May 07, 2013 at 11:01 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.4 #7 · Adobe kills standalone software

carstenw wrote:
Few companies know how to piss off customers as well as Adobe.

On a different note, it is 11 O'Clock, so it must be time to install the latest Flash security update.

Brutal!

May 07, 2013 at 11:16 AM
penpro
• • •
p.4 #8 · Adobe kills standalone software

This is the very reason that software is starting to go this way. The next step is to have the software only installed on a server and never be on your desktop. This way you never receive the software and it is far easier for them to stop hackers. What would eventually happen in this case is as you process a file it would be uploaded to the server for processing and then sent back down to you. Speed for this isn't there yet so it isn't happening any time soon. Software piracy is one of the biggest issues for companies trying to make a buck.

May 07, 2013 at 12:08 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · Adobe kills standalone software

The closest parallel I can think of is the old fairy tale with the goose and the golden eggs. Adobe is killing this goose. IF Photoshop was a cow, Adobe would be installing a turbo milker on it, regardless of what it does to the cow's health.

May 07, 2013 at 12:28 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.4 #10 · Adobe kills standalone software

penpro wrote:
This is the very reason that software is starting to go this way. The next step is to have the software only installed on a server and never be on your desktop. This way you never receive the software and it is far easier for them to stop hackers. What would eventually happen in this case is as you process a file it would be uploaded to the server for processing and then sent back down to you. Speed for this isn't there yet so it isn't happening any time soon. Software piracy is one of the biggest issues for
...Show more

Adobe makes billions. They are not hurting for money.

May 07, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dovey
• •
p.4 #11 · Adobe kills standalone software

Well, Google's purchase of Nik now makes sense. Google has the resources to make Nik a stand alone product and suddenly Adobe no longer has any hold over the majority of Lightroom and PS users who are photographers.
I can't wait for Google to release the next version.

May 07, 2013 at 12:51 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · Adobe kills standalone software

dovey wrote:
Well, Google's purchase of Nik now makes sense. Google has the resources to make Nik a stand alone product and suddenly Adobe no longer has any hold over the majority of Lightroom and PS users who are photographers.

Nik plugins integrated with Picasa, along with a UI skin which isn't baby steps, and I'd look strongly at Picasa as a solution. Another possibility is bringing full RAW support to Nik's RAW converter, CaptureNX (which they produce for Nikon, a generic version would be interesting)

Even better would be partnering with PhaseOne to get Nik plugins working in C1 Pro. As good as C1 Pro is, it cannot match SEP for B&W.

May 07, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.4 #13 · Adobe kills standalone software

Adobe has been dropping the ball for a while. Their customer service is far from what it used to be and now the come with this shit ball. I have had enough from them.

Does anybody know of any other software that does layers efficiently?

May 07, 2013 at 01:17 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.4 #14 · Adobe kills standalone software

This really sux, as I pay for my versions of CSx.
It sux, because I have too many plugins just for CS6 which I like to use.
I have Lightroom, Capture 1 Pro, and many other things.
I just seem to always like CS6 as that is what I have learned to use.
So, I call this extortion.
Sigh, I guess I will unfortunately learn to adapt to other products.
I cannot think of using ANY stupid cloud non-sense, of any app, from anyone.
I don't like the idea, and will never do so.

May 07, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · Adobe kills standalone software

dovey wrote:

I was thinking about that as well. There will be competitive players who up their game and fill the void created by this Adobe move.

I don't think Adobe has fully thought this through. For some, it's not even about the money at all but rather the whole idea/ psychology that an essential piece of critical software could stop working (for whatever reason...hackers, glitches, server issues - just look at the problems some already encounter with Adobe activations). All of a sudden, the end user is not only held hostage to the monthly fee but also to Adobe's potential incompetence AND the possibility of external hackers screwing the system up. No way would I feel comfortable trusting critical projects to that possibility, no matter how remote. I don't think it's a position I would feel comfortable placing myself in with a client either (Oh, sorry, Adobe was hacked and I could not finish your project because I'm getting a notice my subscription is inactive!). No thanks!

May 07, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.4 #16 · Adobe kills standalone software

Javier Munoz wrote:
Adobe has been dropping the ball for a while. Their customer service is far from what it used to be and now the come with this shit ball. I have had enough from them.

Does anybody know of any other software that does layers efficiently?

I've been looking for an alternative for Photoshop for years. Sadly currently only real alternative is Pixelmator, but it's mac only. It opens photoshop files directly and support layers. Its only 15$ so it's cheap to try out.

I tried also Gimp briefly but it doesn't support CMYK so it was not useful for me.

May 07, 2013 at 01:25 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.4 #17 · Adobe kills standalone software

is pixelmator good? i'd thought about trying that out

May 07, 2013 at 01:26 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.4 #18 · Adobe kills standalone software

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
I've been looking for an alternative for Photoshop for years. Sadly currently only real alternative is Pixelmator, but it's mac only. It opens photoshop files directly and support layers. Its only 15$ so it's cheap to try out.

I tried also Gimp briefly but it doesn't support CMYK so it was not useful for me.

Thanks Sami. I am not a mac user but I will see if I can run it in virtual box.

I also think that Fiji has plugins to run layers but I have never bothered to look onto that. I think they dont do CMYK but there are scripts to transform RGB to CMYK. Seems as if it is time to undust my lazy (and barely existent) computer skills

May 07, 2013 at 01:35 PM
merosen

p.4 #19 · Adobe kills standalone software

goosemang wrote:
is pixelmator good? i'd thought about trying that out

You can download a 30 day demo
Looks promising and it dies layers
Looks like competition for Elements as well
Great price at Apple Store, $15

May 07, 2013 at 01:39 PM
merosen

p.4 #20 · Adobe kills standalone software

Glad i'm using Aperture.
Looking at third party and free software alternatives (Pixelmator on the top of the list)
Problem with Capture One is if you have an investment in Nik or other 3rd party plugins,
They won't work.

May 07, 2013 at 01:59 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password