FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              28       29       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe kills standalone software

snowboarder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adobe kills standalone software

no more updates beyond CS6 (!)
We are forced to a monthly subscription (cloud).

May 06, 2013 at 03:38 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adobe kills standalone software

Interesting. Coincidentally, I just downloaded GIMP the other day, since I hadn't tried it in several years, and now I'm more curious than ever to see what it is like.

May 06, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adobe kills standalone software

Oh, that really sucks! Adobe is making a huge mistake if they don't think other players will step in and fill the void such a move creates.

On another note - slightly ot - I just started playing around with Photo Ninja the other day for raw conversions. I was a bit surprised to find it actually has much better highlight recovery than Adobe. It also has a few tricks up its sleeve that are not even in ACR/ LR. The one that jumped out at me was a "Detail" slider. It's not sharpening nor clarity but more like the "Structure' in Silver Efex - but for color of course. It can be used to make any image appear "foveon" like for those who like that look.
http://www.picturecode.com/tutorials/detail_enh.php

May 06, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adobe kills standalone software

Oh wow, 24 euro a month per program or 61 euro per month (including tax) for the set....
So thats 600 euro a year without the 21% taxes, or 730 with taxes.

Sounds not to bad actually if u used to buy every update. A shame if u used to skip a version and now pay 700 euro for a year and have nothing left after that year.

Only thing is I can't find a CS set with only the essentials (Ps, Ai, Id and acrobat pro) like they used to sell.
Maybe they offer that one at a discount..

May 06, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adobe kills standalone software

Btw, the thread title is a little misleading as this does not affect all Adobe standalone software. For instance, Lightroom is not affected and will continue to be updated and available as a stand alone product sans the subscription model.

May 06, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adobe kills standalone software

What a crock. $20 a month for Photoshop (which, along with Lightroom, is all I use). While between upgrades, this is the same cost as I'm paying now (roughly) for an upgrade year to year, it needs to be FAR less to be worthwhile. They are removing the ability for me to continue using the software unless I continue to pay, which means that it's only a WASH if I buy every upgrade version from here to eterninty, because if at ANY time, I can't afford to continue paying the monthly fee....I lose all my Photoshop and have to go back to my last full license version (which in my case is CS6). This needs to be $10/mo per app to even approach making sense financially. I have been purchasing Photoshop (and lightroom) since version 7, and it's moves like THIS that will actually MAKE me want to pirate things, rather than pay for them like a good citizen.

Screw them.

May 06, 2013 at 04:20 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adobe kills standalone software

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Btw, the thread title is a little misleading as this does not affect all Adobe standalone software. For instance, Lightroom is not affected and will continue to be updated and available as a stand alone product sans the subscription model.

For now.....we'll see what Adobe does in future.

May 06, 2013 at 04:21 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adobe kills standalone software

Tariq Gibran wrote:

Not entirely true. LR5 is officially part of the cloud. You can still buy it, but it's a given, not for long...
To be honest I don't mind the cloud system. I just don't like how those
who have been using and paying for their software for years are somehow "punished" comparing
to those who have been stealing it. With the subscription, there is no initial purchase made, quite
substantial with Adobe. All of us who made that purchase are now even with those who have been
breaking the law. That's what I don't like...
I think they should offer us a significant discount, but not under "offer expiring soon",
but for at least a few years.

May 06, 2013 at 04:22 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adobe kills standalone software

Jman13 wrote:
They are removing the ability for me to continue using the software unless I continue to pay...

this is actually really the biggest screw up.

May 06, 2013 at 04:26 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adobe kills standalone software

It also assumes net connectivity. I don't know about you guys, but I like working in places where I can't always connect.

May 06, 2013 at 04:50 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adobe kills standalone software

freaklikeme wrote:
It also assumes net connectivity. I don't know about you guys, but I like working in places where I can't always connect.

That's actually not a big deal, like Office365, it connects monthly for verification and does not require always-on connectivity unless you are using the cloud features.

The downside is that unlike Office365, it's a lousy value proposition. With office365 I get 5 usable copies of Office for $99/year or $10 a month (depending on billing plan). That's a better deal than buying solo if you have more than one PC to use it on (for me, it gets my PC, my laptop and my GF's Laptop). Creative Cloud on the other hand nets me a deal that is at best break-even vs the traditional buying scheme and more than likely a really lousy deal (as most users skip versions on upgrade. Only production shops and trainers really upgrade every release, and then just because they need to).

Personally I've moved to primarily using Lightroom for everything. But if LR goes subscription only I'm headed back to CaptureOne in a heartbeat.

May 06, 2013 at 04:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adobe kills standalone software

Well, I am one of the people who used to buy every second or third version, and I guess CS6 will be my last version for now. I don't know what I will do one day when my new camera needs the new version of whatever, but for now I have no plan to subscribe. I can't stand the idea of it, to be honest, and am very frustrated at Adobe's attempt to force my hand.

May 06, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adobe kills standalone software

not to worry. I am sure there will be a hack or workaround for it, probably as soon as it's announced.

May 06, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adobe kills standalone software

Jman13 wrote:
What a crock. $20 a month for Photoshop (which, along with Lightroom, is all I use). While between upgrades, this is the same cost as I'm paying now (roughly) for an upgrade year to year, it needs to be FAR less to be worthwhile. They are removing the ability for me to continue using the software unless I continue to pay, which means that it's only a WASH if I buy every upgrade version from here to eterninty, because if at ANY time, I can't afford to continue paying the monthly fee....I lose all my Photoshop and have to go
...Show more

Damn, 20 dollar sounds cheap compared to the 31 dollar (24 euro) in europe. Is that 20 dollar including taxes?

May 06, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adobe kills standalone software

I suspect LR will remain a stand a lone product that does not require a subscription nor mandatory use of cloud features for a while. Adobe has seen a lot of enthusiasts and hobbyist migrate to LR from Photoshop over the past few years which is one reason it's feature set has grown quite rapidly. I imagine this is part of the reason for this move by Adobe. It will actually push more folks over to Lightroom than before. It certainly does suck though for anyone who uses Photoshop on a regular basis.

May 06, 2013 at 05:16 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adobe kills standalone software

another "Microsoft office style" app?

May 06, 2013 at 05:32 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adobe kills standalone software

Corel and others will fill this void. Adobe is out of their minds!

May 06, 2013 at 05:44 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Adobe kills standalone software

For "owners" of CS3 or newer, you can subscribe to the Complete package for $30/month or one app for $10 a month. CS6 owners can get the Complete package for $20 month.

Edited on May 06, 2013 at 05:53 PM · View previous versions

May 06, 2013 at 05:45 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Adobe kills standalone software

I wonder if this is the time for older users such as myself (i'm on CS3) to pick up a copy of CS6, and then ride that out for the next 4 years or so.

May 06, 2013 at 05:50 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Adobe kills standalone software

Frankly, that makes little sense. Adobe no longer allows upgrades to versions more than one generation old so to get the upgrade price for CS6 you must have CS5. To move from CS3 to CS6 you would have to buy the full version and if you are going to do that you might as well subscribe. You'll get all the latest features without the high upfront cost.

May 06, 2013 at 05:57 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.