Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              28       29       end

Adobe kills standalone software

philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Adobe kills standalone software

I just found that CS6/ACR 7.3 does RX1 so that is it for me, I am about through with these parasites. I had to actually connect to the web to SL the latest lot of guff that poured out of the bloatware factory.

I have a non-web PC for my image work, but had to actually connect, that is a first, so their update crap will not work for normal DL and run the exe. I had an Adobe guy on the phone for an hour, did everything right - it simply did not work...he was more concerned with some post contact user questionnaire! Honestly these clowns could all go work for the government, they would fit right in, hand in glove.

As for cost, the 'every three vsns' upgrade was not too bad if you did not grab every new camera upon release. They deserve to burn for this. C1 is in my future too, legacy CS6 will be good for years for post dem work in portable file formats. Reach into my bank account every month - over my dead body..

May 06, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · Adobe kills standalone software

Time to start shooting film?

May 06, 2013 at 11:25 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Adobe kills standalone software

mawz wrote:
That's actually not a big deal, like Office365, it connects monthly for verification and does not require always-on connectivity unless you are using the cloud features.

The downside is that unlike Office365, it's a lousy value proposition. With office365 I get 5 usable copies of Office for $99/year or $10 a month (depending on billing plan). That's a better deal than buying solo if you have more than one PC to use it on (for me, it gets my PC, my laptop and my GF's Laptop). Creative Cloud on the other hand nets me a deal that is at best break-even
...Show more

Ah, gotcha. Does it shut down access to the locally saved software if it's unable to access the authentication server on the date it expects to do so?

May 06, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Adobe kills standalone software

More detailed thoughts from me: http://admiringlight.com/blog/adobe-goes-cloud-only-theyre-right-about-one-thing/

May 06, 2013 at 11:29 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Adobe kills standalone software

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/

there is a few clarifications there by John Nack.
RAW support for new cameras for CS6, but no new features.
So if LR5 has new features, CS6 will open the RAW from Lightroom,
but will not be able to edit those new features (?)
Sounds really weird. CS6 will be perfect to use for ever
except the RAW support for any new cameras. At some point
they will stop it.

May 06, 2013 at 11:44 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Adobe kills standalone software

freaklikeme wrote:
Ah, gotcha. Does it shut down access to the locally saved software if it's unable to access the authentication server on the date it expects to do so?

Yes, but not immediately, it tries to do so repeatedly and should warn you before it locks you out (assuming a similar implementation to O365)

May 06, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Adobe kills standalone software

I have to say, at the very least, the fact that they plan to support new camera updates in CS6 (for a while at least), is good. Truly cements my decision to not go to the CC, though.

May 06, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Adobe kills standalone software

jwpstl wrote:
For "owners" of CS3 or newer, you can subscribe to the Complete package for $30/month or one app for $10 a month. CS6 owners can get the Complete package for $20 month.

...for the first year. After that, it goes up!

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?plan=offers

May 06, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Adobe kills standalone software

Yup. When I saw that single license can be done for $9.99 for the first year, I was almost tempted to say "well, for $120 for the first year, that's not so bad...and then I realized that I'd lose that upgrade and need to go back to CS6 at the end of the year if I didn't want to continue paying the absurd $20 per month to keep the upgrade I've already paid $120 towards. Robbery.

May 06, 2013 at 11:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Adobe kills standalone software

I don't like it, at all.

May 07, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Adobe kills standalone software

Jman13 wrote:
Yup. When I saw that single license can be done for $9.99 for the first year, I was almost tempted to say "well, for $120 for the first year, that's not so bad...and then I realized that I'd lose that upgrade and need to go back to CS6 at the end of the year if I didn't want to continue paying the absurd $20 per month to keep the upgrade I've already paid $120 towards. Robbery.

Sounds a lot like Comcast to me!!!!!

May 07, 2013 at 12:08 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Adobe kills standalone software

Jman13 wrote:
I have to say, at the very least, the fact that they plan to support new camera updates in CS6 (for a while at least), is good. Truly cements my decision to not go to the CC, though.

I think the solution is to buy LR5 to open RAW and do everything in CS6.

May 07, 2013 at 12:14 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Adobe kills standalone software

snowboarder wrote:
I think the solution is to buy LR5 to open RAW and do everything in CS6.

Or just use the DNG Converter to get support in older versions of ACR. The LR5 method gets better conversions, but the DNG Converter method is cheaper

May 07, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · Adobe kills standalone software

What does Scott Kelby think?

May 07, 2013 at 12:31 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Adobe kills standalone software

jwpstl wrote:
Frankly, that makes little sense. Adobe no longer allows upgrades to versions more than one generation old so to get the upgrade price for CS6 you must have CS5. To move from CS3 to CS6 you would have to buy the full version and if you are going to do that you might as well subscribe. You'll get all the latest features without the high upfront cost.

Sorry I should have said, "get CS6 at the educational price".

May 07, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Adobe kills standalone software

I'm sure Scott Kelby loves it. His company uses all these programs, and being able to just add and remove licenses at will is great for a company like that. For enthusiasts and single office pros who use just Photoshop, though, it's a 50%+ price hike and locks you in to continual upgrades forever if you don't want to lose the years of upgrades you pay for while on CC.

May 07, 2013 at 12:35 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Adobe kills standalone software

Tom K. wrote:
Time to start shooting film?

Film shooters still use Photoshop once their negatives are digitized.

Few are going to change to an all analogue process.

May 07, 2013 at 12:35 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Adobe kills standalone software

It's interesting that no one, repeat NO ONE is buying Adobe's BS about all the reasons why they are moving into the cloud. All that futuristic talk isnt fooling anyone. This is nothing more but an outright cash grab.

May 07, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.2 #19 · Adobe kills standalone software

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I suspect LR will remain a stand a lone product that does not require a subscription nor mandatory use of cloud features for a while. Adobe has seen a lot of enthusiasts and hobbyist migrate to LR from Photoshop over the past few years which is one reason it's feature set has grown quite rapidly. I imagine this is part of the reason for this move by Adobe. It will actually push more folks over to Lightroom than before. It certainly does suck though for anyone who uses Photoshop on a regular basis.

OTOH, increasingly more of us are locked into Lightroom, making it an obvious candidate for the cloud.

I fear that LR is next.

Happily, nothing lasts forever - even Adobe.

On another cheerful note, the latest issue of Maclean's magazine (a Canadian publication) has an interesting article entitled "The next big one". It's about what happens when the internet fails (as systems invariably do); the cloud being part of the internet will collapse too. Wonder what we will use for software then?

Our expanding internet connectivity is a double edged sword.

Glenn

May 07, 2013 at 12:47 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Adobe kills standalone software

Hegemony gets you everywhere, apparently.

http://xkcd.com/743/

It feels like coercion. How about if I used Photoshop for a year under a "subscription model" and paid for it at the end of the term?

May 07, 2013 at 12:58 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password