Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
       27       28       29       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe kills standalone software

chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Adobe kills standalone software

buggz2k wrote:
This is another over-seen area, often forgotten.
I do NOT have a business!
Nor do I want one.
I just want to purchase a license for use, that doesn't go away.
I dislike the current disabling/extortion scheme dis-"agreement".

Then you have a much simpler problem on your hands. You can devote the time and effort to switch to some other software(s) to process your images. Think about the busy photographer that still needs to deliver their work.

May 18, 2013 at 03:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Adobe kills standalone software

I'm probably good to go with CS6 until I need a new computer. OTOH, when it reaches that point, maybe I'll just devote my current computer to PS, and get another for future apps.

May 18, 2013 at 03:37 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Adobe kills standalone software

Corel is well-known for being Canadian.

chez wrote:
Don't understand what that has to do with anything.

sirimiri wrote:
Says the Canadian!

chez wrote:

Corel is a joke and its the closest out there.

May 18, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Adobe kills standalone software

Ho1972 wrote:
Define weird...

It's a display issue. Nearly every time I make a change, including checking and un-checking preview, the background color changes -- gray, to black, to transparent checkerboard, and sometimes it changes the appearance of (oversaturates) the image color (but not the underlying color information in the file). It's a display thing somewhere. With 16 gb of RAM and another gb of video RAM, I shouldn't be having display issues. It worked just fine under Win 7 64-bit. Maybe it's me, but even a clean re-install of WIN 8 along with clean re-install of CS6 and a new motherboard didn't help.

IIRC, Adobe wasn't even going to provide support for CS6 under WIN 8 when the new OS arrived. I don't know if that has since changed.

May 18, 2013 at 07:30 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Adobe kills standalone software

dennishh wrote:
Maybe it's time to pile all the software and digital cameras in the town square, set them on fire then go down in the basement and pull out the 4x5's and return to film. As photographers have we have given up to much to pursue the promise of digital? I am amazed when I take out an old 8x10 transparency and feel let down by digital promise, just like an original Ansel Adams print does. I long for the day when our efforts and knowledge in perusing the art of photography was fulfilled when we delivered a few sheets of
...Show more

This is a totally different topic than this thread, but I agree with you. I'm only a hobbyist, but I have put down my digital cameras and have gone back to film. My enjoyment of photography has shot up 10 fold.

May 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Adobe kills standalone software

Lotusm50 wrote:
It's a display issue. Nearly every time I make a change, including checking and un-checking preview, the background color changes -- gray, to black, to transparent checkerboard, and sometimes it changes the appearance of (oversaturates) the image color (but not the underlying color information in the file). It's a display thing somewhere. With 16 gb of RAM and another gb of video RAM, I shouldn't be having display issues. It worked just fine under Win 7 64-bit. Maybe it's me, but even a clean re-install of WIN 8 along with clean re-install of CS6 and a new motherboard didn't help.

IIRC,
...Show more

Coincidentally, I recently had a similar issue in the Mac environment but mine resulted in a hang/ crash. I'm pretty convinced it was caused by an incompatibility between CS6 and the video card I was using. I recently changed out the video card to a Geforce GTX 650 and have not experienced the issue again thus far.

When you changed the motherboard, did you use the same video card?

May 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Adobe kills standalone software

rattymouse wrote:
This is a totally different topic than this thread, but I agree with you. I'm only a hobbyist, but I have put down my digital cameras and have gone back to film. My enjoyment of photography has shot up 10 fold.

Interestingly I've done exactly the opposite, going from a film shooter who used Digital a bit to essentially digital-only over the last year and had the same increase in my enjoyment.

Sometimes a little change goes a long way.

Edited on May 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Adobe kills standalone software

I just buy a new lens

May 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Adobe kills standalone software

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Coincidentally, I recently had a similar issue in the Mac environment but mine resulted in a hang/ crash. I'm pretty convinced it was caused by an incompatibility between CS6 and the video card I was using. I recently changed out the video card to a Geforce GTX 650 and have not experienced the issue again thus far.

When you changed the motherboard, did you use the same video card?

Same video card. ATI (AMD) card, on an AMD chipset motherboard and processor (so there should be no compatibility issues between those 2 components). I have considered it might be the video card (as the possibilities narrowed), and will probably get around to replacing it. But the card and CS6 didn't seem to have issues under WIN 7. Outside of CS6 having an issue win WIN 8, the only other possibility is the video card.

May 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Adobe kills standalone software

Lotusm50 wrote:
Same video card. ATI (AMD) card, on an AMD chipset motherboard and processor (so there should be no compatibility issues between those 2 components). I have considered it might be the video card (as the possibilities narrowed), and will probably get around to replacing it. But the card and CS6 didn't seem to have issues under WIN 7. Outside of CS6 having an issue win WIN 8, the only other possibility is the video card.

You may be surprised about compatibility. On occasion I've had to use NVidia cards with AMD-based boards to get around compatibility problems with Radeon HD's, particularly with newer cards on older boards.

May 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Adobe kills standalone software

sirimiri wrote:

Adobe is well know to be American. Where does that put you?

May 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Adobe kills standalone software

Lotusm50 wrote:

You have probably seen this FAQ but Adobe makes special mention about making sure the drivers are updated for Windows 8 (I have noticed with Windows 8 upgrades that you can't reliably count on Windows to find/ load the newest driver from a manufacturer). They also post tested video cards although my previous problem card is on that list so who knows. My guess would be as you say though, the video card is likely the culprit.
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

May 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Adobe kills standalone software

Tariq Gibran wrote:
You have probably seen this FAQ but Adobe makes special mention about making sure the drivers are updated for Windows 8 (I have noticed with Windows 8 upgrades that you can't reliably count on Windows to find/ load the newest driver from a manufacturer). They also post tested video cards although my previous problem card is on that list so who knows. My guess would be as you say though, the video card is likely the culprit.
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

All the video drivers are the most current and my AMD/ATI Radeon series card is on their list. ;-(
Still outside of a bad WIN 8 - CS6 interaction, all that's left is the Video card.

May 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Adobe kills standalone software

Probably on your hidden list?

chez wrote:
Adobe is well know to be American. Where does that put you?

sirimiri wrote:

May 19, 2013 at 05:14 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Adobe kills standalone software

Eyeball wrote:
I still think you have over-stated the degree to which businesses have adopted the Adobe model. The implication of your post was that practically every business is doing this and Adobe is finally getting on board. That's just not the case.

I checked a few of the companies you referenced. At least Autodesk, Matlab, and Xilinx still offer perpetual licenses. Even Altera, which talks about its "subscription licenses" still explains the license like this:

When you purchase a Quartus II software license, the license file supports the version of the Quartus II software you purchase, all previous versions, and all versions released

That is NOT the Adobe model. With the Adobe CC, when you stop paying, you lose access to the software.

SAAS-like models have been around for a while and they have gained steam in the last few years with the likes of salesforce.com, Microsoft, SAP, Oracle, and Google but many companies are still buying perpetual license software. I would be very surprised if the IT industry as a whole had even surpassed the 50% mark in terms of SAAS vs. perpetual license. I'll have to look up some Gartner reports when I have time.

Even when big business considers using a SAAS model, it does so with caution and skepticism, much like has been expressed here on FM. Companies also negotiate those contracts aggressively because they know:
- a software company moving to that model may be on the ropes in one way or another
- the software company may have a pseudo-monopoly in the space and it will be expensive for them to pull out of the SAAS model once they're in
- the simple comparisons that the software company shows them regarding what they used to pay vs. the SAAS payments are BS
...Show more

+1

May 19, 2013 at 08:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Adobe kills standalone software

sirimiri wrote:
Says the Canadian!

What's your point, Greg? Says the Canadian.

May 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Adobe kills standalone software

Avro Canada, Ernst Leitz Canada, ATI, Nortel, RIM, Corel, Bombardier, Dalsa and of course Molson are (or were) all well-known Canadian companies, among others.

Corel being panned by Canadians, without "defence", seems telling.

May 20, 2013 at 01:56 AM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Adobe kills standalone software

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/our-move-to-creative-cloud-an-update/

Photographers, particularly photo-enthusiasts, are looking for a more tailored offering that focuses on their particular workflows.

For photographers, we are looking at potential offerings that recognize the photography community because it is so broad has some unique needs.

May 29, 2013 at 02:59 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Adobe kills standalone software

..as we gear up to ship this release of Creative Cloud in a few weeks...

Ship? They don't get it - they're publishing software by this point, to call it something else is disingenuous -or worse- fallacious. It's a subscription.

They keep using the pronoun "we" and I can't figure out if it's "we, Adobe" or "we, all of us".

we have no plans to change our focus on Creative Cloud.
Of course I'm cherry-picking this phrase, but I won't hold my breath to see what sort of "options open to us here" they will offer.

Clearly, a one-size-fits-all approach isn't appropriate.

May 29, 2013 at 03:29 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Adobe kills standalone software

What ship might that be, the Starship Enterprise, boldly going where no software company was dumb enough to go before?

'Photographers, particularly photo-enthusiasts' as opposed to 'photo-non-enthusiasts', lol. If they had another wit they would be halfwits. Enjoy the past, Adobe. CS6 = CSLast. At least it is good enough for years to come.

It is five times easier to keep a customer than it is to make a new customer.

May 29, 2013 at 04:46 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password