Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              12       13       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Peter Figen wrote:
"If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline."

If your software has to phone home every thirty days, how does it keep working for half a year with no connection? The math here seems fuzzy to me.

You'll be asked to but I guess you don't have to.

May 07, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Well Adobe WON'T be getting a penny from me on this . If they go this route for Lightroom as well then I think I'd rather spend a fortune on a mac and use aperture .

The main issue i see is that you DON'T OWN the software . So in a years time when your existing contract expires they could turn round and say the new contract is 3 times the cost . So what do you do ? Either carry on getting stiffed or stop paying and have no software to show for it .

The whole concept of the CLOUD is a total con .
And this isn't even real cloud is it . You still have to have the software on your machine . The only cloud bit is the 20gig of storage and the constant upgrading they will keep sending down your line .

What I find funny is how these companies think this is viable now when there are much cheaper (or free) ever more viable options on the market now. And stuff like this will only accelerate them .

May 07, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Like many, I cannot admit the idea of renting software I have always bought (i.e., owned my own copy of).

I feel it is important to retain only valid arguments. The issue is not that much about having to connect once a month to activate (I suspect few people cannot do it).
- It is about making people rent what they used to own, and giving them no choice. It is about the fact that after 10 years on such a plan, we still have nothing, and even if we give up photography, stop taking pictures but still want to access the files we have started working on, we have to keep renting.
- It is also about the even greater power it gives to the software supplier, who can increase price at will later on, users will still have to either follow, or lose the working environment that was just rented to them (regardless of the quality of the product at that time).
- It is also about competition in the future: if you pay the rent for 5 years, have all your work done in Adobe environment (including some proprietary files, like .psd, or the LR catalog if LR also becomes cloud), and a great competitor comes up, how do you switch ? you will most likely have to keep paying Adobe for months or years until your switch is complete, and until you can shift your proprietary files to the new format (if ever).

I am no law expert, but I wish there could be a Class Action Suit for this.
Also, I wish Open Source Free software becomes more mainstream for imaging. FWIW, Gimp is already perfect for image editing, but nothing comes close to LR for Raw processing/management, and also for printing in a color managed workflow.

Peter Figen wrote:
I would think that for the casual user it's a lot easier to say that you're going to stop here and now and tell Adobe to shove off, but for those professionals among us, it's going to be a lot more difficult. No matter how much I hate the subscription service, I will have no choice, as I have to stay current for the type of work that I do. I simply can't tell a client that I refused to upgrade to the latest software because I don't agree with Adobe's policy - even when I strongly disagree.

It might just be that Adobe decided to (1) drop casual users; (2) force professional users to rent their software forever. That may give them just as much income, and give them the guarantee that this income will become a monthly flow regardless of innovation.

May 07, 2013 at 07:45 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Recently I have had so many "Enter Your Serial Number Now" denial of service that I have the CS6 box on my computer desk. So I plan to make my, previous, CS6 my last Adobe purchase. I will make whatever kind of work arounds possible to use ACR down the line but, obviously, Adobe will eventually kill that too (including PhotoShop Elements).

This means my instant upgrades to new cameras will cease (at the least I will wait for indroductory pricing to fall to "refurb" levels). This will put pressure on camera makers to make better RAW software and is certainly an opportunity for 3rd party RAW converters. How's that open standard DNG as an archival universal format working for you now?

But, most importantly, I will never rush to buy any more Abobe products after they have screwed a loyal, always registered client, so badly. This is the kind of stuff Microsoft does and they are withering on the fine. Folks sell your Adobe stock now before the big drop.

May 07, 2013 at 08:26 AM
tebogan

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Looks like the emails I have been getting from ACDSee will be doing them some good.

May 07, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Peter Figen wrote:
I would think that for the casual user it's a lot easier to say that you're going to stop here and now and tell Adobe to shove off, but for those professionals among us, it's going to be a lot more difficult. No matter how much I hate the subscription service, I will have no choice, as I have to stay current for the type of work that I do.

I know professionals (well two anyway) who are still using CS2. I honestly don't remember any features introduced in the last several versions that would cripple me creatively if I had to do without them. Puppet Warp? Please...

Sure, there are workflow shifting advances like Smart Objects, but they come along so rarely that they are the exception rather than the rule and precious few of those would be considered critical. I'm confident that I can ride the last version of CS into the sunset without any real fear of being left behind.

I guess if I still had a number of years left to work I might feel differently and sign on for the subscription, but there's absolutely no guarantee that Adobe would survive those years along with me. If Adobe goes out of business, will they offer a patch that lets their software function in perpetuity without having to connect to their soon-to-be-dark servers?

Or will everyone be left rummaging through their closets looking for that magic version of CS2?

Edited on May 07, 2013 at 11:04 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2013 at 09:26 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Better install several copies on different machines now. All computers eventually crap out (at least mine do). Reinstalling an old copy of PP isn't an option that seems to work for very many cycles. If you upgrade your hardware, sooner or later Adobe has you where they want you. Only real solution is competition.

Perhaps a better tact for Adobe would have been to allow end users to install complete programs on their computers with the user's files stored there as well. Then build in some kind of timer on the PP program which requires a quarterly or annual pay up to reactivate it (like antivirus companies do),. I could live with that.

May 07, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

DocsPics wrote:
Better install several copies on different machines now. All computers eventually crap out (at least mine do). Reinstalling an old copy of PP isn't an option that seems to work for very many cycles. If you upgrade your hardware, sooner or later Adobe has you where they want you. Only real solution is competition.

Perhaps a better tact for Adobe would have been to allow end users to install complete programs on their computers with the user's files stored there as well. Then build in some kind of timer on the PP program which requires a quarterly or annual pay
...Show more

Isn't that what will happen . Your still going to have the software installed on your machine . Its not like (as far as I can see) real cloud computing (ie chrome OS etc) where the software you use is centrally installed in the 'cloud'

I don't like the idea of the first way (adobe's way) becuase the costs are so high . I don't like the proper cloud way because other than a few well served places the Internet really can't cope . I still know people on dial up becuse they can't get a decent broadband service and 3G services are still iffy if you move away from the high population areas .

May 07, 2013 at 10:46 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Welcome to the future folks Licensing is the way forward in all software because it not only gives the distributor more control, in many countries it also gives the consumer fewer rights. Go and ask those folk who bought Sim City a few weeks ago and found they couldn't play it - "You want a refund? Sorry, you should read your terms and conditions sir - you licensed our product, you did not buy it. You have no entitlement to a refund..."

May 07, 2013 at 12:51 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Considering what LR4 and CS6 already offer...what do people think they will need in the foreseeable future anyway to create decent images from their cameras?

If new cameras come out and Adobe doesn't make it possible to use the new files......someone will spot a market opportunity and make a suitable converter...and presumably the DNG converter will continue anyway. Adobe shooting itself in the foot might actually motivate the camera manufacturers to improve their own software as a marketing ploy. In the future part of a camera 'system' might include the quality of the proprietary imaging software and as this might impact on sales it will have to be good.

I would agree with the sentiments expressed above.....I still own all the software previously purchased.....Adobe seem to want a customer's money and also keep ownership (essentially) of the product.

It will be interesting to see how the hackers and pirates deal with this one as well..

May 07, 2013 at 02:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

anthonygh wrote:
If new cameras come out and Adobe doesn't make it possible to use the new files......someone will spot a market opportunity and make a suitable converter...and presumably the DNG converter will continue anyway. Adobe shooting itself in the foot might actually motivate the camera manufacturers to improve their own software as a marketing ploy. In the future part of a camera 'system' might include the quality of the proprietary imaging software and as this might impact on sales it will have to be good.

I have been thinking into the DNG route since yesterday, when I read about the CC story.
DNG files are quite a bit bigger than RAW files, which is not ideal.
But it seems they are not demosaiced (I thought they were), so that solution is becoming interesting. Even better, it seems reasonable to expect open RAW to DNG converters be maintained. Then, the only problem with the current versions of LR and PS is when the hardware/OS breaks compatibility. I do not know how many years to expect. Hopefully enough for fully open source solutions to arise, and become more mainstream.

anthonygh wrote:
It will be interesting to see how the hackers and pirates deal with this one as well..

And hopefully, accelerated development of open source alternatives.

May 07, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Sal Baker
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Adobe is finally vulnerable to other innovative software companies. Investment capital just became easier to find now that an entire market segment that was previously locked-up will want two things--an alternative, and a chance to get even. A really bad situation for a company to voluntarily create. Can anyone say "arrogant?"

Sal

May 07, 2013 at 03:23 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

anthonygh wrote:

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

May 07, 2013 at 03:25 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Here's the mindset at Adobe behind these kinds of decisions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yigV0GYGQ

May 07, 2013 at 03:56 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

15Bit wrote:
Welcome to the future folks Licensing is the way forward in all software because it not only gives the distributor more control, in many countries it also gives the consumer fewer rights. Go and ask those folk who bought Sim City a few weeks ago and found they couldn't play it - "You want a refund? Sorry, you should read your terms and conditions sir - you licensed our product, you did not buy it. You have no entitlement to a refund..."

Very much like the photography model where we love to license our photos to be used in only the strict conditions outlined in the contract. You want to actually buy my photo...then you'll have to really pony up the cash.

Is this not what Adobe is doing to us now, well except we don't have the option of buying photoshop.

May 07, 2013 at 05:03 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Do a facebook search for " Boycott Adobe PS Cloud "..

May 07, 2013 at 05:07 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

snapsy wrote:
Here's the mindset at Adobe behind these kinds of decisions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yigV0GYGQ

That's definitely one CEO who lacks a Reality Distortion Field....

May 07, 2013 at 05:07 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

John Skinner wrote:
Do a facebook search for " Boycott Adobe PS Cloud "..

But I boycott Facebook

May 07, 2013 at 05:08 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

chez wrote:
Very much like the photography model where we love to license our photos to be used in only the strict conditions outlined in the contract. You want to actually buy my photo...then you'll have to really pony up the cash.

Yes, very much like that...

May 07, 2013 at 05:09 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Another issue: supposing they put a new CC on the 'cloud' and say that it requires say W8 or W9 and you don't want to use W8 or W9 and are waiting on W10 well now thanks to Adobe you HAVE to switch from W7 to W8 or W9 (even if they are a mess or you don't want to pay for them yet or go through mess of upgrade yet, whatever) and perhaps make a separate boot partition and have to boot into that mess every time you want to use Adobe.

May 07, 2013 at 05:38 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password