New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · luminance difference between LR and PS

fracas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · luminance difference between LR and PS

Hi everybody,
I am very often experimenting a difference in luminance appearance (expecially in darker areas) of pictures when viewed in LR vs PS ... in LR the dark areas appear darker than in PS
I also figured out that in LR I can match the PS image appearance by checking the soft proofing box.

I never noted this till a few weeks ago (I had PS5 and LR4 ... now I have PS6).

When I post a picture on a web-site it seems to look more like the LR darker version (even if exported from PS), as in the example below
http://www.juzaphoto.com/shared_files/uploads/448660.jpg

Does someone can help me to understand/ fix this.
Thanks in advance,
francesco

May 06, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · luminance difference between LR and PS

There should not be a significant difference in brightness or saturation between PS and LR. When there is a difference, it usually indicates that something funky is happening related to the color spaces you are using or the monitor profile.

Take a look at this thread to see if it might apply to you:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1204377

May 06, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · luminance difference between LR and PS

It's a little unclear what your complaint is. Does the same file view the same in both LR and Ps, and they appear different when you look at them in a web browser, or is it something else?

Also, the image you posted really means nothing without a comparison to put next to it. There's no way to know if this is the lighter or darker one or anything else, aside from the fact that this image is untagged RGB, which may be at the root of whatever perceived problem there is.

May 06, 2013 at 08:34 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · luminance difference between LR and PS

Eyeball -- yes the difference is little, it affects luminance and maybe also saturation ... it is much much lower than what happens when I forget to save files in PS without attaching them the ProPhotoRGB profile
I am going to look to the thread suggested... thanks

Peter - let's forget the attached image ... my complaint is that the file appears slightly different in PS and LR ... if I look at it in a web browser it is similar to the LR version ... if I check "soft proof" in LR it becomes similar to PS

cheers,
francesco

May 07, 2013 at 01:00 AM
fracas
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · luminance difference between LR and PS

I add another point ... if I open a tiff file (with prophotorgb profile) with "edit in photoshop " from LR, it appears with open shadows in PS ...

May 07, 2013 at 01:07 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · luminance difference between LR and PS

"if I check "soft proof" in LR it becomes similar to PS"

but what are you soft proofing to? The soft proofing feature has a specific profile of an output device it's trying to simulate. What is that?

Also, are your color management settings identical on both programs, and are you sure that both are using the same custom monitor profile, and that that profile is indeed a version 2 profile and not a version 4 profile?

Lastly, are the interface surroundings on both programs set up to have the same type of gray? If one is lighter than the other, that will screw with your perception in both luminance and saturation.

May 07, 2013 at 01:10 AM
fracas
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · luminance difference between LR and PS

Hi Peter
thanks for your answer
1) I am not soft proofing ... I only say that with the soft proof box checked the image apperance is identical in PS and LR
2) I am working on tiff files with embedded ProPhotoRGB profiles ... I work with "embedded" profile in LR so I figure out that both programs are using the same profile
3) How can I verify that both programs are using the same custom monitor profile? I created the profile with "i1 display pro"
4) I am going to try the version 2 (instead of the default 4) and will make you know if it fixes the issue
5) yes the surroundings are both of the same gray

I add also other info ... up to 1 month ago I had no problems, but now I have a new MAC with new software:
a) old configuration: Mac OS X 10.6 - LR 4 - PS 5 - i1 display pro
b) new configuration: Mac OS X 10.8.3 - LR 4 - PS 6 - eye one display 2
maybe the change in the color management software could have determined my issue?

thanks again
francesco

May 07, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · luminance difference between LR and PS

"1) I am not soft proofing ... I only say that with the soft proof box checked the image apperance is identical in PS and LR"

When you check that box, you are soft proofing. What is the profile you are soft proofing to?

"4) How can I know if the profile is a version 2 or 4?"

Since it appears you built the profiles with your X-Rite hardware and software, there is a checkbox in one of the panels when you choose profile parameters. One of them is to choose version 2 or version 4 icc profiles. The default setting, for reasons known only to X-Rite, are to make a version 4 profile, even though they know that far too many applications have problems with them. I would try rebuilding your monitor profile and check the v2 option and see if that doesn't fix everything for you.

May 07, 2013 at 04:09 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · luminance difference between LR and PS

thanks Peter... I found the v2 vs v4 dialog ... I will try and hope to fix the issue

as for the soft proofing ... I would say that it was not my intention to soft proof ... I just checked the boxed and saw that the differences between PS and LR disappeared ... how can I find which profile LR is soft-proofing?

May 07, 2013 at 04:26 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · luminance difference between LR and PS

fracas wrote:
thanks Peter... I found the v2 vs v4 dialog ... I will try and hope to fix the issue

as for the soft proofing ... I would say that it was not my intention to soft proof ... I just checked the boxed and saw that the differences between PS and LR disappeared ... how can I find which profile LR is soft-proofing?

To be softproofing in Lr, you would be in the development module, unfortunately you can’t do it elsewhere. You need the right hand side panel showing, and then, below the histogram, it should have a dropdown for the ICC profile it is using for softproofing.

Brian A

May 07, 2013 at 06:41 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · luminance difference between LR and PS

thanks brian

May 08, 2013 at 02:18 AM
fracas
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · luminance difference between LR and PS

many thanks to all of you!
the version 2 profile fixed my issue

cheers
francesco

May 08, 2013 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.