Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

I was kind of surprised to see no thread devoted to this lens!

No more!

These shots are wide open, but don't feel limited in making contributions at all f/stops.

First shot is a 3-shot pano.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/400s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/1000s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/320s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/2500s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

View previous versions

May 06, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

A few more from my whistling through the graveyard testing.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/1600s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/800s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/4000s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/2000s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/640s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

May 06, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

Funny you should post this at this time. It's a lens I recently became curious about as an acceptable alternative for the Zeiss 85/1.4. I've read the MFD is over 3 ft away. Any chance you'd have a shot at that range?

May 07, 2013 at 05:12 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

Johnny -- Good timing!

Yes, the flower shots (except the last "bouquet" through the OOF purple flowers) are all at MFD, as is the first 3-shot pano of the wind chime. It certainly could use a little more close focus (MFD = 1m), but I feel the same about the Canon 85/1.2 L -- surprised it doesn't go closer for portraits or small objects. I bought a set of manual close-up tubes, but they are bit of a hassle to tote around and take on and off. (Yeah, lazy, I know! ) I believe one is a short 7mm tube/ring. As I recall, the Canon EF 12mm doesn't work -- wants an electronic connection.

As I mentioned, no CA correction was done, and very little is evident in all these wide open shots. I didn't correct vignetting, which is fairly strong -- some shots were slightly cropped or tilted that reduced the vignetting a touch, but not too much. The lens is very sharp -- the license plate number stands out very clearly when enlarged.

I kept this lens thanks to Jim Colwell scolding me for some negative remarks I once made about it, forcing me to give it another chance. I'm glad he did, because beyond the vignetting, there isn't much to complain about. And the price is right -- just over $200!, and available used.

Keep in mind, the detail here was shot through a rain covered windshield looking into falling rain.

May 07, 2013 at 05:42 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

Hell of a lens given the price. Given double or triple the price even.

As for close MFD: Super fast portrait lenses don't need super close MFD. They're not macro lenses.

At 3 ft, 85mm, f/1.4 on FF you're getting 0.35 inches DOF. In other words: a fraction of an eyelash. Not even a full nostril. That's not going to make for a good portrait in the vast majority of cases.

At f/5.6, all else the same, you're getting a mere 1.4 inches of DOF. That's just barely enough for a face. Most portrait shooters selling their work, shooting such a lens at MFD, are going to be stopping down further to get as much DOF as possible. At F/11, you're still only getting 2.8 inches of DOF. With a properly set up subject, camera, and background, you'll get plenty of subject isolation/nice bokeh still.

May 07, 2013 at 06:50 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

Oh man, this lens and I have quite an interesting history. I bought it when I was fairly high on dilaudid after a major surgical operation had been done to myself when my significant other made the mistake of handing me an iPad... and 2 days later it became my first foray into prime lenses. Eventually I managed to convince myself to install a dandylion chip to make manually focusing mildly less painful but still never got a hang of it with such a narrow depth of field wide open. Ended up selling it for the same price I paid for the lens new because of the chip so it wasn't all for not. Soon after picked up a 35L and 85L .

I found it was plenty sharp wide open when not shot at MFD but here is a 100% crop from a photo taken at or near MFD(ISO1600 on a 5D2 with only chroma noise reduction and default sharpening):

and a few other images that I think were shot wide open, one of which is of a fellow FM member - we'll see if I get a phone call about it:

obviously not wide open:

And this last one gives a decent idea of the bokeh wide open, though I am not perfectly in focus:

It is a great lens for the price if you have any skill manually focusing lenses. I don't, but apparently haven't learned my lesson - I just bought a 50 MP...

May 07, 2013 at 06:54 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

Well, I was wrong in my recollection about the Canon EF 12mm auto extension tube! Tried it this morning, along with a manual (sectional) tube. Both worked great! No error, just normal stopped down metering.

Here are some samples from the Canon 12mm tube. First, are the lens along at MFD, then the lens at infinity + tube, then with lens at MFD + tube.

Lens is wide open in all these shots, hand held.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/5000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/4000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 08, 2013 at 05:41 PM · View previous versions

May 08, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

Another set. Plus the jasmine flowers with only the 12mm tube at close and far setting on lens.

As with any tube or converter, it is a bit of a hassle having to cart around and take on and off as needed. But the results speak for themselves -- you can get pretty close-up.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/4000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/3200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    1/3200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 08, 2013 at 05:38 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

I'm pretty sure there used to be a Samyang 85mm thread.

Anyway, the ultimate in shallow depth of field - wide open with 68mm of extension tubes:

May 08, 2013 at 06:46 PM
DtEW

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

"It's over 9000!"

May 08, 2013 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

On the D700:

All wide open, I think.

May 09, 2013 at 12:38 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

With a thin tube on it (i have 12mm, but thinner would be better), the Samyang is pretty good for close-up portraits:

And of course f/1.4 on FF gives great subject isolation if you want it:

May 09, 2013 at 06:42 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

15Bit wrote:
I'm pretty sure there used to be a Samyang 85mm thread.

there have been a few actually. none seem to have lasted though. there doen't seem to be enough users here on the alt forum to maintain a thread. i don't actually use mine all that often despite being quite impressed by the lens. i don't care for the focal length much on aps-c and don't care for any of the current FF offerings.

anyway, a few shots with the lens, probably all wide open:

and a stitch:

May 09, 2013 at 07:24 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

^^ I've always liked that last one. You've posted it a few times i think.

I actually use my 85mm quite regularly. I think its a great lens, which with an automatic aperture would be fantastic. I am perhaps less discerning with regards cameras - i got a 5D and i'm more than happy with it.

May 09, 2013 at 07:44 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

15Bit wrote:
^^ I've always liked that last one. You've posted it a few times i think.

I actually use my 85mm quite regularly. I think its a great lens, which with an automatic aperture would be fantastic. I am perhaps less discerning with regards cameras - i got a 5D and i'm more than happy with it.

thanks, if you switch to nikon you can have auto aperture i believe. not for sony though, despite the fact that both use physical aperture levers between the lens and camera.

May 09, 2013 at 08:22 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

sebboh wrote:
thanks, if you switch to nikon you can have auto aperture i believe. not for sony though, despite the fact that both use physical aperture levers between the lens and camera.

Switch to Nikon? For the cost of switching systems i could buy a ZE 85mm f/1.4 (to get auto aperture) and still have change left over....

May 09, 2013 at 08:33 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

my feeling towards it is pretty similar to what sebboh wrote

May 09, 2013 at 08:37 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

sebboh wrote:

I wouldn't recommend automatic aperture version because of the focus shift when stopping down.

At F2

May 09, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Eiffel

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

One from Montréal:

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 04:31 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 04:59 PM
teraflame
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 85mm f/1.4 Samyang (Rokinon, B&H, Bower, et. al.)

playing around with it

May 14, 2013 at 02:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password