Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              26      
       28       29       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe kills standalone software

phuang3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.27 #1 · p.27 #1 · Adobe kills standalone software

Sounds like Adobe is going to have financial problem to me.

May 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.27 #2 · p.27 #2 · Adobe kills standalone software

"particularly photo-enthusiasts' as opposed to......Professional photographers...............

May 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.27 #3 · p.27 #3 · Adobe kills standalone software

"For photographers, we are looking at potential offerings that recognize the photography community – because it is so broad – has some unique needs."

This says to me that Adobe will continue to offer a non CC version of Photoshop beyond CS6 which is much more capable than Lightroom.

May 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.27 #4 · p.27 #4 · Adobe kills standalone software

Tariq Gibran wrote:
"For photographers, we are looking at potential offerings that recognize the photography community – because it is so broad – has some unique needs."

This says to me that Adobe will continue to offer a non CC version of Photoshop beyond CS6 which is much more capable than Lightroom.

If true, that makes me .

May 29, 2013 at 02:46 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.27 #5 · p.27 #5 · Adobe kills standalone software

"Sounds like Adobe is going to have financial problem to me."

Adobe is totally underestimating the photography communities distain for what they are doing, similar to the way the British underestimated the importance of the Boston tea party. If they were not just concerned about the almighty dollar, they might be able to think clearer about this subject. Let's assume that they priced their cc product at $400 a year with a fee for upgrades that were optional based on the quality of those upgrades. They would never have to worry about pirating again and would probably bring in thousands and thousands of new customers. Almost all my small to medium-size clients who use Photoshop are not going to upgrade to cc, but are just buying CS6 and hoping for a competing product's success.

Edited on May 29, 2013 at 09:43 PM · View previous versions

May 29, 2013 at 09:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.27 #6 · p.27 #6 · Adobe kills standalone software

dennishh wrote:
Adobe is totally underestimating the photography communities distain for what they are doing, similar to the way the British underestimated the importance of the Boston tea party...

May 29, 2013 at 09:43 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.27 #7 · p.27 #7 · Adobe kills standalone software

Ctein and friends discuss the idea of abandoning PSD as an archive friendly format, especially layered files. Interesting read for some:

PSD and Permanence

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2013/05/psds-and-permanence.html

May 31, 2013 at 04:18 AM
H.Lux
• •
p.27 #8 · p.27 #8 · Adobe kills standalone software

They must sell a lot of CS6 versions. DVD packages are going out of stock. Initially I had planned to buy CS7 or so, now I own a copy of both CS5 and CS6 (edu versions) and hope that CS6 will serve for a long time.

May 31, 2013 at 04:26 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.27 #9 · p.27 #9 · Adobe kills standalone software

Let's see what Adobe's 2nd quarter results are, tomorrow.

Jun 18, 2013 at 05:45 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.27 #10 · p.27 #10 · Adobe kills standalone software

sirimiri wrote:

Those won't be particularly telling since it's been only a month since the announcement. It's the 3rd quarter results that will tell the true tale.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tsdevine
• • •
p.27 #11 · p.27 #11 · Adobe kills standalone software

All the people buying the CS6 upgrade (worrying it might disappear), might actually give them a boost. (I bought it...)

-Tim

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:24 PM
B Landau
• •
p.27 #12 · p.27 #12 · Adobe kills standalone software

I got a survey request from Adobe Research a couple of weeks ago about the following:

"Adobe is currently conducting a study to understand your opinion of a release of our creative software applications. The survey should take about 10 to 12 minutes to complete, depending on your experience."

At least they are trying to guage the pulse of their customer base as to whether the CC subscription model meets their needs or not.

My answers to the survey reflected the general sentiment on this forum of no longer being a happy camper!

Jun 18, 2013 at 07:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.27 #13 · p.27 #13 · Adobe kills standalone software

sirimiri wrote:

mawz wrote:
Those won't be particularly telling since it's been only a month since the announcement. It's the 3rd quarter results that will tell the true tale.

I expect a comparison of 2013 results between first-half and second-half would be the most reliable indicator of how well the new path is being accepted.

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:21 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.27 #14 · p.27 #14 · Adobe kills standalone software

"Customers are responding to the attraction of the Creative Cloud offering and the convenience of subscriptions, which is reflecting in the results and stock movement", B. Riley & Co analyst Daniel Cummins said.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.27 #15 · p.27 #15 · Adobe kills standalone software

This statement only shows that the analyst doesn't have a clue what he's talking about! What these numbers really show is a massive number of photographers buying CS6 standalone version at the end of the year and the release of lightroom 5 just before they announced their numbers. The telling number will be the next quarter.

Jun 19, 2013 at 09:07 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.27 #16 · p.27 #16 · Adobe kills standalone software

Someone will come out with a better app for $3.99 and put it on the app store.

Adobe products will be as common as a flip phone.

Their senior management completely misread the titanic shift occurring in the applications market then they shot themselves in the torso.

Jun 19, 2013 at 09:14 PM
asbalyan
• •
p.27 #17 · p.27 #17 · Adobe kills standalone software

Thats really interesting... so much for real reason...

"....The torrent is titled “Adobe Photoshop CC ..........” and was uploaded by someone named Ching Liu. According to comments left by some ******* users, the software appears to be the real deal.

Upon installation of the desktop software, Adobe requires the end user’s computer to be connected to the Internet to verify the Creative Cloud subscription status. That would suggest that software pirates have found a means to bypass this authorization (not a huge surprise, if true)....."

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/19/adobe-photoshop-cc-has-apparently-been-cracked-one-day-after-launch/

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:28 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.27 #18 · p.27 #18 · Adobe kills standalone software

Cancellation policy: "We'd hate to see you go, but if you cancel within the first 30 days, we'll give you a full refund. Otherwise, you'll be billed 50% of your remaining contract obligation."

Ok, not only I lose access to the software, but I will be billed 50% of the remaining contract obligation. Hmm.

Jun 22, 2013 at 04:41 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.27 #19 · p.27 #19 · Adobe kills standalone software

Finances look OK for now. Hard to assess how much a large company is affected by some unhappy user segment. They may even feel bad about it but feel like it had to be done to satisfy the investors who count on them. They may even feel it is an act of charity toward the larger, more profitable commercial customers. Who knows? Big risk.

Adobe has good reason to worry more about the future than the present unhappiness. Cloud-based renewal rates after the first buy-in are the big unknown. A single subscription cycle in which the user sees a reduction in either product use or value which results in cancellation could permanently break any remaining chain of loyalty and re-signing the customer could prove to be very costly or impossible. It costs a lot to keep saying, "Come on back”! Ask the cable and satellite TV providers.

Jun 22, 2013 at 09:23 PM
flashinm
• •
p.27 #20 · p.27 #20 · Adobe kills standalone software

asbalyan wrote:
Thats really interesting... so much for real reason...

"....The torrent is titled “Adobe Photoshop CC ..........” and was uploaded by someone named Ching Liu. According to comments left by some ******* users, the software appears to be the real deal.

Upon installation of the desktop software, Adobe requires the end user’s computer to be connected to the Internet to verify the Creative Cloud subscription status. That would suggest that software pirates have found a means to bypass this authorization (not a huge surprise, if true)....."

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/19/adobe-photoshop-cc-has-apparently-been-cracked-one-day-after-launch/

Hilarious. Adobe completely changes it business model, leaving customers angry and in limbo all for the sake of reducing software piracy. It takes the software pirates ONE DAY to find a work around. Maybe Adobe should look at hiring this Ching Liu fellow.

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:06 AM
       28       29       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

28       29       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password