Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              12       13       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Just having a "Lars" moment i though i'd check the international pricing: I am delighted to see that whilst Creative Cloud costs $49.99 a month in the US, it will cost us $66.70 (390 NOK) out here in the european wilderness. A 30% surcharge for the long distance mailing of those interweb packets doesn't seem at all unreasonable....

May 07, 2013 at 05:57 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

anthonygh wrote:
Considering what LR4 and CS6 already offer...what do people think they will need in the foreseeable future anyway to create decent images from their cameras?

It will be interesting to see how the hackers and pirates deal with this one as well..

Heh... Give the hackers six months and they'll have it cracked

The worrying thing for those like me who plan to stick to CS6 is having no RAW support for future cameras, especially for Lightroom.

However, I suspect adobe will "adjust" this new model over time as it realizes it's killing its long-term viability and fueling competitors. For corporate clients the subscription model is a no brainer. For everyone else (including today's students) it's not so attractive to pay a monthly fee in perpetuity to use software installed on your own computer.

Even Microsoft seems to realize subscription software is not for everyone and still offers standalone Office applications alongside its 365 offerings

Edited on May 07, 2013 at 06:05 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

15Bit wrote:
Just having a "Lars" moment i though i'd check the international pricing: I am delighted to see that whilst Creative Cloud costs $49.99 a month in the US, it will cost us $66.70 (390 NOK) out here in the european wilderness. A 30% surcharge for the long distance mailing of those interweb packets doesn't seem at all unreasonable....

Consider youself lucky. In Denmark the price is close to 80$ (455 DKR). That is just great fun.

May 07, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Oh, and renting just one app, like Photoshop, will cost you 32$. One pesky app. 32$ per month for the rest of your life.

May 07, 2013 at 06:06 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Stoffer wrote:
Consider youself lucky. In Denmark the price is close to 80$ (455 DKR). That is just great fun.

That includes tax - i subtracted tax to make the comparison fair. Its actually 487 NOK inc tax here, which is $83...

May 07, 2013 at 06:11 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

15Bit wrote:
That includes tax - i subtracted tax to make the comparison fair. Its actually 487 NOK inc tax here, which is $83...

Ok, that makes more sense. If I can find a way to pay the US price, I might accept this. But I'm sure they can check where your credit card is from.

May 07, 2013 at 06:19 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

This is ridiculous.

May 07, 2013 at 06:34 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Went out at lunch today to the student bookstore and purchased the student/teacher CS6 for $200. Now they expect us to rent it for $360 per year. Talk about a price gouge

May 07, 2013 at 08:07 PM
3catsinky
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

how much do you make from using Adobe software? How much is the convenience of having the latest and greatest instantly available to you worth? I hear the argument, and I can switch to FCP X, but I won't. As a video producer and photographer, I find the $31 a month is NOTHING compared to the thousands of dollars I can make using the software each month. How much money do you waste each month eating out? I know I spend WAY more than the cost of "renting" software. $31 a month is easier to swallow than $699 here, or $2000 there for a new set of apps.

I am also a life long Mac user, and nowadays, i have a hard time swallowing the price of a new mac, so knowing I can easily get up and running on a new, fast PC is well, kind of enlightening.

May 07, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

This is really messed up. I think Adobe lost their mind.... I wish there was another company making similar product to Photoshop. I know there's already "something" similar but not as powerful as Photoshop. At least nothing that other companies making some great plugins would take seriously. I expensively use Nik or Topaz that are only available for Photoshop or Lightroom. I think there are some versions for Apple's Aperture too but I need masking, layers, and tablet support etc.
This is incredibly idiotic, what Adobe did (at least to me).

May 07, 2013 at 08:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JDSA
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

What person in their right mind would pay a monthly software subscription for a couple of years and then own nothing?

For casual users like me this is the end of the Adobe line. As an example I use PS CS6 on a Mac. I also have a license for Windows. I rarely use W8 for more than a couple of non-Apple tasks but I do like to fiddle around with it.

Honestly, just last week I was thinking maybe I should upgrade my Windows PS CS5 to CS6 so I can do the same work on either platform. $200 but why not?

Apparently the New Adobe doesn't want my casual-user business. Nor do they want my $200 for an upgrade that I don't really need but just wanted to buy anyway.

May 07, 2013 at 08:26 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

I am finished with Adobe Photoshop.
No loss, as ACR is does not produce the best RAW conversions anyway.

This is the perfect opportunity for Pixelmator to add 48 bit file support.

I also find Apple Aperture allows me to produce better RAW conversions than PS, and has all the tools I need for RAW conversions.

May 07, 2013 at 08:56 PM
calvin2
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

OK, the past three releases of PS CS# have been 18 months, 18 months and 24 months apart. So lets just assume a normal upgrade cycle is 18 months.

I usually skip every other version. My last upgrade was $199 from CS4 to CS6. So assuming 36 months between upgrades, I'm spending $5.56/month. I can use this software on my Mac Pro and one MacBook Pro.

So assuming the normal use case is upgrading for every version, it's < $12/month. $19.95 sounds like a ripoff.

May 07, 2013 at 09:16 PM
R. Eisenberg
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

It seems to me that a mixed model with the choice of either a subscription based service or a perpetual license would have been more respectful of end-users and their respective interests. I find the current proposal of an exclusively based subscription service both unacceptable, regrettable and ultimately offensive.

May 07, 2013 at 09:24 PM
DougDolde
• •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

It's called Creative Clown Vomit

May 07, 2013 at 09:31 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

3catsinky wrote:
how much do you make from using Adobe software? How much is the convenience of having the latest and greatest instantly available to you worth? I hear the argument, and I can switch to FCP X, but I won't. As a video producer and photographer, I find the $31 a month is NOTHING compared to the thousands of dollars I can make using the software each month. How much money do you waste each month eating out? I know I spend WAY more than the cost of "renting" software. $31 a month is easier to swallow than $699 here, or
...Show more

I think business users, like yourself, will find the concept more attractive. There is a reasonable argument in your comments. I think the $30 / month for Complete is only for the first year; then it appears to go to $50 / month (with a year subscription) or $75 / month (on a month-by-month basis). $600 or $900 for a year. If you think $699 is a lot, I suspect you will have to pay the $600 full year subscription in a single payment every year after the first year. Still doable for a real business.

May 07, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Joe Bodego

p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Adobe has just added millions to the "pirate using" population. Look, this suite would be available for download the day its released so more people would join the legions of millions who use pirated adobe software. There is no reason or benefits to be an adobe registered user. Anything adobe can provide is freely available online be it tutorials on how to use their products or updates. Adobe's fooling itself if it thinks that this could stop piracy. I give you Microsoft office thats heavily based in the clouds, In a matter of hours, the suite was cracked and made available to pirate users.

May 07, 2013 at 10:55 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

3catsinky wrote:
how much do you make from using Adobe software? How much is the convenience of having the latest and greatest instantly available to you worth? I hear the argument, and I can switch to FCP X, but I won't. As a video producer and photographer, I find the $31 a month is NOTHING compared to the thousands of dollars I can make using the software each month. How much money do you waste each month eating out? I know I spend WAY more than the cost of "renting" software. $31 a month is easier to swallow than $699 here, or
...Show more

For some businesses it makes sense, I admit, but what happens if you move away from video in a few years and no longer want to pay adobe $50 a month (likely more since I'm sure prices will go up fast)? You have the option of continuing to pay a monthly amount for the privilege of occasionally revisiting your video files, or opting to invest that $600+ a year elsewhere and lose access to your files.

That's my gripe with all this... users appear to be locked in to paying Adobe for life (or as long as they want to be able to edit their files). That's just bizarre IMO. Software is a product, not a service despite what Adobe wants us to believe. What's next? Renting our computers from Apple?

May 07, 2013 at 10:57 PM
icacphoto

p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

I can only see this ending in disaster for Adobe. It'll be a trickle down effect as their high execs came right out and said we don't care if you pirate our products. So what will happen now with their products is that you won't have the high school kids getting ridiculously good with it,then deciding to try a career in graphic design or something related that would mean adobe would get the income back out since said kid would be comfortable with Adobe products and would most likely work for a company that uses them. Now what you'll have is kids can't get access to Adobe stuff to learn on and maybe can't afford or have no way to pay for even if they can afford the subscription. I figure what'll find is kids will move on to other software and then in 10-15 years when those kids are out in field of graphic design or photography you won't see them as professionals using Adobe but using what they are used to.

TL;DR Adobe is shooting themselves in the face.

May 07, 2013 at 11:17 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

icacphoto wrote:
I can only see this ending in disaster for Adobe. It'll be a trickle down effect as their high execs came right out and said we don't care if you pirate our products. So what will happen now with their products is that you won't have the high school kids getting ridiculously good with it,then deciding to try a career in graphic design or something related that would mean adobe would get the income back out since said kid would be comfortable with Adobe products and would most likely work for a company that uses them. Now what you'll have
...Show more

I'm inclined to agree that this is not a good long-term strategy, but then Adobe seems to be a company beholden to shareholders and their expectations of short-term gains so that's how they judge their success.

However, I wondered if the same thing would happen when Adobe bought Macromedia and started ratcheting up the price of their software to sometimes ridiculous prices and potentially pricing younger users out of the market. I guess the difference years ago was that education discounts were very generous, and hackers stepped in with a solution for those not able or willing to plunk down a grand for a few programs.

May 08, 2013 at 12:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password