Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              12       13       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

UCSB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Yikes!!! I see some tough decisions in the future ... but, for now I will continue with CS6 and LR 4.4.

May 06, 2013 at 07:44 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Lovesong wrote:
Really a sad day all together. The fact is that Adobe will make money on this, and lots of it, based on the fact that larger organizations, such as universities, will end up forking over the money. For the single user, it's a total sham. Even for those of us who upgrade at every cycle, the reality is that when you stop your subscription, your .psd and .ai files will no longer be able to be opened correctly.

I have a really hard time investing the time and creative energy into projects knowing I will have to pay forever to maintain access to them in their original format. I'm not sure I can do this as an individual. Usually, when you buy a monthly service ... Netflix, cable TV, SirrusXM radio, etc. ... you use or don't use the service that month. But, that is the end of it. Adobe is really asking for something different. This feels more like the property tax that I have to pay on my home every year ... a levy I have to pay to for continued use of my own property. As a business service Adobe's plan makes some sense, but as a personal service for individuals not so much.

May 06, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

UCSB wrote:
I have a really hard time investing the time and creative energy into projects knowing I will have to pay forever to maintain access to them in their original format. I'm not sure I can do this as an individual. Usually, when you buy a monthly service ... Netflix, cable TV, SirrusXM radio, etc. ... you use or don't use the service that month. But, that is the end of it. Adobe is really asking for something different. This feels more like the property tax that I have to pay on my home every year ... a levy I have
...Show more

I'd argue it's worse than that. Adobe is essentially locking you and all your work into their software/ecosystem from the moment you start using their software. While for Photoshop this isn't that big of a deal- 16 bit tiffs can be used by many other programs, for things like .ai or .indd files, you're at their mercy. I'm sure there's going to be a class action law suit somewhere in there...

May 06, 2013 at 08:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Photonic wrote:
Great companies try to respond to and/or anticipate customers needs. Adobe, with this move, has decided to ignore this most basic of business tenets. This is a financially motivated decision, plain and simple. No customer pull whatsoever. I suspect that larger shops will have no alternative but to sign up for the monthly ransom. I think that the small guys are going to abandon ship in droves, myself included.

At the end of the day we get to vote with our wallets. Hope you will join me in sending Adobe the only message they will understand.

Reading over Adobe's latest financial statements, they claim their big turn around in revenue this past year was due to going the Cloud route with their products. They say more people have jumped onto the Cloud bandwagon than they anticipated. Might seem like a dumb move to many here, but maybe Adobe knows something we all don't.

May 06, 2013 at 08:38 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Here's what I found on the Adopey (oops, I mean Adobe) website...

http://www.caltel.com/~jforkner/Temp/Single_app.jpg
http://www.caltel.com/~jforkner/Temp/PS_CC.jpg
http://www.caltel.com/~jforkner/Temp/LR.jpg

Didn't find anything about $9.95/mo.

Jack

Edited on May 06, 2013 at 08:43 PM · View previous versions

May 06, 2013 at 08:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Eyeball wrote:
I kind of had a feeling that this was coming. A week or so ago, Adobe had an online survey and it had a question about how much you like the Creative Cloud. The 3 possible answers were (paraphrased from memory):
A. It's great.
B. I like it.
C. I probably will like it once I understand it.

hah

May 06, 2013 at 08:42 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Cloud is the future, whether we like it or not. I don't, but it fights piracy extremely well. A lot of other industries are heading in that direction as well; other software, games, music, even TV shows and movies to an extent, etc.

The biggest issue for me is, is that internet is not really available/affordable everywhere. What if I have a long train or bus ride and want to watch or edit something? Or like my parents, who do not have internet at their house at all?

Adobe only checks in about once a month so you can continue using your software without an internet connection as long as you do connect periodically.

May 06, 2013 at 08:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

John Caldwell wrote:
Under this paradigm, will you need to have an internet connection at the time an app in launched, meaning to use the app?

I don't believe you are right. I believe you down load the app to your computer then use it as normal. Adobe will periodically check to ensure you are a paying customer, otherwise disable the app.

May 06, 2013 at 08:49 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

msoomro wrote:
As i understand from the messaging, one can still buy CS6 as a stand alone product in a boxed version. The cloud offering is only for the suite. is this correct?

I just signed onto My Adobe to order the boxed version upgrade from CS 5.5 to CS 6, The only option choice I had was download software, I then checked Lightroom the same resiult only option download.

If they are still selling boxed versions it appears to be download only.

May 06, 2013 at 09:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

You have to find a boxed version in a store or online. They announced the end of the boxed versions a month or so ago, and now we know why. I have unused retail CS5 and CS6 sets. I guess they will be my last.

EBH

May 06, 2013 at 09:20 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Not upgrade versions as Adobe previously stated starting with CS6 all upgrades could be done through Adobe only.

May 06, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

burningheart wrote:
Not upgrade versions as Adobe previously stated starting with CS6 all upgrades could be done through Adobe only.

Won't that increase the pirating of Photoshop 6?

May 06, 2013 at 10:19 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

For video it will be trickier but maybe the Sony product will come up to par.

I just spent a month with the demo version of Sony Vegas Pro 12. It's a very powerful program, marred by an antiquated user interface. If Sony would just modernize the UI, I think Vegas Pro would be a viable alternative to video editors from the "three A's".

John

May 06, 2013 at 10:22 PM
ratherfish
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

My prediction is that this decision, if it sticks, will actually convince some like myself to stick with the cameras that we have, as opposed to buying new equipment that won't be supported by the legacy, stand-alone versions of PS and LR that we already own and use. It may thus incline folks to focus more on photography than on camera technology. Stepping off the technology upgrade treadmill seems kind of liberating to me. But, for camera makers, the impact may not be so liberating. Finally, as a state government user, it is worth noting that I can purchase stand-alone products like PS and LR far more easily than I can purchase cloud-based subscription services.

May 06, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

I would think that for the casual user it's a lot easier to say that you're going to stop here and now and tell Adobe to shove off, but for those professionals among us, it's going to be a lot more difficult. No matter how much I hate the subscription service, I will have no choice, as I have to stay current for the type of work that I do. I simply can't tell a client that I refused to upgrade to the latest software because I don't agree with Adobe's policy - even when I strongly disagree. I really hate that I'll be forced into a monthly licensing scheme that I never asked for and don't want, all just to make Adobe's bean counters busier every month. Unfortunately there is no viable alternative to Photoshop for what I do. I have to use it and the way Adobe is going about their business, and, of course, they can do what they want, will only build resentment in the long run. Short run too. Hell, just look at this thread...

May 06, 2013 at 11:03 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

I guess I'll be holding onto my iMac and not upgrading it past OSX 10.6, and also my older G5 tower, so I can run the now freely available CS2 when I need it. As for RAW conversion, I guess Lightroom will also eventually go subscription, but considering how much it costs now, should be much more reasonably priced. While it's not a perfect replacement for PS, it's good enough for the vast majority of my work so that CS2 is only needed to pinch hit on occasion. And one option to consider for future camera purchases are models that output RAW files in DNG format, which should keep them reasonably compatible with older RAW converters. Or perhaps convert to DNG...?

May 06, 2013 at 11:59 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

BluesWest wrote:
I just spent a month with the demo version of Sony Vegas Pro 12. It's a very powerful program, marred by an antiquated user interface. If Sony would just modernize the UI, I think Vegas Pro would be a viable alternative to video editors from the "three A's".

John

I hope so. I hope they also increase the variety and quality of output options. I never found one that didn't produce at least a tiny bit of quality loss to 5D2 video files (which should've been easy to compress well compared to 5D3 or other stuff) but with PP you could set some pretty fancy and high quality options for h.264 and even MPEG2 with 4:2:2 preservation and with all the sub settings tweaked out and a high bitrate it really let you put out amazing archival quality output.

At least PP could some nvidia CUDA support in there and some pretty decent things in the last update before they cut it off so I'm hoping I can get by with PPCS6 for a while and than in a few years there will be super strong alternatives.

Although I really wish it had made just one more version since it just needed a few more modern things....

May 07, 2013 at 12:13 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Eyeball wrote:
You do not always need to be connected. Adobe says that you will need to connect at least once a month to refresh your service membership for the month-to-month plan and at least once every 3 months if you make a one-year pre-payment for the service.

From the Cloud's FAQ page

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Cloud desktop applications? No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline.

May 07, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Maybe when everyone has 500Mbs connections instead of sustained 1-10Mbs and maybe when bandwidth and storage is so cheap that companies will store every version and extras and all at max quality it will work (other than rights battles and such), but we are long way from taht.

High speed fiber to every location in the USA is looking more and more like another end-of-prosperity pipe dream like energy-independence and "free" heart transplants and miracle cloning. The fever for growth---even when growth is the worst possible choice --- has turned them into ghouls.

May 07, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

"If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline."

If your software has to phone home every thirty days, how does it keep working for half a year with no connection? The math here seems fuzzy to me.

May 07, 2013 at 01:24 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.