Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

TX_Gulf_Coast

Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

RichFisher wrote:
It seems Adobe has targeted commercial users and is ignoring hobby photographers. Though we purchased PS previously we will now have to pay for it again in subscription fee.

I wonder how Adobe determined prices - what they assumed for lifetime of a subscriber. Bet it is fairly short, 3 -5 years. If you can avoid capital outlay for the software and pay only month fee, the economics may not be so bad.

however if you already have the software and only occasional upgrade, the economics are really really unfavorable.

This in my opinion, as a studio owner and full-time professional is the key issue with Adobe's decision. I own and operate a studio that services several local school districts doing everything from individual school portraits, senior portraits to team and individuals and the schools special events. While it may make sense for larger companies to do a subscription based service, this represents a 255% increase in the cost of my software annually. I have 3 licenses for CS 5 and 1 for CS 5.5 Production Premium Suite. To pay monthly for these subscriptions is a tremendous increase in my costs immediately...one I cannot depreciate out and carry as asset on my balance sheet any longer...just an expense.

And this reeks of Comcast (Cable company's) scheme: 19.99 a month (small print you can't read) for the first 6 months, then it is 69.99 for the remainder of your contract. Then your stuck...you need need content from your computer and can't get it as you don't want to or can't pay the fee they want.

I have upgraded all my licenses to CS6 and I will just have to hope that it will work for my business until there is a viable alternative or Adobe pulls their head out of their arse and realizes you can't hold your customers hostage.

If I were to pull a stunt like this in my business, I would be gone within a month. Customers want choice, if they don't have that, they will go elsewhere.

As will I if the right software comes along to replace Adobe. I have my original coy of Photoshop diskettes from 1985(?) or so. Guess it is time to have a bonfire...

CJ

May 13, 2013 at 02:29 PM
RichFisher
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #2 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

TX_Gulf_Coast wrote:
This in my opinion, as a studio owner and full-time professional is the key issue with Adobe's decision. I own and operate a studio that services several local school districts doing everything from individual school portraits, senior portraits to team and individuals and the schools special events. While it may make sense for larger companies to do a subscription based service, this represents a 255% increase in the cost of my software annually. I have 3 licenses for CS 5 and 1 for CS 5.5 Production Premium Suite. To pay monthly for these subscriptions is a tremendous increase in my
...Show more

CJ

Sorry to hear about the extra cost for you. Can you get academic prices? That will ease the burden a bit.

But in the end, Adobe's price structure hurt long time customers who only occasionally upgrade.

May 13, 2013 at 02:50 PM
colinm
• • •
p.12 #3 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

RichFisher wrote:
however if you already have the software and only occasional upgrade, the economics are really really unfavorable.

That ship sailed long ago; even before they shoved everyone onto Creative Cloud, there was no such thing as an "occasional upgrade" anymore. You either upgraded every version or you bought a full version for your next "upgrade."

If you were on the upgrade treadmill like a good boy, you're getting the shaft. At full price, an upgrade would set you back $11.05/month. For loyal users, moving to Creative Cloud bears a price increase of 80 percent, adding $161 to the cost of Photoshop.

If you were to upgrade every other version, Creative Cloud puts you roughly at break-even. This is apparently the only customer Adobe cares about. A perpetual license at $699 breaks down to $19.42/month. Total additional cost: $20.64 over three years.

You've have to upgrade every third version to get soaked as on occasional upgrader, at which point you're putting $12.95/month ($699) up against $19.99/month ($1079.46).

May 13, 2013 at 03:08 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.12 #4 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

You forget to mention that new versions as well as upgrades are sometimes available at steeply discounted pricing. For example, you may only have paid about $200 for a FULL CS6 PS license (not upgrade) if you picked it up at the sale from some months ago. Full CS6 licenses have been selling on FM for $325 to $375 in the last few months if you missed that sale.

May 13, 2013 at 05:14 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.12 #5 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

colinm wrote:
Butt covering.

That term has been in there since Creative Cloud launched. Creative Cloud has not yet had mandatory updates in over a year of operation, and Adobe has already stated (as have John Nack, Jeffrey Tranberry, and several other team leads and employees) updates will not be mandatory.

If Adobe discovered tomorrow that Photoshop CC had some gaping critical security hole that allowed remote access, sure, they might force an update. (Heck, I'd hope they would.) But shoving every update down your throat is not the intended behavior of the service, nor the historical behavior of the service, and at
...Show more

What I said:
Since Adobe can push out updates anytime they want without giving the users the option to stick with a tried and tested previous version...

to which you responded:
Updates are not forced; that's internet hysteria. Users have to explicitly accept them.

My statement was based on a reading of the Adobe Terms of Use, and is supported by explicit language in said contract that that gives Adobe the right to push updates without the user's consent, or even his knowledge. Therefore, to characterize my statement simply as internet hysteria (which implies an ignorance of the facts) would be wrong.

Whether you believe Adobe will choose to push updates without the customer's consent is not relevant to me. Buying decisions should be based on a review of the terms of use provided by the software vendor, not on the opinions of other parties who have no standing in the matter and are in no position to modify the vendor's contract language. Wouldn't you agree?

May 13, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.12 #6 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

This!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1212547/0#lastmessage

May 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.12 #7 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Tom K. wrote:
This!

Can we start a petition to restrict the Adobe rants to a single thread?

May 14, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.12 #8 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

DanBrown wrote:

Yes and no.

May 14, 2013 at 04:51 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.12 #9 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

So is this true for lightroom as well? Will LR5 only be available thorugh the cloud?

May 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.12 #10 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

boingyman wrote:
So is this true for lightroom as well? Will LR5 only be available thorugh the cloud?

Adobe apparently said no. But nobody knows in the long term, and some fear Adobe's commitment to keep LR available as a regular purchase may not be so strong as it looks.

Thom Hoggan has been writing interesting news entries in his blog about the aspects of this move to the "faux" cloud. One of the latest entries is about the fact all users of Adobe products part of CC now re-evaluate their needs. This actually also happens to LR as some people (like myself) fear a similar move in the future and would like to protect themselves from such a change...

May 14, 2013 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StarNut
• • •
p.12 #11 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

colinm wrote:
You've have to upgrade every third version to get soaked as on occasional upgrader, at which point you're putting $12.95/month ($699) up against $19.99/month ($1079.46).

I'm not sure where you get your numbers; mine are quite different.

I paid $199 in October 2010 to upgrade from CS2 to CS5. That was 2-1/2 years ago. Since CS7 isn't yet out, it might be reasonable to assume a 54-month cycle (as you seem to have) for three versions (my typical upgrade path).

So I most recently paid $199 to upgrade for 54 months, or about $3.69/month. That's nothing like $12.95/month you mention, or the $20/month Adobe wants out of me now.

Just curious....

May 14, 2013 at 08:26 PM
greg30127

p.12 #12 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Corel just posted this ad offering discounts to CS users:

http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=14900014

Hey, they're not sitting around, that's for sure.

May 15, 2013 at 07:17 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.12 #13 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

greg30127 wrote:

Hoping millions flock to Corel an other options so Adobe will reconsider their blunder.

May 15, 2013 at 09:02 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.12 #14 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Adobe believes it's a TINA world when it comes down to digital imaging tools. Do you really think media/entertainment/advertising/etc companies will abandon Abode? After all, the 80/20 rule rules.

May 15, 2013 at 09:09 PM
doogie2304
• •
p.12 #15 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

DanBrown wrote:

you can't start a petition, but for a 'reasonable' fee, you can subscribe to one...

May 15, 2013 at 09:56 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.12 #16 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

I just got an email from newegg with a 25% discount coupon for a year long cc subscription. Adobe is starting to feel the heat.

May 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM
greg30127

p.12 #17 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

WAYCOOL wrote:
Hoping millions flock to Corel an other options so Adobe will reconsider their blunder.

Yeah, but once you break the trust, it takes a LONG time to earn it back. So even if at this point Adobe did an about-face, there will still be a considerable number of people who will have a hard time trusting where they might go with customers in the future.

There will always be those who have been with Adobe who will stay with Adobe - a certain percentage of people get so set in their ways that they'll continue to use a product from a company no matter how poorly that company treats their customers. But I just think Adobe grossly underestimated the number of people they turned off with their latest decision, and how many they may lose over it. Corel's new ad is probably just the beginning, and their Facebook page is very active and they are replying to everyone as well - they are listening.

May 16, 2013 at 02:44 AM
jforkner
• •
p.12 #18 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

greg30127 wrote:

They may not be sitting around for PC-users; Mac-users...not so much.

Jack

May 16, 2013 at 01:18 PM
ange
• •
p.12 #19 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

greg30127 wrote:

Smart move by Corel, but it would have been way smarter to include older versions of PS, maybe even Elements. Would that many people really upgrade to PSP from CS 4, 5 or especially 6? Maybe Elements users would go for it. Think of the increased user base Corel might have taken from Adobe.

Andy

May 16, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.12 #20 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

ange wrote:
Smart move by Corel, but it would have been way smarter to include older versions of PS, maybe even Elements. Would that many people really upgrade to PSP from CS 4, 5 or especially 6? Maybe Elements users would go for it. Think of the increased user base Corel might have taken from Adobe.

Andy

Instead of just offering a discount, they should do the hard work of bringing the product up to date. I consider Painter to be a credible alternative to Photoshop if only they would do a better job updating what's under the hood.

Arka C.

May 17, 2013 at 09:19 AM
       13       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

13       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password